Creative Xi-Fi with 7.1 speakers reverts to 2/2.1 speakers

9nines

Sep 6, 2006
I used to have a system with XP Pro and an Audigy 2 sound card, using 7.1 speakers. I noticed about once a month, I would get no sound from back speakers. I would check my creative console and it would be on 2/2.1 speakers. I woudl change it back to 7.1 and it would work fine.

I have a new system, with a new sound card, Creative Xi-Fi Gamer. I use Vista Home Premium 64 now. For about 5 weeks I have no problems - it stays on 7.1 speakers. Just now, I noticed I was getting no sound. I checked and the Creative Console was set on 2/2.1 speakers. I changed it to 7.1 and rebooted and have sound now.

What causes this? Does plug-and-play get interrrupts messed up and the card does not have proper I/O and the console reverts to 2/2.1 - that is only guess I can make.

Is it a common problem? Any solution?

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
The problem is probably just creative. or Perhaps it's just not synced with what windows thinks is default.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
X-Fi cards are in high demand, you can sell it for close to what you paid and buy a good sound card made by a good manufacturer instead.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
IIRC there was a setting somewhere that allowed a program to change audio settings. So I use to have this problem with certain programs. Not sure if I ever fixed it.