Creative EMU-0404 USB DAC - Equalizer?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Anyone owns this device? This is the USB DAC not a PCI card for computer. From the old reviews I see that it only has 3 or 4 band equalizer adjustments. The lowest band available was 80hz. Is there a driver update or software that allows 30hz frequency band adjustment? I need to be able to adjust this band. Without it it's worthless for me. Anyone has super cool magic? thanks.

cheez

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Btw, I don't own this DAC yet... which is why I'm asking. Trying to save myself hassle having to buy one, fight with the thing and end up having to return..... This is what forums is for aight? ke ke ke ke ke...

cheez

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Just realized who posted the question.
I violated my "no feeding the trolls" policy
:(

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Don't be posting crap if you don't know anything about the device nor do you have any experience with, equalizer options in particular. You have been posting nothing but worthless short comments, that you make all the time. Make valuable contributing posts that applies to the subject in question. Try that like some anandtech senior members do. ;)

cheez

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006
Don't be posting crap if you don't know anything about the device nor do you have any experience with, equalizer options in particular. You have been posting nothing but worthless short comments, that you make all the time. Make valuable contributing posts that applies to the subject in question. Try that like some anandtech senior members do. ;)

cheez

I think most people with HTPCs tend to use HDMI out which would bypass your DAC.

Have you considered this subforum: http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Or possibly Head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/

cheez

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006

cheez
Just realized who posted the question.
I violated my "no feeding the trolls" policy
:(

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I think most people with HTPCs tend to use HDMI out which would bypass your DAC.

Have you considered this subforum: http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Or possibly Head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/
I posted the question at head-fi yesterday and checked today but nobody has clue.

NO, IT DOES NOT HAVE THIS CAPABILITY.

caps for geniuses

So this clearly shows you have absolutely no idea about this product and no experience with it.

I've already told you don't bother posting if you are not going to post something that is contributing to the topic in hand. Always make helpful comments, not insulting, or trolling.

cheez

Last edited:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
You probably need to give Headfi a bit of time to reply. I used to be active there (have an account under the same name) and I know there are heaps of 0404 USB DAC owners there. Perhaps they have are too busy listening to be reading Head-fi now? ;)

May I know how you set up your HTPC in the source/HTPC -> (cable) -> amp/HT processor -> (cable) ->Display sense? You've thrown the HTPC word around for quite a while but I don't think I've seen you details the specifics, not even your HTPC specs (other than your legacy video card).

Yeah, and I'll take a stab at a solution: Have you tried EQ-ing from a media player that supports it (whether built-in or via external plug-in)? If a driver-level solution does not work, an application-based one should work fine.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
You probably need to give Headfi a bit of time to reply. I used to be active there (have an account under the same name) and I know there are heaps of 0404 USB DAC owners there. Perhaps they have are too busy listening to be reading Head-fi now? ;)

May I know how you set up your HTPC in the source/HTPC -> (cable) -> amp/HT processor -> (cable) ->Display sense? You've thrown the HTPC word around for quite a while but I don't think I've seen you details the specifics, not even your HTPC specs (other than your legacy video card).

Yeah, and I'll take a stab at a solution: Have you tried EQ-ing from a media player that supports it (whether built-in or via external plug-in)? If a driver-level solution does not work, an application-based one should work fine.
I used to hang around at headfi when I was young too. I don't frequent there as most folks are headphone junkies...

Why do you want to know my setup in detail so much? Are you trying to pick on me or somethin'.. You are the guy that talked crap about my Goddess ATi Radeon X1950XTX card a long time ago didn't ya. And this time too recently. Stop following me around so much. It seems some people come after me or follow me around wherever I post something....

Since this is your second time asking about my spec, here you go:

Computer power supply powered by Unreal Power 5M power cable.
Source: Asus Xonar DX7.1 PCI-E sound card
Cable from source to speakers: Wireworld Terra-6 RCA cables

I DON'T USE BLU-RAY GHEY DRIVE ANYMORE BECAUSE OF REQUIREMENT OF STUPID UPDATES EVERY WEEK.
So no blu-ray movies for now.

Display: Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY. DVI-D cable connected from ATi video card to the display through DVI blade / port. Running in 1:1 pixel map.

Speakers: Focal CMS65 speakers. Left speaker powered by White Night Power 5M power cable. Right speaker powered by White Night Power 2M power cable.

Is that enough info for you?

As for the third-party equalizer from downloads, I think they are worthless junk. They don't work well, and most importantly, THEY DON'T HAVE 30Hz BAND TO ADJUST. They only go down to 60 or 55... My Fubar2000 goes down to 55hz band which is pathetic. Also it doesn't sound right. Fubar is what I use for music playback and is nice and has good sound but equalizer sucks and sounds ghey. The hardware equalizer adjustment from Asus Xonar card is MUCH better.... that's why I am hesitant on jumping to any other DAC's..... I am thinking about getting a Creative EMU-0404 USB device as it has the best sound in the world (beat $30+k DAC's). But if it doesn't have 30hz band HOUSTON WE GOTTA PROBLEM. But the thing is, I never listened to the device. Never tried it before. So maybe I'm just whining too much? Maybe I don't need to worry about adjusting the 30hz band with this device? DON'T KNOW.

cheez

Last edited:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I used to hang around at headfi when I was young too.. I don't frequent there as most folks are headphone junkies...
Not very bright, are we? :awe::awe::awe:

Why do you want to know my setup in detail so much? Are you trying to pick on me or somethin'.. You are the guy that talked crap about my Goddess ATi Radeon X1950XTX card a long time ago didn't ya. And this time too recently. Stop following me around so much. It seems some people come after me or follow me around wherever I post something....

