Crazy Japs + Computers = Shinto Ceremony?

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
I think that might be the problem with Microsoft. Thats their strategy for fending off viruses.

Edit: Bad spelling

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Someone's been playing too much MOH: Rising Sun.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I find nothing offensive about the word Japs. I think people that do need to get a life rather than complain about silly things.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I find nothing offensive about the word Japs. I think people that do need to get a life rather than complain about silly things.

While I don't find it personally offensive, there are others here that may become offended. There are other ways to communicate the idea of what race is involved. This sort of title, if for no other reason than pure courtesy, should be avoided when speaking publicly.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Are you Japanese?

Ask a confederate soldier if they were offended by the word n*gger and they'd say no too. But they weren't African American so their opinion is moot, as is yours.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Are you Japanese?

Ask a confederate soldier if they were offended by the word n*gger and they'd say no too. But they weren't African American so their opinion is moot, as is yours.

Maybe it's just me, but japs and n!gger have little to do with each other.

Why is it that Japanese people get offended over the word "Japs" but Jewish people have no problems being called "Jews?"

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

Are you Japanese?

Why is it that Japanese people get offended over the word "Japs" but Jewish people have no problems being called "Jews?"

Maybe it's just me, but 'Jap' and 'Jew' have little to do with each other as well. Jap is a term that is usually used in a derogatory sense, whereas Jew is not.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Well over 80% of Confederates that fought NEVER owned a slave.
The word Jap is highly offensive to the peoples of Nippon. Read, "War Without Mercy",
by John Dower. Its about the racial propaganda of WW2, on both sides of the Pacific.

The Shinto's are very superstitious in alot of their beliefs, just as most other religions
are. All belief systems are strange to those that do not embrace them.

EDIT: John Dower is married to a Japanese woman who retains her Japanese citizenship.
His books on Japan are honest and painful at times to write, so he says.(Pulitzer Prize)

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: pulse8

Are you Japanese?

Maybe it's just me, but 'Jap' and 'Jew' have little to do with each other as well. Jap is a term that is usually used in a derogatory sense, whereas Jew is not.

What makes a curse word a curse word, or a derogatory word a derogatory word...it is all about perception...hell blacks use the word n!gger all the time, its ok for them to call each other that, but as soon as a white person utters that word all hell breaks loose.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
uh oh. this is turning into a "howcomeblackpeoplecancalleachotherniggerandwecan'thuhuhuh?" thread again.... :Q

Meh. If you can't deal with a casual racial slur, it's your problem. I have a completely different viewpoint on racial slurs used with the intent to wound with words, though (i.e. KKK Member: "You f---ing n----r!"). Then I like to punch people in the face and throw dead fish.

:wine::)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
in regards to Japs vs Japanese...only american-japanese seem offended really....are you Japanese or just someone that wants to be or a whistleblower?

My wife is Japanese...I hear so much nonsense everyday of what being Japanese is about, what a Kanji means, what Shinto means, etc all by some stupid American that thinks because they have a kanji tat and a pig-metal Katana or every product San-Rio (america) has made in the US the last 10 years they are Japanese by association.

Same thing with the word n!gger....it's always some white person in the crowd blowing it out of proportion when the actual 'dark skinned' person in the group thought it was funny. There is a big difference between the acceptable (for some) "hey what's up, n!gga!" vs "you are a f=ing n!gger!"....saying things like those Crazy Japs or those Crazy Asians is done in play not in slamming them as a group.

rolleye.gif

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
From my brief understanding of the Shinto religion. It is an indigenous nature religion in which priests have to bless those things that are not nature-made(manmade) so that their intrusion does not mess up the harmony...Sort of like Feng Shui

Thus having priests saying prayers over the laptops is nothing out of the ordinary. I have seen many a picture of Shinto priests blessing new car purchases

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
From my brief understanding of the Shinto religion. It is an indigenous nature religion in which priests have to bless those things that are not nature-made(manmade) so that their intrusion does not mess up the harmony...Sort of like Feng Shui

Thus having priests saying prayers over the laptops is nothing out of the ordinary. I have seen many a picture of Shinto priests blessing new car purchases

I wish they'd bless my alarm clock. I have no idea how the thing works, after having it for six months. It's not like I'm operating it... it's more me, trying to goad and convince it to wake me up. :frown:

wampa

Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Amorphus

I wish they'd bless my alarm clock. I have no idea how the thing works, after having it for six months. It's not like I'm operating it... it's more me, trying to goad and convince it to wake me up. :frown:

is it a Sony by any chance? You can probably slip it in next to the laptops when they bless a new batch of them.

:D

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus

Just get you a trunk monkey and stick it in your closet. Give him a nerf bat and the alarm clock.