CPU-Z and vista??

Aug 5, 2006
my current setup is in my sig, heres the issue, when i load cpu-z on vista instead of reading 8*426 it only read 6*426, when i swith back over to XP it reads 8*426. Now is vista not reading it correctly or is my cpu only running 6*426 when im in vista?

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
It'll not be downclocking just because it's a different OS, CPU-Z hasn't been officially released for Vista yet (I think). Try running the program in "compatibility mode".

Aug 5, 2006
when i run it in compatibility mode it gives me the accurate reading but when i go in the system properties it says i am only at 2.6xx ghz, so does vista downclock my cpu?

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: moddedcompsdotcom
when i run it in compatibility mode it gives me the accurate reading but when i go in the system properties it says i am only at 2.6xx ghz, so does vista downclock my cpu?

No, Vista should not be "down clocking" on a desktop.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: moddedcompsdotcom
well then why does system properties say its at 2.6xxghz instead of 3.4?

Vista is just showing the stock clockspeed of the CPU, if you looked at system properties in windows XP it would say XXX CPU @ xxxghz, for example E6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2ghz, Vista just shows the stock speed. I couldn't get cpuz to work with vista either. Orthos showed the correct overclocked speed however.

tersome

Jul 8, 2006
Do you have Speedstep enabled in BIOS? It might be dropping the multiplier down to 6x at idle, or maybe it's just a Vista compatibility problem with CPUZ.

Bry

Oct 11, 1999
Vista works fine for me with CPU-Z. It also shows 6x multiplier but that's because when idle my motherboard will auto-adjust the multiplier down. Under load, it CPU-Z reports the 9x multiplier. Maybe this auto-adjusting is a feature of Vista, dunno.

Gigaplex

Feb 4, 2007
Vista is slowing down the multiplier because Intel Speedstep is active. You can disable this by going to power management settings and setting the plan to "High performance". You can also enable Speedstep in XP SP2 by changing your plan to something other than "Home/Office Desk" or "Always On". Those two plans disable Speedstep, the other plans activate it. See Intel Speedstep site for more info.