Question CPU stress test

Arksma1990

Apr 20, 2022
Hi Everyone

When i run a Intel Processor diagnostic Tool in i7 11th Gen, its getting failed, Its a 6 month Old PC,

Can you please suggest any tool to run a stress test which we can set a time for stress test.

Jul 27, 2020
Can you please suggest any tool to run a stress test which we can set a time for stress test.
Depends what you want to stress. There's Furmark to stress the GPU. Prime95 to stress the CPU. Use the In-Place FFTs option in Prime95 to max out power consumption. You can run both Furmark and Prime95 at the same time but make sure that your PSU has enough wattage to handle the load.

Why do you want to set a time period for the stress testing? Just run the stress test and stop it whenever you want. That's what most people do.

Reactions: Shmee

Arksma1990

Apr 20, 2022
Depends what you want to stress. There's Furmark to stress the GPU. Prime95 to stress the CPU. Use the In-Place FFTs option in Prime95 to max out power consumption. You can run both Furmark and Prime95 at the same time but make sure that your PSU has enough wattage to handle the load.

Why do you want to set a time period for the stress testing? Just run the stress test and stop it whenever you want. That's what most people do.
Thank you igor_kavinski

Prime95 taking long time to stress test CPU, is there any way to set a time in Prime95 to stress test CPU ?
In custom setting there is a option but i couldn't understand that.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I think OCCT supports a time limit for stress tests, but I would just run the test until you are satisfied / tired of waiting, then stop it. As long as there are no errors and temps are ok, you are fine.

Arksma1990

Apr 20, 2022
CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.
CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.
CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.
CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.
CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.
CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.
CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.
CPU 1 - Math - Fail.
CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Fail.

CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPUFreq - Pass.

All other test passed, only the issue with the Math test and GPUStressW test , May i know what might be the issue with these test ? is my CPU good ? please help experts.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm no expert but if the CPU is failing with official Intel diagnostic tool, you have a big problem. Is the CPU running at stock settings or overclocked? If stock, better RMA it.

I also read that 11th gen CPUs have a 5% higher failure rate than previous generations.

noway069111

Apr 3, 2022
I'm no expert but if the CPU is failing with official Intel diagnostic tool, you have a big problem. Is the CPU running at stock settings or overclocked? If stock, better RMA it.

I also read that 11th gen CPUs have a 5% higher failure rate than previous generations.
Wow, really? Article regarding the 5% higher failure rate than previous generations? That's surprising!

Jul 27, 2020
Wow, really? Article regarding the 5% higher failure rate than previous generations? That's surprising!

1650487225978.png

noway069111

Apr 3, 2022
Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree.

Did you happen to read the article?

"AMD CPUs in general had higher failure rates than Intel, but we did see an oddly high rate of failures with Intel's consumer-oriented 11th Gen processors... which seems odd, especially next to the very low rates shown by the preceeding 10th Gen. "

I think the real issue is that in 2021, you had FAR more people using consumer laptops and computers at home than in previous years. If you look, you will also notice GPU failure rate was even higher than CPUs at 6.75% in 2021.

pic_disp.php

Seems to be the overall usage and number of hours put on PCs as a whole. Who knows though?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree.

Did you happen to read the article?

"AMD CPUs in general had higher failure rates than Intel, but we did see an oddly high rate of failures with Intel's consumer-oriented 11th Gen processors... which seems odd, especially next to the very low rates shown by the preceeding 10th Gen. "

I think the real issue is that in 2021, you had FAR more people using consumer laptops and computers at home than in previous years. If you look, you will also notice GPU failure rate was even higher than CPUs at 6.75% in 2021.

pic_disp.php

Seems to be the overall usage and number of hours put on PCs as a whole. Who knows though?

The 5% figure is "Shop Failure Rate" which they define in the article as either DOA or failed during system building and validation. If it was after the machine was sold and a user put hours of usage on it, it would be counted under "Field Failure Rate".

Did you read the article?

noway069111

Apr 3, 2022
The 5% figure is "Shop Failure Rate" which they define in the article as either DOA or failed during system building and validation. If it was after the machine was sold and a user put hours of usage on it, it would be counted under "Field Failure Rate".

Did you read the article?
I see what you mean. So, basically, 11th gen had a higher failure rate in 2021 (you also have to factor in that 11th gen way outsold
AMD in OEM and consumer computers and laptops) for that year. But, overall the past few years, AMD has a higher failure rate overall. As they stated in their comments.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm using the INtel Processor Diagnostic, but on what many may consider an "old" processor line -- five year old technology in Sky and Kaby Lake.

It used to be that we'd run Prime95, LinX and other tools to stress. The main problem with them is their AVX2-related heat-generation. I started using OCCT because you would know in a few hours if your overclocks and processor were stable. It has many options for tests, including AVX and AVX2, as well as graphics and memory.

The only drawback with it is the limitation on the number of iterations for using it free. To set the time and number of iterations for a test, you need to purchase the license good for one year -- a $25 outlay.