Creating a Forum Website?

JTaylor2005

Nov 27, 2018
Hi All!

I'd like to start my own forum for a car I'm interested in. I'd like a proper domain name for it as well. I am getting rather confused with it all as I've never made a website before. From what can gather I need 3 things.

1) A domain name.
2) A hosting server?
3) A tool to build the forum with.

I am unsure of the best tool or how to link all these together :/
Is there a website that offers the whole package? Hosting, creation tool and a domain or will I have to do them all separate?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There are literally hundreds and probably thousands of resources on how to do this. A google search will give you all you need.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
From what can gather I need 3 things.

1) A domain name.
2) A hosting server?
3) A tool to build the forum with.

No, two things. You need a domain name and a web host. Any decent hosting service is going to have a control panel with a bulk script installer like Fantastico or Softaculous included.

1) Buy the domain from any registrar.
2) Buy a web hosting account from any any host. Try WebHostingTalk.com for offers.
3) When you have an account, go into cpanel, find a forum package you like, click "install" and poof, you're done.

Once you do your research on which host to use and which of the dozens of available forums to install is done you can do the entire thing in under 5 minutes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's not that many free forum programs out there but there are a few. Phpbb and Simple Machine Forum are two that come to mind. Not sure of the others. Most are paid now.

Play with them on a local test server to see what you like, then you just need to find a host or server provider. If you don't expect much traffic and don't care too much about control, a shared hosting plan is probably good enough. Otherwise you can get a server at a site like OVH. And yeah you'll want a domain name too. Make sure you register it yourself, don't go with those "all in one" hosting deals where they do the domain too, as it may be hard to get it back if you decide to switch hosts. I don't know if that's still a thing though, been a long time since I've done the shared hosting thing. I have a server at OVH and handle everything myself.

Before you even do this though you will want to familiarize yourself with basic Linux server administration and basic security at the least.