Since this is your second time asking about my spec, here you go:

Computer power supply powered by Unreal Power 5M power cable.
Source: Asus Xonar DX7.1 PCI-E sound card
Cable from source to speakers: Wireworld Terra-6 RCA cables

I DON'T USE BLU-RAY GHEY DRIVE ANYMORE BECAUSE OF REQUIREMENT OF STUPID UPDATES EVERY WEEK.
So no blu-ray movies for now.

Display: Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY. DVI-D cable connected from ATi video card to the display through DVI blade / port. Running in 1:1 pixel map.

Speakers: Focal CMS65 speakers. Left speaker powered by White Night Power 5M power cable. Right speaker powered by White Night Power 2M power cable.

Is that enough info for you?
Long-winded way of saying: HTPC -> TV (via DVI) & Active speakers (via RCA cables and a TRS-to-RCA adapter).

I'm not interested to know what TV or speakers you have, just how things are setup. You clearly missed that. :awe::awe::awe:

As for the third-party equalizer from downloads, I think they are worthless junk. They don't work well, and most importantly, THEY DON'T HAVE 30Hz BAND TO ADJUST. They only go down to 60 or 55... My Fubar2000 goes down to 55hz band which is pathetic. Also it doesn't sound right. Fubar is what I use for music playback and is nice and has good sound but equalizer sucks and sounds ghey. The hardware equalizer adjustment from Asus Xonar card is MUCH better.... that's why I am hesitant on jumping to any other DAC's..... I am thinking about getting a Creative EMU-0404 USB device as it has the best sound in the world (beat $30+k DAC's). But if it doesn't have 30hz band HOUSTON WE GOTTA PROBLEM. But the thing is, I never listened to the device. Never tried it before. So maybe I'm just whining too much? Maybe I don't need to worry about adjusting the 30hz band with this device? DON'T KNOW.
Back on-topic then. I remember the 0404 USB being compared against $500 DACs such as the Cambridge Audio DAC. It does punch well above its (price) weight but you are delusional if you think it goes against $30K DACs. A Stello DA100 is still easily above it.

It's odd that you proclaim yourself an audiophile and yet are considering EQ (which is generally regarded as taboo/sound quality degradation). If you think you need more punch or bass weight from your speakers, get either: 1) other speakers that can dig deeper, or 2) a decent subwoofer that will extend your bass more than your speakers can physically manage even with a proper EQ.

Regards.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
you are delusional if you think it goes against $30K DACs. A Stello DA100 is still easily above it.
Have you tried out any of the $30+k DAC for a month and compared the sound against the EMU-0404? It may be you who is delusional for jumping to wrong conclusions. ;)

It's odd that you proclaim yourself an audiophile and yet are considering EQ (which is generally regarded as taboo/sound quality degradation).
That is incorrect. You can use equalizer and can be classified as super audiophile. It depends on what frequency range you want to adjust, and there is no right / wrong answer to audio.

If you think you need more punch or bass weight from your speakers, get either: 1) other speakers that can dig deeper
You ignorant, I never said I wanted more bass. I wanted to adjust the 30hz band so I can decrease it. I don't need much of low-end bass. I don't watch movies like you junkies.

2) a decent subwoofer that will extend your bass more than your speakers can physically manage even with a proper EQ.
Wrong again. Subwoofer only makes music blurry. The bass will overpower the treble and you will miss out some of the details. Subwoofer also lowers SQ. And it only introduce more noise into the system. You must be new.

cheez

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Cheez,

Not very bright, are you? Let me spell it out: if a sub-$1000 DAC, like the Stello DA100, sounds better than a 0404 USB, anything higher up to $30K will also sound better.

The rest of your mumbo jumbo are delusional.

You are either determined to follow your own mind (just seeking agreement from forums) or just incapable of comprehending people's advice. You lack the smarts to be a troll.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Mr. Zorander,

I am bright. If Stello DA100 is that good I am sure Patrick would say so and he would be using that for tweaking / building the systems. I too never knew about Creative EMU0404 USB DAC till he brought attention about it. It looks cheap and thought it would sound bad. It's supposed to be pretty much the best DAC found in the world. How does Stello DA100 sound? Do you own one? Please post your impression and review about it. I would take the time read it.

And I am not delusional and I don't do mumbo jumbo either. I am serious and I don't go troll like skeptics do on forums. ;)

cheez

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
I remember the 0404 USB being compared against $500 DACs such as the Cambridge Audio DAC. It does punch well above its (price) weight but you are delusional if you think it goes against $30K DACs. A Stello DA100 is still easily above it.

