Crock-pot brunswick stew

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I know Instant Pot is the new cool kid on the block but I wanted to showcase the good old crock-pot. I pretty much use the crock-pot for two things, 1) smoked brisket chili and 2) brunswick stew. Yesterday I was in mood for some brunswick stew so I got out the crock-pot and some frozen smoked pulled pork from the freezer. I like to add some leftover pulled smoked chicken as well but I didn't have any so I made do with the pulled pork.

frozen pulled pork in the crock-pot with some BBQ rub
n1QexS2.jpg

diced tomatoes, corn, BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, butter, hot sauce, and various spices added
kf5CTaW.jpg

All mixed in and crock-pot set to low.
zZhGkkb.jpg

About 8 hours later and breakfast is ready.
xCv0wpa.jpg

Brunswick stew might not be familiar to people outside of the South but it's my favorite BBQ side. Thanks for looking!

Reactions: stargazr

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
you are not supposed to use frozen meat in a crockpot. I believe they mean uncooked meat but I would still thaw it out first.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
you are not supposed to use frozen meat in a crockpot. I believe they mean uncooked meat but I would still thaw it out first.
I do it all the time. It's frozen leftover smoked meat. I have zero worry. There are lot of things people tell you not to do or they don't know you can do. People think you have to defrost the meat first before cooking. I've taken completely frozen pork butt and smoked it while frozen. The meat will thaw out while in the smoker cooking and it only adds about an hour or two to the final cook time. It's no different than taking frozen meat straight to sous vide water bath and cooking it. I do that all the time as well.

Reactions: pcgeek11