Creating a partition just for Win7 for new SSD?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I currently run a Momentus XT (512GB) and just picked up a 90GB SSD. Even though I am already running AHCI I assume I should just reinstall Win7 instead of creating a new partition?

I'd rather create a new partition, just for Win7 (hate to lose data) but I don't know how I'd go about this. Acronis from Seagate only lets you do so much.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You can install win 7 on the SSD, or copy your old system partition over to the SSD. Acronis does do that, though, you may need to do it in two steps.
You backup your system partition to a file, then restore from file to SSD.
To make sure it is aligned, (In case of a older version of acronis, then just make two partitions on the SSD, a dummy 1MB partition, and the rest goes to the other partition.)

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Its already such a small sized SSD 90GB ,, all you can do is install OS and all your apps...put your pics and videos go to another hard drive..... also games and data drive is your Momentus. No need to cut that 90gb in partitions. This 90GB SSD will be your OS drive and be fast boot times and app launches.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
You can install win 7 on the SSD, or copy your old system partition over to the SSD. Acronis does do that, though, you may need to do it in two steps.
You backup your system partition to a file, then restore from file to SSD.
To make sure it is aligned, (In case of a older version of acronis, then just make two partitions on the SSD, a dummy 1MB partition, and the rest goes to the other partition.)
I already have over 250GB filled on the Momentus filled with Win7/Games, etc, etc.

Will Acronis let me copy just Win7 over individually as a seperate partition or should I just reinstall?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I already have over 250GB filled on the Momentus filled with Win7/Games, etc, etc.

Will Acronis let me copy just Win7 over individually as a seperate partition or should I just reinstall?
Acronis does a whole image copy.
Unless you want to uninstall the games, then it is better to just reinstall in your case.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Guys Windows Image Backup ,,,,, works like a charm,,,,,, no need for acronis .

you choose to create a image and choose external source. then you make a recovery CD so you can boot and place that image back on hd. gl

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Guys Windows Image Backup ,,,,, works like a charm,,,,,, no need for acronis .

you choose to create a image and choose external source. then you make a recovery CD so you can boot and place that image back on hd. gl
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? How am I going to take >250GB of data and put it on a 90GB SSD?:confused:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? How am I going to take >250GB of data and put it on a 90GB SSD?:confused:

Magic friend magic
Q6600 DAW SSD silky smoothe aero Winblows
GL, GB, BJ, regards,
-Armen Kardashian

aviator78

Aug 12, 2012
Connect the SSD to your computer and disconnect the HDD. Just freshly install Win7 on the SSD and do NOT make any partitions on the SSD by yourself. It could end up in a major performance drop.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001

There is no way to do what you want other than deleting files/data until you have less than the target drive. Then you can clone the drive to the SSD with something like Macrium Free, and it will shrink the partition to fit the SSD ..

Re-installing sounds like your best option..