CPUs out in 2010?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
one of my PCs in an old conroe e6600 from 2006 (can't believe it's still going tbh. As in, me still using it).

i'm wondering what will be the better midrange choice in the 2nd half of the year? I assume i9 will be the top end. I also assume, there won't be a decently priced six core chip out there either? i have no idea on the AMD side.

if i upgraded now, i imagine it would be a decent upgrade from my current setup, but i'm looking to leave it till 2010

i imagine it would then do me ages after that.

anyways, mostly i do video encoding and a decent amount of gaming. until gpu encoding happens in a way that isnt totally crap then i'll still need the cpu to do the work. home video - HD source, and several hours of it for each vacation.

i'll probably get an SSD for the OS drive at the time but that will be sorted out then. no way to foretell how that market will be in 6-9 months time.

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Any of the new Clarkdale's i3 or i5 should do nicely, significantly more performance than your E6600. Clarkdale is a 32nm CPU with a 45nm GPU + MC in the same LGA 1156 package. The IGP is supposed to offer GPU video transcoding, but no specifics yet. It is currently unclear if any quads will appear on the 32nm node until late-2010 or?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i dont see the point in a gpu in the same die though. i mean if some of the stuff i use can make use of a gpu for a speed boost, then using the main GPU would be a far better option right? i mean later on in 2010, ATi 6k series is meant to be out. would the clarkdale gpu be anything in comparison to that?

in theory, i wouldn't need an upgrade at all if my 5770 could be used for a video encoding speed boost - unfortunately, all gpu encoders (at least what i've used) suck donkey balls and are literally worthless in practise. :(