Cpu_0_rpm

exier591

Nov 14, 2012
Hi all. I kinda need some help with my new CPU cooler.
I recently bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and installed 2 Corsair SP 120 fans for push pull config and it works great, it keeps my CPU cool and the airflow is great. Now my problem is that the motherboard and some other software I use to monitor the fan speed says I don't have fans for the CPU or not spinning at all but I can hear them running wild and loud at 100%. I disabled the CPU fan monitoring on the BIOS since it wont let me onto windows if I don't turn it off.

This is my first computer build so please go easy on me :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
You need to plug one of the fans into the fan header labeled "CPU" on the motherboard.

exier591

Nov 14, 2012
You need to plug one of the fans into the fan header labeled "CPU" on the motherboard.

Aye I already did that. The fan is running, I'm sure of that, I even stick my finger into it to make it stop and run again - but the board/monitoring software still don't see any fan or says its not spinning at all.

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Hi all. I kinda need some help with my new CPU cooler.
I recently bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and installed 2 Corsair SP 120 fans for push pull config and it works great, it keeps my CPU cool and the airflow is great. Now my problem is that the motherboard and some other software I use to monitor the fan speed says I don't have fans for the CPU or not spinning at all but I can hear them running wild and loud at 100%. I disabled the CPU fan monitoring on the BIOS since it wont let me onto windows if I don't turn it off.

This is my first computer build so please go easy on me :)

Are you sure you have the fan connected to the right header? It should have a little label
next to the fan header called cpu0 or something like that. its most likely a 4 pin connector that you can plug a 3 pin fan into. I'm thinking you overlooked the header and although all fans are running you don't have one attached to the main cpu header. let us know your motherboard model and we can narrow it down.

exier591

Nov 14, 2012
what motherboard?

This one
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

Are you sure you have the fan connected to the right header? It should have a little label
next to the fan header called cpu0 or something like that. its most likely a 4 pin connector that you can plug a 3 pin fan into. I'm thinking you overlooked the header and although all fans are running you don't have one attached to the main cpu header. let us know your motherboard model and we can narrow it down.

Here is my motherboard
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

And yes I am sure I have it plugged in on the CPU header.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'd try the fans on different headers, such as the 2 labeled CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 by the audio jacks and see if they register fan speed in bios.

it may be an issue since the cpu fans headers are expecting pwm signals and not getting it.

exier591

Nov 14, 2012
I just found out that the Corsair SP 120 is not a PWM fan and only has a 3 pin connector - thats why the motherboard can't detect the RPM speed of the fan and says its not spinning. I switched back to the stock fan of the Hyper 212 Evo and its working now, I mean I'm getting fan speed and able to control it now. For now I'll stick with it until I find a decent static pressure PWM fan to replace it with. D:

Thanks for the help everyone

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
I just found out that the Corsair SP 120 is not a PWM fan and only has a 3 pin connector - thats why the motherboard can't detect the RPM speed of the fan and says its not spinning. I switched back to the stock fan of the Hyper 212 Evo and its working now, I mean I'm getting fan speed and able to control it now. For now I'll stick with it until I find a decent static pressure PWM fan to replace it with. D:

Thanks for the help everyone

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the fan is a 3 wire fan the yellow wire monitors the rpms and should still report it spinning, and the blue wire on a pwn fan controls the speed, correct?

exier591

Nov 14, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the fan is a 3 wire fan the yellow wire monitors the rpms and should still report it spinning, and the blue wire on a pwn fan controls the speed, correct?

I don't really know that much about it so I cant say. It can't read the RPMs when I connect it into any of the motherboard's [I'm talking about the Corsair SP 120 fan] 4 pin fan headers and the fans are running at full speed since I can't control their speed. ~.~

I'll stick with the stock fan of the Hyper 212 for now till I get a better 4 pin PWM fan.