Crucial M4 firmware update (000F)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

survey_sez

Jun 2, 2012
Corsair for RMA of a Crucial Drive? Typo?

whoops typo. yes it is a crucial m4 and was rma'd to crucial. i'm very reluctant to flash it to 000f as it's working flawlesly now in the p8z68-v pro with 0309.

roger your comment regarding rma stock with the latest fw... but as far as i'm concerned their flash utility is not to be trusted - regardless of the content of 000f.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What is the point of all this?

Is there something wrong with the firmware included with the M4 I bought about a month ago?? Everything seems to be working perfectly, is there something I will run into in the future if I don't upgrade the firmware?

Usually I avoid firmware upgrades unless totally necessary. Hell, I'm even avoiding video card drivers unless they are totally necessary, at least with AMD's drivers.

This.

If it aint friggin broken, why fix it.
You risk breaking it in the process of fixing what is not broken.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
There is one big reason to get this firmware update - the drive has a built in 'fail' after 5000+ hours. Yes, you read that right... after so many hours, every 30 minutes to an hour, your Crucial M4/etc SSD will simply stop working because it thinks it has run too long.

I got back from a trip, and BSOD after booting and putting in a movie. WTF. Restarted and checked logs; did a quick scan; nothing. Restarted the movie and BSOD again. Shit. (right?)

Google search and found a post at Overclock.net which has copy/pasted text from Crucial's website which recommends the firmware update for my issue (which has since been removed).

Couldn't get the Win7 firmware updater to work, but burning the ISO image and running that worked fine. My SSD no longer fails every 30 minutes.

What a friggin ridiculous issue. A software 'fail' based on clock value... Crucial needs some new programmers.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
This.

If it aint friggin broken, why fix it.
You risk breaking it in the process of fixing what is not broken.
Things were clearly broken otherwise they wouldn't release a firmware update anyway. Regarding the 5000 hour bug, the drive would appear perfectly fine until the counter was reached and then go boom.

Aslong as you are sensible and think logically, firmware updates don't often go wrong. By this I mean use a native chipset SATA port and use DOS/Linux based boot flashing instead of Windows. If you strip the process down into the simpliest possible form, the chances of failure are minimal.

survey_sez

Jun 2, 2012
...Aslong as you are sensible and think logically, firmware updates don't often go wrong. By this I mean use a native chipset SATA port and use DOS/Linux based boot flashing instead of Windows. If you strip the process down into the simpliest possible form, the chances of failure are minimal.

bull*&^t - the 000f update utility is a poorly written pos. i'm no friggin dummy when it comes to fw updates; yes i'm sensible and think logically also. those that had success were plain lucky.

Last edited:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I've come across similar problem with my system. System becomes unresponsive after 30min to 1 hour (clicking on anything yields nothing even if movie, EQ and all other graphical stuff keeps going) and a cold reboot is invariably required every time. My M4 firmware is 0009 and I've had it for about 7 months now. Reformatting Windows still yield the same result.

Here's hoping the firmware will fix all my woes and I can start enjoying my Steam purchases.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
bull*&^t - the 000f update utility is a poorly written pos. i'm no friggin dummy when it comes to fw updates; yes i'm sensible and think logically also. those that had success were plain lucky.

um...I updated my two drives and 5 for other people and that's lucky?

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Updated my M4 firmware to the 000F version and the freeze problem is now gone.

Thankfully we have the wonderful function of flashing firmware on SSDs. Without it, a lot of us would be forced to buy new drives every time problems like this occur.