Crucial CT2K16G4DFD824A (16x2 DDR4-2400) compatible with Z270?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Crucial makes their memory selector useless for buying elsewhere by using different part numbers for direct-from-crucial vs. retail.

Has anyone used their 2x8 and 2x16 DDR4-2400 kits from Amazon or Newegg with a Z270 motherboard? I'm leaning towards the ASRock Z270 Extreme 4.

Amazon 32 GB kit = CT2K16G4DFD824A, or CT16G4DFD824A for a single 16GBx1 stick
Amazon 16 GB kit = CT2K8G4DFD824A

I'd also consider suggestions for other brands, but Crucial has been working well for me for a very long time now.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
None of those appear on Asrock's QVL list either, so if you want to stay with Crucial, I'd send them an email asking if that RAM is compatible with the motherboard you want. They have internal access to that kind of information.

Or you could go with Corsair, G Skill, or Kingston RAM as they all have online 'memory finder' guides that make it easy to figure out what is certified to work.......unlike Crucial. Crucial definitely wants people to buy memory directly from them instead of retailers. It's really a PITA how they use different model numbers for the same stuff.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Crucial definitely wants people to buy memory directly from them instead of retailers. It's really a PITA how they use different model numbers for the same stuff.

Yes, very frustrating. But I've gone 15? 20? years now (it's lost in the mists of time :) ) without any problems with their memory other than figuring out which sticks to buy. It's hard to give up the "it just works" factor and try another brand. I've sent Crucial an email, hopefully they'll answer it.

Reactions: UsandThem

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good luck with whatever you decide, and hopefully they answer helpfully. That said, Z270 is pretty forgiving with DDR4, it should just work. We aren't talking about early X99 or Ryzen boards here, and the memory mentioned is relatively low frequency.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Crucial responded, and shared the "one weird trick" that's taking AnandTech by storm!

"If you need to find the reseller number for any part on Crucial, you can do so by comparing that part with another (I would recommend one with a different price). Once the compare window pops up, the base (reseller) part number will be at the top of the specifications list."

I just tried this and it works. Use the memory selector, find the RAM kit you want. Click the compare checkbox for it, then the compare box for some other kit. The word "compare" becomes a link to a new page that shows the retail part numbers like CT2K16G4DFD824A instead of the direct sales part numbers.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Crucial responded, and shared the "one weird trick" that's taking AnandTech by storm!

Good to know. I used to use their memory, but switched over to Corsair and G Skill a while back because they made it easy to find out what RAM was certified to work on their website.

At least Crucial has a way to get the info without having to contact them.