Craig Furguson's "No More Britney" jokes speech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
It's part of the game. She wouldn't be where she is if it weren't for the tabloid media establishment. It both makes AND breaks stars. It is part of the lure for aspiring "artists" to have everyone look up to them as a fashion/sex symbol. But then they screw up and the media turns on them. You don't actually think that she's famous because she's talented, do you?

Personally, I would love to see E! News and Us Weekly burn to the ground, but I have absolutely NO sympathy for pop/movie stars who can't handle the attention. The only exceptions for this I make is if someone becomes famuos accidentally, or if they are actually talented and do interesting work.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: preslove
It's part of the game. She wouldn't be where she is if it weren't for the tabloid media establishment. It both makes AND breaks stars. It is part of the lure for aspiring "artists" to have everyone look up to them as a fashion/sex symbol. But then they screw up and the media turns on them. You don't actually think that she's famous because she's talented, do you?

Personally, I would love to see E! News and Us Weekly burn to the ground, but I have absolutely NO sympathy for pop/movie stars who can't handle the attention. The only exceptions for this I make is if someone becomes famuos accidentally, or if they are actually talented and do interesting work.

Don't forget People.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: ThePresence
He talks more about it...

Two thumbs up for what he's done, and four thumbs up for how he's explaining his stance further.

From the video:
I'm amazed that NOT poking fun at someone has become a news story.
I agree, except that he looks completely hammered in that vid. :p
I kid. But really, he does look like he spent the night behind a bar.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: eits
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

he's got a lot more respect from me.

i completely agree with craig ferguson about this and i get a little annoyed whenever i see people talk ****** about celebrities they've never met and videos of paparazzi tearing into people like camera-wielding piranhas... i get especially annoyed whenever people crack jokes about rosie o'donnell or mel gibson or donald trump or tom cruise, etc. in the forums... no matter what you think, making fun of celebrities because of their hard times or mistakes they've made or their personal beliefs is just high school as hell.

To a point i agree. to make fun of Britney for her troubles is wrong. To make fun of anyone for a illness is wrong.

But i see no trouble making fun of Tom cruise for his ideas on psychotherapy or his religion. Or Rosie and Trump having the fight.

I don't mind making fun of someones beliefs or when they are hypocrites (such as Rosie). but i do draw the line on illness's and personal troubles.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: geecee
That's a hell of a monologue. Good job by Ferguson. A little weird though that the audience seems to be laughing at some really inappropriate times.

At one of "those places you find at the beginning of the phone book" people talk like that all the time. And people laugh their *sses off. It is true that people who are sober and listen to what people who were drunks think is somehow "logical thinking" when they are drinking, is franky, hysterical.
Nice sharing by Craig.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
So brittney spears walks into a bar... I'm not sure how this goes but at the end she shaves her head.

EDIT: wow. That was actually really good.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove

This is pretty much my view. You can't happily ride the roller coaster up to the top, and then talk about how life is unfair when the drop comes. The obsession over celebs' lives isn't a side affect of them being rich and famous, it's the cause. I think it's perfectly valid to make fun of Britney or any other celeb for stupid decisions.

I do agree that there's nothing funny about someone being ill, but you should still know that you're always a target. As a celebrity you pretty much know that when you die, some people you never met will cry, and others will say "good, i was tired of hearing about him/her anyway." If you don't like it, find a job out of the spotlight.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Hell of a monologue. Thanks for sharing OP. Another monologue/speech I'd like to hear is the Conan harvard speech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
OK, I understand what a lot of people are saying, but have you considered this?

The thought of being watched all the time will eventually make you go insane if you let it get to you. The fear of being watched while changing clothes, using the bathroom, having a childs birthday party, having an argument with a spouse....these are all private moments, and you're always going to have to live with the thought "someone's peeking through the curtains".

I for one think that this CAUSES the weird behavior we see in famous people--not the other way around. It's the equivalent of being slowly tortured and brainwashed.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy

i completely agree with craig ferguson about this and i get a little annoyed whenever i see people talk ****** about celebrities they've never met and videos of paparazzi tearing into people like camera-wielding piranhas... i get especially annoyed whenever people crack jokes about rosie o'donnell or mel gibson or donald trump or tom cruise, etc. in the forums... no matter what you think, making fun of celebrities because of their hard times or mistakes they've made or their personal beliefs is just high school as hell.

To a point i agree. to make fun of Britney for her troubles is wrong. To make fun of anyone for a illness is wrong.

But i see no trouble making fun of Tom cruise for his ideas on psychotherapy or his religion. Or Rosie and Trump having the fight.

