Crazy Machines II with Nvidia Physix

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Has anybody gotten this combination to work? I have it installed along with the last Nvidia Physx drivers but it refuses to activate the 20+ Ageia Physx levels...

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Well, I know from all the other threads that the only real game that can use NV Physx is Warfighter 2 and some maps from UT3. I have Mass Effect and can try it. If you notice, I think that list is all games that use Physx, not the ones that support it on the new SDK.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
"he NVIDIA PhysX SDK is in use in a wide range of games on a full range of platforms" from the link. I assume that that means it is using the Physx SDK which should become active if there are drivers installed on an nvidia system.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
I'd check this link. http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html Same list it looks like, but it spells out that these are only Ageia games. I would think that if all these games worked with the new NV physx, they would be marketing the shit out of it.

While I don't know alot about SDK's and API's, I would think that you would have to completly rewrite the Ageia one to look on the graphics card instead of a dedicated card.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I understand what you are saying although I think what Nvidia is trying to do (and some benchmarks have shown) is that their video cards can accelerate physics better than the Aegia board (I think Nvidia bought them to get the SDK which is what developers use for making the games).

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
If the game has some sort of hardcoded check for a PPU to unlock content, it's going to need a patch.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Ryland
I understand what you are saying although I think what Nvidia is trying to do (and some benchmarks have shown) is that their video cards can accelerate physics better than the Aegia board (I think Nvidia bought them to get the SDK which is what developers use for making the games).

Right, physics does run better on a GPU then the PPU. Just the nature of the beast. They bought the original Ageia SDK, modified it to work with GPU and re-released it.

As aka1nas said, most of the games on that list were prob hardcoded to use the PPU, which is why they don't automaticlly work with NV. GRAW 2 must have either been coded to look for any physics, or they were the pilot partner.

As for the list, since NV is now the owner of the original Ageia SDK, which has been transformed into the NV SDK, they can say that all those games are "NV SDK", even if they don't run on it.

Also, after reading the Physx's FAQ's in the video thread, I'm thinking most of those games use physx, but not hardware accelerated. ie GPU or PPU.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
So hopefully a patch will be released to make CM2 work with the NVU physix.