Critique or advise on my planned AV/firewall/network setup pls

Jibby

Oct 3, 2002
Finished uni, and will be starting work in a few months' time after a much needed break, so plenty of changes in my life to come. :) I'm going to be reorganising my computer setup at home, and looking forward to trying out some antivirus and firewall software (free and otherwise) that I have not touched before.

I'm going to get a 4-port router (something like the D-link DI-704UP) and have three computers - my general computer, my gaming computer and the family computer - connected to it. I'm never going to have any two computer connected to the router at the one time though, which I'm assuming will mean that even if one of the computers get a malware (particularly the family computer ;) ), none of the other computers will be affected. This should work out well for trying out different AV/firewall software, I think.

Planned AV and firewall setup:
My (most important!) general computer - Kapersky Personal and ZoneAlarm Pro
My gaming computer - Antivir and ZoneAlarm free
Family computer - Avast and ZoneAlarm free or NIS2003 that I have lying around

I'm hoping this will allow me to try out Kapersky and ZoneAlarm Pro as they are quite highly recommended, but at the same time, I also get to try out free AV/firewall on the other computers. One day, when I'm more comfortable with what AV software I want to use, I may get my friend to teach me how to setup a hardware (linux?) firewall.

A few questions...

1. Kapersky Personal non-pro or Pro?
2. I welcome any recommendations for AV/firewall to try out, particularly free ones, as I think I'm about 80% set on trying out Kapersky+ZoneAlarm Pro for AV/firewall I have to purchase. If Kapersky, say, doesn't work out, I may try NOD32 or Panda Titanium later.
3. Any problems with the AV+firewall combinations I've planned on using, i.e. any incompatibility problems?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I use Kaspersky and Zone Alarm Pro on my main PC, which is also my gaming PC - zero problems