Cracking down on Jaywalkers

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...aywalkers-at-vienna-metro-station-105125.html

I am glad. They cause accidents.
I hope it lasts all summer and the policy gets adopted in Prince William as well.

Sounds good but they'll need to stay there permanently to really make an impact (pun intended).

I also think the state should take it a little farther and amend the statute so that after two jaywalking tickets points will be applied against the licenses of jaywalkers for multiple tickets.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I vote for 3 strikes and you can be ran over with no consequences to the driver and all damages to the car has to be paid by the jaywalker. :p

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
waste of resources IMO.

having lived for 5 years in philly, people jaywalked all the time and there were no issues. the rest of the country must being doing something wrong :p

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
waste of resources IMO.

having lived for 5 years in philly, people jaywalked all the time and there were no issues. the rest of the country must being doing something wrong :p

Philly is where jaywalking was invented. People were jaywalking there before roads were built.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
There is a simple solution to this: build a pedestrian overpass.

Better and cheaper solution - use jersey walls or some other barrier to block off pedestrian access to the street except at the designated crossing point.

jerseywallresize.JPG

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's all situational; without jaywalking NYC would grind to a halt. In areas where cars dominate there should be stricter enforcement than in areas where pedestrians dominate.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I hate jaywalkers in the city I work in. They just start walking across out into the stret unexpectedly. When I almost drill them with my car, they give me dirty looks. Uhhhh, how about you walk about another 50ft down the road, then cross so I can know to at least expect you there.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It's all situational; without jaywalking NYC would grind to a halt. In areas where cars dominate there should be stricter enforcement than in areas where pedestrians dominate.

I'm fine with this. What I'd rather see is a big crackdown on traffic violations by bicycle riders. Mabye it's time to triple or quadruple the fines on riders who blow through red lights and stop signs and other grossly unsafe acts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm fine with this. What I'd rather see is a big crackdown on traffic violations by bicycle riders. Mabye it's time to triple or quadruple the fines on riders who blow through red lights and stop signs and other grossly unsafe acts.

Oh god yes, cyclists need to be stopped. They somehow think they occupy a unique space where they can ignore all laws that affect pedestrians as well as all laws that affect vehicles.

I've almost been killed by crazed idiots on a bike far more often than by any car.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Get dem Jaywalkers!! good to see some PD's have some free time still, and enough LEO's to go around.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Here in metro Boston, these Puerto Rican guys walk into full traffic with no concern, on every street. Cops don't care at all. Smh.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...aywalkers-at-vienna-metro-station-105125.html

I am glad. They cause accidents.
I hope it lasts all summer and the policy gets adopted in Prince William as well.

do you realize that most police departments are extremely busy and that if they are assigning people to do this, while it generates revenue, it means robberies, rapes and murderers are going univestigated and patrols to prevent more serious stuff arent occurring.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
do you realize that most police departments are extremely busy and that if they are assigning people to do this, while it generates revenue, it means robberies, rapes and murderers are going univestigated and patrols to prevent more serious stuff arent occurring.

Yeah, cuz lord knows cops standing around the street prevents murder and rape.

NOT!

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Free market solution: give cars and pedestrians equal rights. This would mean a person jaywalking is the one at fault if hit by a car.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Free market solution: give cars and pedestrians equal rights. This would mean a person jaywalking is the one at fault if hit by a car.

Ummm.....there is no market here period.

Also cars are forced to yield to jaywalking people because cars always win in a collision.

I supposed if you wanted to do away with ticketing people you could do so by altering the jaywalking laws to make them similar to the laws for cars when street lights go out, i.e. a person can proceed but they must do so with caution and at their own risk if they are outside of a crosswalk. However if they get hit then a judgement of fault can go either way instead of automatically being against the driver in a civil or criminal case.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
That must mean that Vienna cops have eradicated the town of crime, gangs, rapes, robberies, vandalism, drunk drivers, speeders, and can now focus on jay walkers.