CPU with Iris iGPU (i7-6770HQ) for custom build with normal MB, would it work?

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hello,
i wonder if i7-6770HQ CPU used for Intel NUC could be used with normal retail MB?

I want this cpu because of IRIS GPU decent graphic and want to use Akasa Euler S, so i have not possibility of external GPU.

If it wound work, there is second question is there any way how to buy this CPU, other than crush INTEL NUC Skull Canyon?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I guess it depends on how much high tech soldering equipment you have on hand.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Is the i7-5775C not an option? The downsides to the 5XXX series is DDR3 vs DDR4 and the older platform in general. A Mini ITX Z97 (6.7" x 6.7") + turbo disabled 5775C (3.3 GHz) will be able to be passively cooled. Since you won't be overclocking, the Z platform won't be necessary.

Broadwell-C of course only supports DDR3 up to 2400 MHz. DDR3 and Z97 are getting pricier every month so it may not be cost effective.

The Iris 6200 vs HD 580 perform similarly; although they shouldn't! If the 5775C has the same 35W/45W cap as the 6770HQ, the HD 580 will trounce it. They both have access to 128mb of eDRAM.

I think you will be surprised at how much thermal headroom you can give the iGPU as long as you downclock the CPU cores.

The i7-5775C is power efficient and runs cool. You can probably get away with using Turbo Boost as well depending on your workload. The iGPU is also unlocked allowing an easy 5% overclock without any additional voltage.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
It's soldered down, you can't use it.

Why not look at an AMD APU instead? They have powerful integrated graphics too.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
You don't have to get a low-power processor; you can use a standard-power processor and reduce the power limit (BIOS or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility). With K or C processor and Z-chipset motherboard, you can also change the multiplier. Also, Xeon E3 v4 might be rare and expensive, compared to Core i5 and i7 C.

DC to ATX: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/list-of-dc-atx-power-supplies.1206/
^ I am not too familiar with such topic.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Agreed. The SC NUC is the way to go. It sounds like he already has the case which won't be used unfortunately.

But as mentioned above, any recent quad i7 will work in a passive environment, even the 95w ones! All of them can be configured to be at a 35-45W TDP.

You can easily lower clockspeeds on the fly to let the iGPU have the thermal headroom it needs as well. A 3.0 GHz 5775c will be a 45w CPU. It is a 65w CPU with its 3.7 GHz turbo.

But the 5775c is old. Parts are getting costly including DDR3.

Skull Canyon paired with fast and tight DDR4 will be a lot better. But at max turbo with iGPU load it will NOT be able to be passively cooled either. You would have to disable turbo as well.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
You don't have to get a low-power processor; you can use a standard-power processor and reduce the power limit (BIOS or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility). With K or C processor and Z-chipset motherboard, you can also change the multiplier. Also, Xeon E3 v4 might be rare and expensive, compared to Core i5 and i7 C.
I have read on ark, that TDP is configurable, but i never saw some Bios option, because of dual boot and Linux, i need set it in Bios.
I now have this board:- Asus Q170T - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Q170T/ and Intel 6500T (i dont use Kabylake because a wanted give Hackingtosh a try, just for experiment..) and i dont see any TDP options in BIOS, thereoretically because of TDP is already 35W.

New The OP would be better off by simply buying the Skull Canyon NUC and be done with it.
Intel NUC is not fanless as far i know, i want to have completelly fanless system with M.2 + 2,5 SSD, i have it.. But Intel HD 530 in Skylake 6500T is slow.

Broadwell 5675 / 5775 - as i wrote, never saw any TDP option in bios for it and Akasa Euler is designed for 35W TDP (now is case temperature where i want to have it, CPU is at 60C max in load), show me MB with such option and im in. Underclock - too big risk to find right value and too time consuming, if there is any other option.

I dont mind change board and CPU, if what i want really exists.

Last edited:

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
I've used an ASRock H110M-STX; the option is "(Short)|(Long) duration power limit": http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/4905#5

According to your motherboard's manual, processor multiplier can be controlled: you can try changing it to see whether it has an effect.

Its Skylake board and as far i know, there is not Skylake desktop CPU with Iris, only Broadwell ones :( So this is not solution.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
So what are you wanting us to tell you? The 6770HQ is a soldered on processor. If you're not willing to underclock/configure TDP, you have very few option, The E3-1265LV4 would check your boxes but I doubt you're going to find a board that's got that on it's QVL. You either need to change your requirements or you're out of luck. 35W TDP is too low for a performance processor with integrated graphics.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
If there is not ITX MB with DC and E3-1265LV4, its good to know, that there is not only problem on my side in attempt to find one. Know that solution doesnt exists is still good to know.