Crusader Kings II base game free on Steam

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Btw you get it free and own it permanently, unlike the usual play for free only during the weekend promo

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Btw you get it free and own it permanently, unlike the usual play for free only during the weekend promo

oh snap, thanks! this has been on my watch list, but it's also the genre of game that I used to love but every time I try one these days, I never can get into them for very long. Free is a great price, though!

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
yep, usually on sale for $10, but free is a no-brainer. I grab Legacy of Rome and Way of Life for total of $6.5 and I am good to go. Thinking about The Old Gods for $7.5, it's a bit pricey...

Oh and the offer ends on Sat morning, not thru the whole weekend, so grab it while it lasts.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
82 Metacritic (not always reliable, but at least an indicator). Thanks OP

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, nice! I wish I could get into it more. I've found I kinda have trouble with these types of games that are just completely open-ended, I tend to sit there like "Uh I have no clue what to do." I guess I need to be kind of guided, or at least be given some sort of goal to work towards, rather then leave it all up to me. I'm just a pleb.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Is it just "campaign map" gameplay or do you actually fight battles as well?
I've not played it, but from what I've learnt battles are fought at the grand strategy level on the map, you won't get a tactical battle screen where you get to control your units. Think Civilization I guess.

For those who never follow this game, it requires some DLC to feel complete, and that's where most of the negative reviews came from, and there are so many DLCs it's a little confusing. Based on reviews, the Legacy of Rome and Way of Life DLCs are highly recommended.

Also it is supposed to be very complex, so before you start, I highly recommend you watch some youtube tutorials so you don't have to waste a lot of time trying to figure things out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wow, nice! I wish I could get into it more. I've found I kinda have trouble with these types of games that are just completely open-ended, I tend to sit there like "Uh I have no clue what to do." I guess I need to be kind of guided, or at least be given some sort of goal to work towards, rather then leave it all up to me. I'm just a pleb.

I did remember to grab this last night and tried to play for a bit, started with the "Starter campaign" ...or so I thought. Assuming it would give me a series of tasks to hand-hold me through events, how things happen, what everything does....but no. It just started a game and I sat there for like 10 minutes, right and left clicking over the map and bringing up thousands of menus of nothing that I understood. Perhaps I am missing something, and I know these Paradox games are famously complicated, but damn if this thing doesn't have any kind of starter tutorial then I probably won't be running it again.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's often called a Marriage Simulator, because it is more focused on developing Family Lines than combat. There is combat, but it's more a filler than a focus.

I did remember to grab this last night and tried to play for a bit, started with the "Starter campaign" ...or so I thought. Assuming it would give me a series of tasks to hand-hold me through events, how things happen, what everything does....but no. It just started a game and I sat there for like 10 minutes, right and left clicking over the map and bringing up thousands of menus of nothing that I understood. Perhaps I am missing something, and I know these Paradox games are famously complicated, but damn if this thing doesn't have any kind of starter tutorial then I probably won't be running it again.

Paradox games are difficult to just play without any exposure to them. Often you need to take 5-10 minutes just to setup various things before unpausing for the first time. Don't expect to do well in a game until you've played it through a handful of times. Your best bet to understand how to play would be watching someone on YouTube do a playthrough. Quill18(more entertaining) or Arumba(more technical) are pretty good.

I'll probably grab this game, cause it's free, but I'm not sure if I'll play it. EU4 and HOI4 are more my style than CK2. Although I suspect if I did play it I might get addicted to it, so....

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That's kinda where I am. I've had it for a few months now, and every so often I'll get a burr for some '50,000 ft RTS', then I sit there paused at the initial game creation with zero clue what I should be doing for about 10 minutes before loading up something else instead.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's kinda where I am. I've had it for a few months now, and every so often I'll get a burr for some '50,000 ft RTS', then I sit there paused at the initial game creation with zero clue what I should be doing for about 10 minutes before loading up something else instead.

ah you know, I didn't even realize it was paused. :D I was looking for the timer control, but couldn't find it among the 3 dozen or so buttons and menus on the many-sided task bar.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
ah you know, I didn't even realize it was paused. :D I was looking for the timer control, but couldn't find it among the 3 dozen or so buttons and menus on the many-sided task bar.
Haha, probably something to be noted if you're so overwhelmed you don't realize that the game is paused. =)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It's often called a Marriage Simulator, because it is more focused on developing Family Lines than combat. There is combat, but it's more a filler than a focus.

Paradox games are difficult to just play without any exposure to them. Often you need to take 5-10 minutes just to setup various things before unpausing for the first time. Don't expect to do well in a game until you've played it through a handful of times. Your best bet to understand how to play would be watching someone on YouTube do a playthrough. Quill18(more entertaining) or Arumba(more technical) are pretty good.

I'll probably grab this game, cause it's free, but I'm not sure if I'll play it. EU4 and HOI4 are more my style than CK2. Although I suspect if I did play it I might get addicted to it, so....
lol, Marriage Simulator. Yeah that's more or less how I've heard it described.

I've seen Arumba and Quill on YouTube (Arumba can talk to damn fast for my liking though, but he's definitely really knowledgeable). VulcanHDGaming also has a CK2 series but I think that's the only one. Vulcan is so potent, I wish he'd do moar CK2.