I don't mind making fun of someones beliefs or when they are hypocrites (such as Rosie). but i do draw the line on illness's and personal troubles.

some of those people bring the problems on themselves though.

however, props to ferguson. makes me like him more:thumbsup:

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: waggy

some of those people bring the problems on themselves though.

however, props to ferguson. makes me like him more:thumbsup:

who cares if they bring problems onto themselves? live and let live... why get wrapped up in the lives of people who don't mean anything to you? yeah, neat... mel gibson made antisemitic comments whenever he was caught drunk driving... that means you need to beat old news to the ground with half-assed jokes? there are MILLIONS of no-named people who make dumbass mistakes and comments... would you go day to day making comments and jokes about them just because you're so perfect? who fvcking cares? really?

imagine a time where you made an ass of yourself and got really embarrassed because everyone found out about it. then, imagine a million douchebags who aren't any better constantly making fun of you for it and not letting it go and, subsequently, created an identity for you that isn't even close to accurate, but everyone bites anyway... what would you feel like? it's not like these people can go back in time and undo the dumb things they've done, but they can't exactly get over it because a bunch of nutsac gossipers and jokesters can't get over it, either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah...but it's Tom Cruise for chrissakes! I personally take issue when he puts his unborn child's life in danger (buying ultrasound machine and "training himself" to use it b/c all physicians are "quacks" in his mind), and criticizes others with real psychological distress (the whole post-partum thing) b/c he's simply an ass. I agree with your points, but not regarding Tom Cruise. He deserves the sh1t that comes to him b/c he projects so much of it himself.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Bringing this back from the dead, because someone just emailed the vid to me and I remembered how awesome this speech was.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Bringing this back from the dead, because someone just emailed the vid to me and I remembered how awesome this speech was.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I didn't see it the first time around and it's well worth watching.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad

Thanks for bumping this thread. I didn't see it the first time around and it's well worth watching.

I don't watch his show, so I wonder if he's kept to what he decided that night.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com

yea thanks...i really enjoyed it as well. i think it is similar to one anchor taking a stand about not reporting about Paris Hilton.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool1

yea thanks...i really enjoyed it as well. i think it is similar to one anchor taking a stand about not reporting about Paris Hilton.

Mmmm.... Not really. The Anchor simply felt that Paris was a self promoting attention whore and that there was more important real news to report. And he was right. How messed up are our priorities when we have soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, North Korea is buying Chinese missles, congress can't pass a bill to protect our borders and the #1 news story is some over priveledged tramp who had to go to jail for three weeks over a DUI and license revocation beef?

Craig sees BS as being in the same situation he was in when he drank. He knows what she's going through. He knows why she's acting like she is... and it isn't funny. He said in the beginning that humor is supposed to bring joy... or knock on people of power who are in control of thier lives... not dump on people who are deeply flawed and have their flaws on display for everyone to see. I'm pretty sure in his mind he now sees BS jokes as akin to clubbing a baby seal. It's too easy. And it glosses over the fact that a mother of two has some very serious issues. And because of that he feels uncomfortable poking at them.

At the beginning of the video he descrbed his epiphany... He had raked Kevin Costner over the coals for something and then ran into him at a party a few weeks later. He knew KC was pissd at him. Yet KC was polite and cordial to him. KC made the choice to be polite rathar than rip into Craig, even though he totally deserved it and it would have been very easy...

Do you aim your barbs at the soft targets? The people who have real problems that need to be dealt with... or do you point your humor at people who truly deserve it? Craig made his choice and I applaud him for it.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: zerocool1

Mmmm.... Not really. The Anchor simply felt that Paris was a self promoting attention whore and that there was more important real news to report. And he was right. How messed up are our priorities when we have soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, North Korea is buying Chinese missles, congress can't pass a bill to protect our borders and the #1 news story is some over priveledged tramp who had to go to jail for three weeks over a DUI and license revocation beef?

Craig sees BS as being in the same situation he was in when he drank. He knows what she's going through. He knows why she's acting like she is... and it isn't funny. He said in the beginning that humor is supposed to bring joy... or knock on people of power who are in control of thier lives... not dump on people who are deeply flawed and have their flaws on display for everyone to see. I'm pretty sure in his mind he now sees BS jokes as akin to clubbing a baby seal. It's too easy. And it glosses over the fact that a mother of two has some very serious issues. And because of that he feels uncomfortable poking at them.

At the beginning of the video he descrbed his epiphany... He had raked Kevin Costner over the coals for something and then ran into him at a party a few weeks later. He knew KC was pissd at him. Yet KC was polite and cordial to him. KC made the choice to be polite rathar than rip into Craig, even though he totally deserved it and it would have been very easy...

Do you aim your barbs at the soft targets? The people who have real problems that need to be dealt with... or do you point your humor at people who truly deserve it? Craig made his choice and I applaud him for it.
Well said.