Crowfall- PvP MMO "With Consequences"

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
ermm... timer on website says "32 months".

Seconds, minutes, hours, days.

Though it's only a countdown until the full reveal of the game concept, it's not beta release. That is probably 6 months away or more.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
http://www.play2crush.com/

Sounds like a spiritual successor to Shadowbane.

If it's bug free and uses a stable game engine, I'll definitely be playing. Tired of the hundreds of WoW-clones, this sounds like a nice change of pace.

http://crowfall.com/

Shadowbane, not to be rude was pretty bad, one of the reasons it had an even shorter lifespan then most MMORPG's. You want PVP there is really only the FPS market, in a RPG setting with skills and such its hard to get any balance (or you balance till its so bland its more luck then skill to win- WoW), and without balance, you don't have a player base, victims leave and soon its a wasteland. Not that its not a great Idea, but in TRUE PVP the better players simply overpower the rest, and the rest soon leave. But here is to your hope of it being something good, it just might be, who knows.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Look really interesting for sure, gonna keep an eye on this one. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 4, 2009
I'd love it to work out however I've had a decade of disappointments from games that claim to being consequences back to mmo worlds

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
I'm cautiously excited, but I came from UO and loved that game.... my issue with it now is the generation that played SB/UO are in their 30s now. So we have to have a game that is setup to be friendly to that crowd. I am not going to grind for 3000 hours to get a reasonable character. I am not going to "level" for days bashing stupid shit to be able to compete. I'm not interested in quests. I'm interested in competitive PvP, in a 1v1 type fashion. In true UO style, where I can be good enough to do a 3v1 using positioning, movement, etc. I don't want to have equipment that lets me win (ala WOW).

If they have a game like this, sign me up. Otherwise, I don't have the time to play.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm cautiously excited, but I came from UO and loved that game.... my issue with it now is the generation that played SB/UO are in their 30s now. So we have to have a game that is setup to be friendly to that crowd. I am not going to grind for 3000 hours to get a reasonable character. I am not going to "level" for days bashing stupid shit to be able to compete. I'm not interested in quests. I'm interested in competitive PvP, in a 1v1 type fashion. In true UO style, where I can be good enough to do a 3v1 using positioning, movement, etc. I don't want to have equipment that lets me win (ala WOW).

If they have a game like this, sign me up. Otherwise, I don't have the time to play.

If gear doesn't matter and there's no grinding, then what are the "consequences?"

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I think you're looking for Call of Duty.

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
If gear doesn't matter and there's no grinding, then what are the "consequences?"

Clearly you never played UO :)

Land domination could be one, resources, resupply, etc... in UO you'd beat your opponents and they would drop all the stuff on their body, but it wasn't anything you couldn't just buy again. It was how the economy worked. In game players would craft the gear and sell it, players would buy it, and then fight one another based on factions, or guild warfare. The losing team in an engagement lost all their stuff, and made it easier for the winning team to resupply if THEY lost. It was a constant battle back and forth. And it was awesomely fun.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003

Land domination could be one, resources, resupply, etc... in UO you'd beat your opponents and they would drop all the stuff on their body, but it wasn't anything you couldn't just buy again. It was how the economy worked. In game players would craft the gear and sell it, players would buy it, and then fight one another based on factions, or guild warfare. The losing team in an engagement lost all their stuff, and made it easier for the winning team to resupply if THEY lost. It was a constant battle back and forth. And it was awesomely fun.

Like Eve

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Fun for the griefer, not the griefee.

Corpse camping is so much fun for basement dwelling nerds trying to wreak vengeance on the world for their bullying as a child.

Games like that are doomed to failure, the market has proven as much.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I have 0 hopes for this game but all props to them of they pull it off. Guy is right about the we're all 30 comment. We need a hardcore game without the hardcore time investment. The problem is the forum warriors who spent the last 10 years merging with their mom's basements and cultivating civilizations in there neck bears will shoot anything like that down. Obviously it's fine of someone who plays nonstop has an edge in stats/gear, I just wouldn't want them to be obscenely dominant. Shadowbane did a pretty good job of making gear better without making lesser gear irrelevant like in WoW. I just don't think we need a game quite as grindy as SB any more.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
seen several games in development like this with a small faction cheering that salvation is coming.

can't say any made any impact and not sure if any are still around.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I have 0 hopes for this game but all props to them of they pull it off. Guy is right about the we're all 30 comment. We need a hardcore game without the hardcore time investment. The problem is the forum warriors who spent the last 10 years merging with their mom's basements and cultivating civilizations in there neck bears will shoot anything like that down. Obviously it's fine of someone who plays nonstop has an edge in stats/gear, I just wouldn't want them to be obscenely dominant. Shadowbane did a pretty good job of making gear better without making lesser gear irrelevant like in WoW. I just don't think we need a game quite as grindy as SB any more.

so true it hurts.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
The big announcement & reveal is tomorrow morning. It's known at this point that the game will be going up on kickstarter as well. The developers have stated that they are using kickstarter to retain the maximum control over the game- they have other options to sell the game to a studio and release it that way, but then the major studio has control over things that might corrupt the original vision of the game. By using kickstarter, with enough backing they can finance and publish the game without compromising their vision.

Lots of info now up on the main site-

http://crowfall.com/#/

-It's going to be "buy to play", like guild wars 2.

-PvP focused, looting of inventory and on some server types some equipped items

-Deep crafting system with resources

-"Voxel Farm" technology, fully destructible world, castle sieges, tunneling under walls, etc

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I've payed little attention to the site since the announcement. Just read up on all the info they have released since then, its looking quite promising (from a design perspective anyway). Excited for the info dump that is supposedly happening tomorrow along with the kickstarter campaign.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
So what do we think about this? It's always tempting to say that this MMO does everything differently and then get all disappointed when it's just a WoW clone, but I really hate to say it but...it actually looks different enough to maybe get me interested again.

Procedurally generated worlds aren't hard and already done with voxel tech in games like minecraft, I like that worlds decay and get screwed over slowly until they're discarded.

I dunno I kinda like these ideas, really hard to say how this kind of dynamic world will play out though, without limitations on building and destroying worlds could be going to crap in just a few days with groups of dedicated trolls and whatnot.

Honestly I don't think there's enough there right now to justify backing the kickstarter for an entire full price copy, I'll keep my eyes on it over the course of the month and see what other media they release and see if they respond to community questions and concerns.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I like the concept, i threw $100 to it. The fact they got it playable parts, and not asking a huge amount of money seems good enough for me.

Between this and camelot unchained be nice MMO year.