Cruise ships still find a Haitian berth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Perhaps it's the idea of sunning yourself while being brought drinks by somebody who lives in a hut while not far away others are madly scrambling for what remains of their family under rubble and or on the side of the road watching their children starve. Agree with the ship still going there or not but I'm sure you can understand while some find it at least distasteful.

The solution is easy....
If it bothers you then next time you order a drink tip your waitperson $20 per drink. Other than that you can choose yo not go bar hopping!!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You really can't be as thick as you're pretending to be.

You have yet to answer a question I have asked. So lets not throw insults around. All you have done so far is appeal to emotion. That tactic works on children and liberals.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
You have yet to answer a question I have asked. So lets not throw insults around. All you have done so far is appeal to emotion. That tactic works on human beings.

fixed that for ya. ;)

We all know the only thing someone like you gets emotional about is money.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
You have yet to answer a question I have asked. So lets not throw insults around. All you have done so far is appeal to emotion. That tactic works on children and liberals.

Appeal to emotion? Where?

Foreign owned companies that export profits are of little domestic value to the third world.

You argue as if the options are 'foreign owned resort' or 'no resort'. Those are not the only possibilities, and certainly not the ideal ones from the point of view of Haiti.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
If anything they're doing good by helping the Hatian economy.

This. Imagine the negative impact on the Haitian economy if those cruise ships stopped coming. As tasteless as it seems.. it is beneficial to the Haitians.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As the CEO of Royal Caribbean said, it's the incongruity of the ship and people chillin' while others are dead (he said incongruity, I added the rest). It helps put in perspective just how selfish the human race is and how little we actually care about those out of our immediate circle.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Do you feel bad when you go to the local pub and are served by college kids who have a 600 sq foot apartment and living paycheck to paycheck? If that job were non-existent would they be better off? What would they do instead?

I don't know (or care) what the college kid would do but I'm betting most of the Hatians waiting on these rich tourists had something better they could have been doing.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Are you kidding? Corpses are rotting in the streets. They may be missing loved ones or grieiving or have someone that needs medical attention they don't have time to find. Have you no imagination whatsoever?

How sad for you people with no empathy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...iti-earthquake-death-toll-may-hit-200000.html

"We have already collected around 50,000 dead bodies," Paul Antoine Bien-Aime, Haiti's interior minister told Reuters. "We anticipate there will be between 100,000 and 200,000 dead in total, although we will never know the exact number."

Heaven forbid that some people might have to adjust theoir vacation schedule!!

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/17/cruise-ships-haiti-earthquake

Wow, what a saint, it was ok before eating your picnic while 60 miles away people were selling their children for $200 into de facto slavery, but now? How shameful!

I don't know what to think about this. On the one hand it is disgusting them still docking there, but then I have to ask how close is too close? Is it in poor taste to vacation 60 miles away from Port au Prince, out of range of the scent of decaying corpses but ok to dock at Domincan Republic on the other side of the island? Considering most of Haiti was a squalid and despicable hell scape before this, was it ok before but now that it's an extra-despicable hell scape it's worse?

Your faux-indignation just dont cut it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
This thread is fail. The cruise line donated food and water (which they couldn't have done without the ship BEING there). That's all they could do. They can't just pull into Port Au Prince harbor and let everyone come on board, space in the harbor is at a premium for unloading supplies. They would only be in the way of the US Navy and the various relief organizations. As the cruise line said, it IS the incongruity that some highly sensitive types find disturbing.

The fact is that the presence of the cruise ship helped people there. If the ship had NOT been there, then people would not have had the benefit of the supplies it donated.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
This thread is fail. The cruise line donated food and water (which they couldn't have done without the ship BEING there). That's all they could do. They can't just pull into Port Au Prince harbor and let everyone come on board, space in the harbor is at a premium for unloading supplies. They would only be in the way of the US Navy and the various relief organizations. As the cruise line said, it IS the incongruity that some highly sensitive types find disturbing.

The fact is that the presence of the cruise ship helped people there. If the ship had NOT been there, then people would not have had the benefit of the supplies it donated.

Do you dance on graves for your encore?