Critique build for brother

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
here's plan for my brother's gaming box:

FX-55......(already have)
Abit AT8, heatpiped northbridge, six 3.0Gbit SATA, optical SPDIF out
2x1GB 2-3-2-6 Kingston HyperX....(already have)
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Corsair HX 620-watt modular
74GB Raptor.......(already have)
Lite-on 16x DVD burner
...and thinking of getting Scythe Infinity for cpu cooler.

gaming will be on a 24" widescreen.

Thanks for any input.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

Why spend so much on a video card to use with a has-been CPU? :thumbsdown:

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Blain

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

b/c its the fastest videocard (and DX10 card) and can be had for $366 shipped.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

For a 'Lifer', you're completely behind the curve in regards to product knowledge.

Not all games take advantage of dual-core CPUs, and last time I checked an AMD K8 core clocked at 2.6GHz is enough to make good use of a video card like the 8800. It would be a dramatic jump in framerate from a 7900/X1900 series card, especially at higher resolutions.

It's true, you can get better framerates with a faster CPU, but if the upgrader's primary concern is gaming, their money should go to a better video card first and a CPU upgrade second.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

Not all games take advantage of dual-core CPUs, and last time I checked an AMD K8 core clocked at 2.6GHz is enough to make good use of a video card like the 8800.

It's true, you can get better framerates with a faster CPU, but if the upgrader's primary concern is gaming, their money should go to a better video card first and a CPU upgrade second.

Oh yea, it'll definitely be fast enough. If we get the scythe infinity, we plan to run the FX-55 at 2.9-3.0Ghz.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Ive thought about getting a 8800gts to match with my Athlon 4000, but i cant justify it until I upgrade my 15inch LCD. Maybe Ill get a 19inch in a few months, then in another few pick up an 8600 when they've gone down in price a bit

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Scythe uses sleeve bearings on all their fans, not a good idea for CPU HS/F in my opinion.

I would go with the Zalman CNPS-9700 or Thermalright Ultra-120 with your choice of fan.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: rileychris
six 3.0Gbit SATA,

Why six? If you are buying these new, larger drives are fairly cheap these days. Save the power and slots, and go with 2 large SATAs.

What? :confused:

I think he was listing the ports on his motherboard...

fishmonger12

Sep 14, 2004
Looks fine. I would just be on the lookout for cheap socket 939 dual core procs to replace that fx-55 if/when not having a dual core proc significantly hinders your performance. From what I understand that'll be in a year or two.

Also depends on the games you'll be playing.

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
Tiger Direct has the FX-60 for like $369.00 if you can believe it. Might be worth the switch.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Operandi
Scythe uses sleeve bearings on all their fans, not a good idea for CPU HS/F in my opinion.

I would go with the Zalman CNPS-9700 or Thermalright Ultra-120 with your choice of fan.

we want to go with heatpiped towers like infinity, tuniq or even monsoon tec perhaps.

what's wrong with sleeve? they're the most quiet fans around.

engiNURD

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
sleeve fans arent as reliable, and will die faster than a ball bearing fan. though, you'll notice it, because they become loud, lol. so just replace it as soon as you hear noise from the fan :p

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006

we want to go with heatpiped towers like infinity, tuniq or even monsoon tec perhaps.

Go with the tuniq tower. It's higher fin density allows better cooling. I have an infinity and the relatively lower fin density means I have to crank up the fan to get the nice oc.

The reason why sleeve bearing fans aren't optimal for CPU hs/f's is because:
1. They dry out faster than ball bearing fans.
2. When they dry out, they don't tend to give any warning signs. For example, when a ball bearing fans goes bad, it makes some serious noise. I had one dry up and it sounded like a jackhammer, but this is a good thing for the fan cooling your cpu because you know somethings wrong. In my experience, when a sleeve bearing fan dries out, it just plain stops.
3. Sleeve bearing fans only have acoustic advantages at low rpm's.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Have you not seen the Ultra-120 and Zalman 9700? Both are heatpipe based tower heatskinks and very comparable in performance.

Zalman and Thermalright both consistently make some of the best heatsinks around. The Ultra-120 has the benefit of letting you choose your own fan while the Zalman has a low noise integrated low noise ball bearing fan.

As previously mentioned sleeve bearings are a poor choice (in my opinion) because they have a shorter live, are more susceptible to heat, and usually don't give any warning before they fail (ball bearing fans make a ton of noise before they go out).