Question Crosair rm850x (need recommendations)

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Hello good people of my favorite forum :)

I recently just completed a build. The CPUPSU cable barely reaches my motherboard. I can plug it in however my arctic liquid freezer II 280 is top mounted. The sleeve of this cable (round) is now a half an inch under the fan of the radiator and is slightly pressing against the motherboard heatsink. Not a great….

1) can you guys recommend a compatible CPUPSU extension cord which is flat? Not rounded. If I find one I can easily reinstall this cable without touching the heat sink or being in front of the fan

2) I also got lucky and got my hands on a 3080 TI. The GPU has three PSU cable PCIe slots. This power supply I bought only comes with two and it’s not the ones I like it has multiple connections on it (3) I believe it’s called Daisy. Can any of you guys recommend a compatible PCIe cable, well three of them, so I can replace and install into my GPU from my power supply. Also heard there might a bridge cable?

thank you so much in advance!!! It’s been about seven years for me since my last build and I’m having a hard time determining exactly what is compatible and what I need for various websites. obviously I don’t wanna buy anything that’s not compatible.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Some PSUs come with a pcie that splits to 2x on one end. You should be able to find cables on Amazon though. Otherwise swap the PSU for something else and sell the one you have. Parts tend to be excessive in price compared to the whole unit.

Reactions: rcoops72

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Some PSUs come with a pcie that splits to 2x on one end. You should be able to find cables on Amazon though. Otherwise swap the PSU for something else and sell the one you have. Parts tend to be excessive in price compared to the whole unit.
Thank you. Yup that is how I have the GPU connected now. one stand a lone and one using the split additional 4 pins so one cable is providing 2 connects and the other one is one to one. I read that if the GPU needs the power and with this type of setup it it might not be able to pull the power it needs only using one cable,

many advice on a CPU extender? Need a compatible flat one

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Just dig around on Amazon and you should be able to find something for the CPU. Just because the GPU ones have a split on the end doesn't mean you won't get the right amount of power. The PSU does a handshake with the component to get the right output needed. Its kind of funny that some of these newer GPU options use as much power as a whole PC in most cases.

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Not totally flat because cables are individually sleeved, not bundled. You can select the length of the cable, so you won't need an extender.
About $20 plus shipping, so not cheap, but you get exactly what you need.
Thank you!! What a great site.
I selected my PSU and added the 8 pin EPS (CPU) cable (ModFlex) and changed the length to max 1000 MM. it looks somewhat flat so I should be good to go.
And thanks as a rookie I def selected the right cable?

Also for the GPU cables (3 of these) these are the correct ones right for a 3080 ti? Rather not have the pick tails

“8 pin PCI-E (GPU)”

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Just dig around on Amazon and you should be able to find something for the CPU. Just because the GPU ones have a split on the end doesn't mean you won't get the right amount of power. The PSU does a handshake with the component to get the right output needed. Its kind of funny that some of these newer GPU options use as much power as a whole PC in most cases.

Thank you!! Great links. If I do not go cablemod I will grab the last link you provided.
and yes I opened-it up and was like wth 3 cables!

Do you have any Amazon links for 3 GPU pci-e cables that are compatible with no pick-tails? I am having no luck

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I tend to mod things to make them work for me and not the OEM. I redid some cabling in my car for the MMI and spliced in the GPS / LTE functionality to a new head unit using some FAKRA splitters to just splice them into the antennas that were being used with the factory unit as well as keeping the OEM unit functioning in the background. I also converted the HDD to an mSATA for snappier boots / response to commands since it was OE ~8 years old and mechanical drives + driving = failure eventually.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Thank you!! Great links. If I do not go cablemod I will grab the last link you provided.
and yes I opened-it up and was like wth 3 cables!

Do you have any Amazon links for 3 GPU pci-e cables that are compatible with no pick-tails? I am having no luck
Look at the AsiaHorse cables

Asiahorse Power Supply Sleeved Cable for Power Supply Extension Cable Wire Kit 1x24-PIN/ 2x8-PORT (4+4) M/B,3x8-PORT (6+2) PCI-E 30cm Length with Combs(Dual EPS Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KCSZHDX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_AJMK8XEMPGRQMZFM8GNG

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
The Comeap one works well, I'm using it on a TX850M. Make sure you get the one for Corsair RM PSUs specifically, the PSU-side cable pinouts are different for each PSU brand/line.
Thank you! Yup started with selecting RM850x

and three of these is correct?

“8 pin PCI-E (GPU)”

Any advice in regards to the cabling for these 3? or is it really just my preference

Mod mesh or modflex?

and classic or pro?

Thank you!