CPU TEMP 84C!!!!!!!!!!! and working UPDATED 6/4/04

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Well went out and got a new ic7 mobo and installed everything and the computer shut down... mid winxp install, and I was like WTH

well after a closer look i found the cpu sensor was set to shut computer down at 70C, I was thinking ok thats good dont want my cpu getting that hot.... well it boots up saying its 62C and thats from being off all night.

I thought maybe my coolmasters jet 4 was not working correctly so I replaced it with the stock hs and fan that came with the computer and turned off the automatic shutdown.....

to my surprise it was staying at a steady 75c in the bios after about 30 secs of being on.. this is with the case open.....

so i put the jet 4 back on idles at 68c

Is it possible for the mobos heat sensor for the processor to be jacked, I think it is, cause I have been using it for 2 weeks now and under load it get to 84-85c no problems never crashed nothing is wrong...

I know prescotts run hot but if the sensor was right wouldn't it be causing things to burst into flames?
I mean thats about 187 F. NO OC going on at all.

Just wanted a second opinion.. thanks

Oh yea one other thing, I put one of the sensors that came with the case, Antec er I forgot the name, the all aluminum one that claims to be made from fighter jets or something, I put it up into the heat sink, all copper, right in the center and got a reading of 52c. How much does the heat sink differ from the actual temp of the cpu?

Thanks

UPDATE: After being under load, when I go back to idle, within 2 secs it drops 9c to 76c then after sitting there for about 20 secs it stays at a level 70c. This is with case closed and a case temp of 34c, my room is hot.

Update: 6/4/04
mik3y The heatsink when it is reporting 85c is a little hot after keeping my finger on it for 10 secs it starts feeling hot.
sunase I have done the mobo update didn'd change any temp readings, thanks though
Dman877 I got the prescott because when you mix it with the geforce 6800 ultra you get a really fast encoding machine look at anands updated review of the prescott, yea i know they are a little slower for games.
oralpain I think you may be right cause of how 2 secs after going from load to idle it drops 9c instantly

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
My Abit IC7-G reports temps 10-15C high. Idle at 56c, load at 72. Coupled with prescotts being higher, I wouldn't worry about it. Disable thermal throttling and the shutdown temperatures.

DaNorthface

May 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
My Abit IC7-G reports temps 10-15C high. Idle at 56c, load at 72. Coupled with prescotts being higher, I wouldn't worry about it. Disable thermal throttling and the shutdown temperatures.
that's dang hot.. i wouldn't disable shutdown temps..

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DaNorthface
Originally posted by: Nebor
that's dang hot.. i wouldn't disable shutdown temps..

The board isn't nearly that hot. At those temperatures you can touch the base of your heatsink near the socket and it's just warm. If you'd read the post, you'd see that the temperatures reported by the board are way high. So yeah, if you want to leave shutdown temps enabled, then you can enjoy having your comp shut down when you could chill drinks on the heatsink.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Thats hot even for a prescott. Motherboard temps always seem to be a bit on the high side, but not that high.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Thats hot even for a prescott. Motherboard temps always seem to be a bit on the high side, but not that high.

Yes, they read that high.

sunase

Nov 28, 2002
Just in case you haven't tried it yet, one of the bios updates lists:
Calibrated CPU temperature.
Updated CPU micro code.

The first is rather apropos and the later might be Prescott specific, who knows. Sometimes a "new" motherboard can be one of the earliest revisions not to mention bios versions. I stopped buying from newegg for instance because they don't list revisions and I got burned that way a couple times...

Also AFAIK Prescotts change their voltage on the fly. So if you have the voltage hard set (say left that way after overclocking and then bringing it back down but still leaving it user defined) instead of voltage control disabled it can still play havoc with the temperature.

If your Prescott is the earlier stepping maybe you could use this incident to get a replacement and possibly end up with the newer, cooler running stepping. ^^

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: sunase
Just in case you haven't tried it yet, one of the bios updates lists:
Calibrated CPU temperature.
Updated CPU micro code.

The first is rather apropos and the later might be Prescott specific, who knows. Sometimes a "new" motherboard can be one of the earliest revisions not to mention bios versions. I stopped buying from newegg for instance because they don't list revisions and I got burned that way a couple times...

Also AFAIK Prescotts change their voltage on the fly. So if you have the voltage hard set (say left that way after overclocking and then bringing it back down but still leaving it user defined) instead of voltage control disabled it can still play havoc with the temperature.

If your Prescott is the earlier stepping maybe you could use this incident to get a replacement and possibly end up with the newer, cooler running stepping. ^^

You got me all excited with that post, I went and updated my BIOS. Then I noticed no difference, and headed to the Abit boards. There's a post regarding the new BIOS... it only changes temps for Prescotts. Abit doesn't care about us and our temperatures. And so is born the new generation of WMCs... the wounded motherboard children. :(

Delorian

Mar 10, 2004
Have you tried Motherboard Monitor 5? It reports temps 10-15C lower than my MSI software. Don't know why, but it seems to be much more accurate.

azndelite6983

May 27, 2004
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that since the Intel max thermal spec for even the prescott is around 73C and your's is supposedly running at "76C" or higher under load, your mobo is reporting waaaay higher temps.

If your cpu ever reached those temps it would have shut itself down.

I would trust the other sensor you tried.

And turn on AC...your poor Presshot will thank you for it.

Jun 2, 2004
Those temps look pritty accurate for acctual on die temps. I don't know a whole lot about the prescott thermal specifications but most chips can handle 85-95C on die just fine. Most motherboards report socket ot external temps wich are useually 20C or so lower.