CPU speed/multiplier wrong, running way slow (Win10)

sremick

Mar 31, 2000
This one has been kicking my butt for a while and I just can't seem to sort it out.

Laptop is an HP 15-f039wm, running Win10 Home, with an Intel Celeron N2840 CPU:

http://ark.intel.com/products/82103/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2840-1M-Cache-up-to-2_58-GHz

A while back (laptop isn't mine), the user noticed that it was now running very slow. Turns out the CPU speed is horribly lower than it should be. It's only running at 500 MHz (yes, 0.5 GHz) via a multiplier of 6x83.333 MHz even when under heavy load. I think the multiplier should be more like 26.

The issue isn't hardware related at all: I can take a test HDD, put it in, set it up with a fresh Win10 install and the CPU is fine... idling low, but jumping up high all the way to rated speed under load. But I'd like to save this existing Windows/app environment if at all possible, and fix the issue surgically.

I've tried updating the BIOS (there's also no BIOS settings worth anything or applicable as far as I can tell... it's pretty anaemic). I've also tried updating all the Win10 drivers HP has available for this model. No change.

Any thoughts or advice?

(My technical skill level is extremely high so feel free to ask me to do whatever or provide any info you need, without dumbing it down or painful hand-holding instruction.)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
First question (sounds rude, but I don't mean for it to be): if you put another drive and OS in, and verified that the CPU will reach it's full speed, why would updating the BIOS help?

My suggestions:
First check the power profile, and don't forget to check for any HP power- related software. That would be the easiest,quickest thing to rule out.

If that doesn't work:
Remove all Intel software that it's critical (which should be just about everything unless it has an Intel NIC) and see what happens).
If that doesn't work, remove any power/noise/fan management software from HP.

I've only set up one HP that came with 10, so I can't recall what all it has, but it does seem like there is some software for that.

sremick

Mar 31, 2000
First question (sounds rude, but I don't mean for it to be): if you put another drive and OS in, and verified that the CPU will reach it's full speed, why would updating the BIOS help?

Sequence. :) As I was trying things, I had tried a BIOS update fairly early in the process. The HDD swap/fresh install test was the most-recent in order to fully eliminate hw-vs-sw.

I will try ripping out software like you suggest next.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Gotcha. I was just practicing being a jerk. As you can see, I'm not very good at it, lol. Let us know how it goes.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
500mhz is the normal low-power frequency of the Celeron N2840.

It sounds like the BIOS or Windows is in a low power / battery saver mode.

sremick

Mar 31, 2000
500mhz is the normal low-power frequency of the Celeron N2840.

It sounds like the BIOS or Windows is in a low power / battery saver mode.

It's not the BIOS else it would also appear in the clean Windows install on the separate test HDD.

In this Windows environment, I've set the power setting to "performance", with the min CPU state set to 100%, and am testing with the laptop plugged-in to AC.