Create local network using existing wifi as broadband source

Joseph4

Apr 6, 2017
Hi all,

I think I have a relatively simple query but would appreciate any input on the best way to achieve it:

I am considering moving into a shared office space where wifi will be provided. What I would like to do is to have my own local network with VPN at router level using the existing office wifi as the broadband source.

Rough map:

Office wifi -> my router/local network (with VPN) -> my devices (by wifi & ethernet)

What's the best way to achieve this?

Cheers!

banuazizi

Apr 9, 2017
Access point, connects to WiFi and gives LAN connection out. Connect LAN connection to DD-WRT capable router, install VPN Server on it. All your devices that connect to your router's WiFi and will be behind a VPN

Joseph4

Apr 6, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I guess the point I'm struggling with is finding the right AP that will do that client mode and output to ethernet via GB

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you want to setup a VPN server you will need the owner of the connection to forward the port to your router, and idealy you'll want your router to have a static (local) IP. This is also going to create a double NAT, but not really a big deal as you only need to worry about your side.

Definitely doable though and probably how I'd do it myself, that way you are still in control of your own network and secured from the rest, essentially treating it as direct internet.

For the AP that can connect to the wifi in client mode, check this out:

https://www.amazon.ca/Netis-Wireles...ie=UTF8&qid=1491776453&sr=8-1&keywords=wf2416

You can set it to act as a wifi client, so it connects to a wireless network, then provides connectivity through the ethernet port. From there you can plug your firewall or other device that will run your network. Or if you're satisfied with the settings provided you ca just plug a switch directly into it. I think it does it's own NAT.

Joseph4

Apr 6, 2017
Red, thanks very much for the reply.

Forgive my naivety - why would the wifi owner need to forward port to me? VPN would be allowed ordinarily, is this different?

If the set up is as follows: <Office Wifi> ----- <My AP acting as client> ----- <My router with VPN> ----- <My Devices>

Appreciate the guidance

Cheers

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh wait, are you trying to VPN out of the network? I thought you wanted to setup a VPN server and VPN in, ex: from home. If you want to VPN out to a server elsewhere or a service, then the owner won't need to do anything, unless to do outbound port blocking.