Creating your own Start>Run keywords

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I remember some time back I read a quick trick that would allow you to do what Windows system components do, i.e. much like how you can go to Start>Run and type "regedit" to get the registry editor, you could make your own shortcuts in a directory, and Windows would look there as well to find executable and shortcut files when you simply typed in a word.

For example, I made a folder called H:\Shortcuts, and in it I placed a bunch of shortcuts. One of them was opera.lnk, and it linked to F:\Opera 6\Opera.exe. Now, I can go hit Windows Key+R, type opera, and open Opera from there, instead of bothering with going through the Programs tree. I like it because it's eliminated the need for the Quick Launch bar, and it's quicker. I can type op and Windows will fill in opERA for me.

Now, I forget how I did it. I'm up for a reformat soon, and this is so freaking useful, that I'd hate to not have it. I've tried a bunch of keywords on Google for it, and I can't seem to find it. Any help? All I remember is that there was some dialogue or something that had the Windows system directory, and I added "H:\Shortcuts" to it, and now the Run dialogue looks in H:\Shortcuts as well as C:\Windows\sytem32"

By the way, if you're going to try Googling for answers, try Blingo.com - it uses the Google engine, but every so often they give out prizes :D (I've been trying to train myself to use that instead of Opera's built-in Google search).

That aside, I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO DO THAT RUN TRICK. OMGPLZHELP KTHX

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Err, sounds like you simply added that directory to your path. Do that in My Computer/Properties/Advanced....

antsct

Sep 22, 2005
It's very simple. All you have to is put the shortcuts you want into WINDOWS\system32 folder.
For example just say you make a shortcut to Photoshop. You could create a shortcut to photoshop called pshop, put it in system32 then at the run dialogue type pshop and it will launch.