Cracked exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
So the exhaust on our 2003 Mazda B2600 pickup cracked right after the catalytic converter I think it is. How would be the best way to repair it? Or should it be replaced entirely?

Total n00b here btw.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
You mean the exhust pipe?

If its a small crack it can be welded if its large or cracked due to rust/damage then just cut out and replace with new pipe.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Are you doing the repair or is someone else?

If it's small I'd gouge-grind out the entire crack, plus 1/2" on either end, then re-weld it.

If the crack is big and gaping I'd cut out the pipe section and weld in a new one (like Marlin suggests) or cut out the bad stuff and do a scab weld.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Are you doing the repair or is someone else?

If it's small I'd gouge-grind out the entire crack, plus 1/2" on either end, then re-weld it.

If the crack is big and gaping I'd cut out the pipe section and weld in a new one (like Marlin suggests) or cut out the bad stuff and do a scab weld.

Im getting someone else to do it. Its a small crack. The 1st idea sounds best to me.

Another question, Now as soon as I heard to odd sound I parked the car, but what are the effects of a cracked exhaust pipe?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Im getting someone else to do it. Its a small crack. The 1st idea sounds best to me.

Another question, Now as soon as I heard to odd sound I parked the car, but what are the effects of a cracked exhaust pipe?

You'll just leak exhaust under the vehicle and it'll be a bit louder. Depending on the location you may get exhaust fumes inside. It'll run fine.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
teenagers in their parents 325i will want to race you as well, hearing your exhaust upgrade and assume youre a tuner. :biggrin: :whiste: ;)

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
teenagers in their parents 325i will want to race you as well, hearing your exhaust upgrade and assume youre a tuner. :biggrin: :whiste: ;)

This will be your biggest problem. Start carrying a 12 gauge and improve the gene pool as opportunities present themselves.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
This will be your biggest problem. Start carrying a 12 gauge and improve the gene pool as opportunities present themselves.

my exhaust is busted right at the muffler, so i get them all the time. usually it will be kids in riced out hondas/ acuras/ nissans tho. and i dont want to get rid of them, they are a good source of entertainment!

ive been trying to get lift time at my friends shop since i bought the car to get it welded up, but hes been so busy i havent bugged him much to do it. im trying again tomorrow, but i hear we are going to lift a 4runner. probably not have time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.