CPU work unit shortage for BOINC projects?

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
I've found it really hard to get work units lately. I was going through a few Weather at Home tasks but it doesn't seem to be dishing them out at the moment. And with it being single digit Fahrenheit weather lately, it's distributed computing high season in the northern hemisphere. With SETI gone for quite some time and (biosciences either also being short on tasks or GPU compute), I find that it's getting hard to find worthwhile projects that still has CPU tasks.

Is there any interesting project in the physical sciences that still has CPU tasks? Also, is there anything interesting and trustworthy on platforms (or independent) besides BOINC?

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Is there any interesting project in the physical sciences that still has CPU tasks?

Hrm CPDN still has tasks:
results_cpdn-day.png

(biosciences either also being short on tasks or GPU compute)
Rosetta@home has work and its CPU only:
results_rosetta-day.png

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Bioscience:
WorldCommunityGrid always has work. TN-Grid always has work.¹ Rosetta has work most of the time, like now as Kiska mentioned.

Chemistry, physics, earth sciences:
QuChemPedIA has work. LHC@home has work.² Edit: WorldCommunityGrid's Africa Rainfall has work.

————————
¹) TN-Grid has unlimited work, but a limited rate at which tasks are generated. There are periods when many potential contributors request work, and then boinc-client may give up too quickly to request work from TN-Grid. But now is not such a time.
²) for those who like work of the quirkier kind.

Last edited:

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
results_cpdn-day.png

Ok, thanks, I'm not sure why it's not dishing them out. My computer isn't permanently attached to the www, only sporadically for shorter durations. Maybe it's a timing issue. I also had a long delay before getting the last dozen or so CPDN tasks.

Thanks for the Rosetta tip. It dished them out right away.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
results_cpdn-day.png

Rosetta@home has work and its CPU only:
results_rosetta-day.png
CPDN does have work available, but only for the "UK Met Office HadAM4 at N216 resolution" application at the moment. I regularly get new tasks for the "Weather At Home 2 (wah2)" but they aren't always available. Just have to wait until more are added.

Reactions: amd6502