Let me spell it out: if a sub-$1000 DAC, like the Stello DA100, sounds better than a 0404 USB, anything higher up to $30K will also sound better.

I made a direct switch from a dCS stack into EMU 0404 USB and got better sound than ever. I bought the EMU only for my secondary system, but compared it against the dCS just for fun...I was very surprised that the EMU was better, for $200 it is crazy. dCS is very expensive, their most expensive Vivaldi stack costs $110,000.

I also have Benchmark DAC1 which I have owned for a decade. I have made many comparisons, the EMU is clearly better. The transparency is clearly the best in the world. Sources from dCS, Cary Audio and Benchmark are very veiled in comparison, like a thick blanket is in front of the music. With EMU, there is NOTHING in front, it's like opening up a window to the music. EMU doesn't sound as smooth as the others, but this is because it doesn't have any veil. If you have a thick blanket in front, it sounds smooth.
The edginess of EMU is easily solved with crystals, then it keeps the open transparency, while sounding silky smooth.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I made a direct switch from a dCS stack into EMU 0404 USB and got better sound than ever. I bought the EMU only for my secondary system, but compared it against the dCS just for fun...I was very surprised that the EMU was better, for $200 it is crazy. dCS is very expensive, their most expensive Vivaldi stack costs $110,000.

I also have Benchmark DAC1 which I have owned for a decade. I have made many comparisons, the EMU is clearly better. The transparency is clearly the best in the world. Sources from dCS, Cary Audio and Benchmark are very veiled in comparison, like a thick blanket is in front of the music. With EMU, there is NOTHING in front, it's like opening up a window to the music. EMU doesn't sound as smooth as the others, but this is because it doesn't have any veil. If you have a thick blanket in front, it sounds smooth.
The edginess of EMU is easily solved with crystals, then it keeps the open transparency, while sounding silky smooth.
Thank you for your comments! I find your info always valuable.

I too had a Benchmark DAC1 before. It sounded blurry. Even when I can hear the microdetails the details themselves were blurry too! Like a layer of honey syrup covered the surface of toast bread. I had to return it for a refund cause it sounded blurry. My Asus Xonar sound card sounds better and more open lol.

I will eventually get the EMU-0404 USB DAC once I get some money for it. :)

cheez

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Cheez,

Not very bright, are you? Let me spell it out: if a sub-$1000 DAC, like the Stello DA100, sounds better than a 0404 USB, anything higher up to $30K will also sound better.
More expensive doesn't necessarily mean they sound better. It doesn't work that way. You have to keep in mind that audio is very ruthless business. Save yourself money and go with a cheap low power consumption DAC like EMU-0404 or even Asus Xonar..... I spent thousands on DACs before but they sound like ass. I had to return them. :D

cheez

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
More expensive doesn't necessarily mean they sound better. It doesn't work that way. You have to keep in mind that audio is very ruthless business. Save yourself money and go with a cheap low power consumption DAC like EMU-0404 or even Asus Xonar..... I spent thousands on DACs before but they sound like ass. I had to return them. :D

cheez
Yes, price has nothing to do with it. In my experience, the smallest DAC gives the greatest transparency without colorations.

Big DACs have larger capacitors and transformers which results in more vibrations that veils the microdetails. With my Benchmark DAC1 I placed the toroidal transformer outside the chassis and got a new world of microdetail. With EMU0404 USB, the transformer is already outside (in the power plug).
No matter how much I modified the Benchmark DAC1 it doesn't sound as good as EMU 0404 USB.
The engineers who build big DACs have permanently destroyed the sound. It's like they are selling speakers wrapped in a blanket, that you can't remove no matter how much you try.

Another big problem is power consumption, the higher the wattage is the more noise is generated by the system. This results in edgy and fatiguing sound.

The smoothest and most transparent sound comes from the lowest wattage system.

dCS sounded toned down and veiled like a blanket, but the insanely high power consumption compensated for it by adding edgy noise to the sound. It sounded very messy and damaged. Some people may like this colored sound, but I don't. It was the worst DAC I have ever owned, after a year I couldn't stand it any longer and sold it for 1/10th of retail price.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
That is awesome info, Patrick. Cheez taking pencil and paper jotting down notes! So it wasn't my ears being bad after all. I can hear differences. I always had negative results with the more expensive DACs/amps.

dCS sounded toned down and veiled like a blanket, but the insanely high power consumption compensated for it by adding edgy noise to the sound. It sounded very messy and damaged. Some people may like this colored sound, but I don't. It was the worst DAC I have ever owned, after a year I couldn't stand it any longer and sold it for 1/10th of retail price.
That sounds very processed.D: I don't like that kind of sound especially when they add fake edginess and coloring the sound like that. I like natural, and extreme transparency. Transparency and microdetails are really addicting. I get the urge of wanting more and more. But when it comes to warm / bassy / veiled sound, it gets tiring pretty quickly.

thanks!

cheez