Crucial M4 FW 040H

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
For those who want it:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Fixes:

Version 040H includes the following changes:

Improved robustness in the event of an unexpected power loss. Significantly reduces the incidence of long reboot times after an unexpected power loss.
Corrected minor status reporting error during SMART Drive Self Test execution (does not affect SMART attribute data).
Streamlined firmware update command for smoother operation in Windows 8.
Improved wear leveling algorithms to improve data throughput when foreground wear leveling is required.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
How "easy" is it to update the firmware?
And is this FW a must when using 010G?

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009

Just double click and wait a minute or two.

Just did mine, no qɿodlems sbʁopo ʈɐʁ

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Is anybody else surprised how many firmware updates the m4 has received? By my maths it is on update number 6. Most of these have been to fix bugs as well as to add new features. Whilst this is a sign that the product is still being supported, it's also a sign that a lot of things which could have been improved on weren't, and comments such as this don't help either:

UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).
The m4 is an enthusiast product and a lot of enthusiasts use UEFI based motherboards and that percentage is only going to increase. Not having UEFI support is pretty bad.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
From what I gather the UEFI issues are moot if you just burn the .iso and switch to non-ahci in the bios ?

I havn't had an issue yet.
I'm really thankfull they have the .iso option, since we all aren't windows users :)
This was one of the main reasons for choosing the M4 for me

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

It is very easy to update the FW. I am experimenting with the kids' machine again with this FW. It didn't take long at all. I can't tell you if it is a 'must' for those who have 010G installed as I was running that for almost 2 months and nothing ever happened.

Sometimes you have to live dangerously......;)

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
What I don't want to to have to reinstall Windows if the firmware removes all the stuff on my C:...damn i'm a wussy lol

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
What I don't want to to have to reinstall Windows if the firmware removes all the stuff on my C:...damn i'm a wussy lol

You should always backup your OS drive when it comes to doing FW upgrades or anything that could potentially render your OS drive useless. Windows Image backup works-- I personally use Acronis True Image Home 2013.

With that said....I 'Rambo'd' my way through the kids' machine and upgraded the FW without any backups and it worked just fine. No corruption or anything.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You should always backup your OS drive when it comes to doing FW upgrades or anything that could potentially render your OS drive useless. Windows Image backup works-- I personally use Acronis True Image Home 2013.

With that said....I 'Rambo'd' my way through the kids' machine and upgraded the FW without any backups and it worked just fine. No corruption or anything.

You have another PC to Rambo stuff on it :p
I bet you wouldn't do that on your own ;)

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Wow.. what an update! AS SSD 4k single thread read speed is up 20% (21.33 -> 25.66MB) and write speed almost doubled! (44.41 -> 71.20MB)

This is only off my SATA II controller. I'll retest off a SATA III another day. Can anyone else confirm this gift from Crucial?

Edit... looked at another user's AS SSD score off Crucial. Exact same drive and capacity. It looks like my SSD is just 'back to normal' now.

Last edited:

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Wow.. what an update! AS SSD 4k single thread read speed is up 20% (21.33 -> 25.66MB) and write speed almost doubled! (44.41 -> 71.20MB)

This is only off my SATA II controller. I'll retest off a SATA III another day. Can anyone else confirm this gift from Crucial?

Wow! I am going to wait for more people to test this FW, but I will definitely report results when I flash.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Dammit...I downloaded the firmware...double clicked on it...PC reboot saying that comething has changed in the Win install and the only option I have is to continue or cancel...if I continue Win7 boots and firmware didn't update...same with the cancel option...

EDIT: lol worked!

Last edited:

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

If it were my only PC, I probably would be more cautious with upgrading. But, like I said, I would make a backup first before doing any update like this.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
If it were my only PC, I probably would be more cautious with upgrading. But, like I said, I would make a backup first before doing any update like this.

Yeah I did a backup first and updated! All is well so far!
Thanks for posting the update Burner27!

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
thank you, going to update now!

*EDIT* just installed using the .iso
no issues to report, updated from 010G... everything working as should

Last edited:

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
Interesting.

I'll hold off for a few days as usual, but I'll be interested to see if anyone runs into any issues.

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

Backed up my RAID array (4 x 256GB M4s), rebooted, switched to AHCI mode, booted into Windows, ran the updater once (it did all the drives), booted back into Windows, rebooted, switched to RAID mode, rebooted, booted back to Windows.

Everything is as it was........RAMBO!!!!!!

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Backed up my RAID array (4 x 256GB M4s), rebooted, switched to AHCI mode, booted into Windows, ran the updater once (it did all the drives), booted back into Windows, rebooted, switched to RAID mode, rebooted, booted back to Windows.

Everything is as it was........RAMBO!!!!!!

Hahahahah awesome!
Like Ramob, you charges a chopper on a horse with a bow!!!!
Good job mod!