Critique My Setup

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I'm trying to buy a pair of cameras and a bunch of corresponding accessories for a research project. I'll be buying a pair of identical cameras that need to be triggered electronically (IR can't be used because of some other optical instruments I'm using). Resolution isn't really an issue - anything above 4 MP or so is running up against the diffraction limit because of the object size.

I set up a couple of similar systems for other labs previously, but I had to use their equipment they had lying around (both Nikons). Thus, using Nikon stuff would be the least effort, but I'm not terribly attached to it. I'd like to spend $2500-$5000. The problems I'm running into are that Nikon doesn't list some of the accessories I need (e.g. PB-6 bellows) on their website anymore, and I'll be ordering using a university PO, so I can't buy from a minor vendor or B&M shop.

I previously achieved electronic triggering by snipping some MC-30 remote trigger cables and hooking them up to a digital output with a transistor so that the shutter was open while the bit was set. I used the bellows to allow suitable magnification, which can vary somewhat. A lens solution is probably feasible, but I think the bellows give the flexibility I would like. I would also like a flash with very low duration (e.g. 1/40,000 s FWHM is probably fine), and one that can recycle very rapidly (<1 s) and use AC power is ideal, but I haven't found that yet.

So, with all of that out of the way, here is what I have so far, all Nikon because that's what I'm most familiar with:
Code:
Item	                Part #	Price per	Quantity	Sum
Camera Body	       D300S	 $1,700.00 	2	 $3,400.00 
Remote Trigger Cable	      MC-30	 $100.00 	2	 $200.00 
Remote Flash Cable	      SC-29	 $95.00 	1	 $95.00 
Flash Speedgun	             SB-900	 $495.00 	1	 $495.00 
AC Adapter	          EH-5A AC	 $50.00 	2	 $100.00 
Lensing Bellows	Bellows	 ? 	2	 ?
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding another make of camera that will work in this price range or where I can buy all of this stuff in one go? Thanks in advance.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
You could save a grand ($500 each) by going with the Nikon D7000 vs. the Nikon D300s. That will give you (arguably) just as good, or better, results and allow you some extra money for the other parts of your setup.

I don't know if you need the remote flash cable... the body can trigger the flash wirelessly. You can also get an IR remote for shutter release. They're about $10-15. Not sure if that will work or not with your setup.

Also, check at B&H Photo... they have most everything and are probably large enough where they could take your PO.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
On a side note.. must be nice getting your hands on all this gear and having the University pay for it! :)