Crucial 128GB m4 question

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Im debating this or the Samsung 830 SSD drive.
Seems like the crucial is a little less in price, but I have a question. I heard that crucial comes with a marvell controller, and the Samsung doesn't
I believe my motherboard, ASUS P8Z68-v/Gen3 (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68VGEN3/) has a built in controller which is better than marvell. Is this true? If this is the case, does this make me not want the crucial?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Either SSD you get, just connect to a 3.0 SATA and enjoy it. Your not going to see a real world difference between either. They are both top notch top quality.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
Your motherboard's controller has nothing to do with the SSD's built in controller.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
There is a "rumor" going around, that 830's are degrading in performance. I don't know if this is true, just hearing around the net.

I have also heard that if you pop a cold-sore it will give everyone around you herpes, but I don't know if this is true, just hearing around the net. :thumbsup:

To the OP:

I own both drives(M4 for 1yr+, 830 for 2months+) and they both feel about the same for everyday general use(browsing, word, etc). I also want to note that the Samsung 830 is hooked on SATA2. I did a clean W7 install for both drives and have not noticed any degradation on either thus far.

One thing I like better is the build quality on the Samsung 830. The Crucial casing is mostly plastic while the Samsung 830 is half brushed metallic(it feels very solid and slick in the hand :cool:).

If both were the same price, I would pick up the Samsung 830 :cool:
If Crucial was $10 cheaper I would take Crucial.
If money wasn't an issue, I would pick up the Samsung 830

Here is another Samsung vs Crucial struggle thread for ya:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2220933

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
One thing I like better is the build quality on the Samsung 830. The Crucial casing is mostly plastic while the Samsung 830 is half brushed metallic(it feels very solid and slick in the hand :cool:).

Crucial M4 cases are painted aluminum. The only plastic is the thin spacer which may or may not be present depending on the model thickness (7mm, no spacer vs 9mm, with spacer).

Yes, the Samsung's have prettier cases though, however they are not actually "built" any better

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
Both are good drives. Get the less expensive one. I've had no issues so far with my Crucial M4.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Crucial M4 cases are painted aluminum. The only plastic is the thin spacer which may or may not be present depending on the model thickness (7mm, no spacer vs 9mm, with spacer).

Yes, the Samsung's have prettier cases though, however they are not actually "built" any better

My m4 cases feel just as "solid" as my x25m g2 and 320 series cases.

I agree with TJCS on the pricing. Samsung is a faster drive, and its ssd magician is nice to have, but for $10 less I'd buy the m4.