Crappy HD 4000 beating HD 7660D in openCL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Then you should know that there's no "finish" in a ray tracing bench like there's no "finish" in a ray tracing render.

Think about it.

Sigh :( Yes, but that is not even remotely close to approaching a photo-realistic rendering. What "finished" is has been evolving since the late 1960s and excellent results can be produced on CPU & GPUs on a decent enthusiast computer/workstation. It is possible to define "finished" as a ray which no longer has sufficient luminescence to be visible. In a highly reflective/refractive environment, this would mean the tracing of a larger number of "bounces" that would not be able to be done in realtime (without a CPU or GPU farm).

I realize that this is just a benchmark, but since they used a relatively small number of rays, the image is very noisy or lacking in detail if you prefer.

That entire screenshot is crazy-noisy, including stuff that's not part of the picture. It's a 256 colour picture. You can see dithering everywhere, not just the ray-traced portion.

Very good point, hadn't noticed that first look. Thanks!

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I realize that this is just a benchmark, but since they used a relatively small number of rays, the image is very noisy or lacking in detail if you prefer.

Dude, it was done over a crappy iGPU on a given amount of time, of course it will look crappy. Do it over the CPU and it will look even worse.

Looks like you don't understand a flying thing and you only came here to show off.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Dude, it was done over a crappy iGPU on a given amount of time, of course it will look crappy. Do it over the CPU and it will look even worse.

Looks like you don't understand a flying thing and you only came here to show off.

Nope. Wasn't here to show off, just made a comment. I'm sure that you are way ahead of me, nonetheless: welcome to my ignore list :thumbsup:
BTW, PBRT produces some stunning renderings on my Ci7.

Last edited:

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Nope. Wasn't here to show off, just made a comment. I'm sure that you are way ahead of me, nonetheless: welcome to my ignore list :thumbsup:
BTW, PBRT produces some stunning renderings on my Ci7.

Luxrender is based on PBRT. Nice try, anyway. The whole point of Luxrender is running it over the GPU or network rendering to be way faster and essentially be usable by digital artists. Also, PBRT stopped being developed back in 2010.

First Google result much?