CPU running warm during BF4 - Time to upgrade

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
With the release of BF4 my stock FX-8120 (not OC'd) with stock fan/heatsink was running around 55*c - 58*c during play of BF4.... which is much warmer than I would like to see it.

I'm looking at the Cooler-Master Hyper 212 Evo, great reviews, great price.... anything other options to consider before I grab on tonight?

the cooler in question - http://www.microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO_Universal_CPU_Cooler

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2013
If I'm not wrong the FX-8120 Max Temp is 61, so yeah you are pretty close to the max, Id say the Evo is on of the best if not the best at that price point, also might get you some leeway in terms of overclocking but not sure how it performs with AMD, anyway better then the Evo I say you would be entering SilverArrow, Noctua D14/ Corsair H80/100 Territory and higher price point, so you the Evo is a very solid buy for you, again I don't have much knowledge how it behaves with AMD, most reviews I'v seen use Intel, maybe because Intel CPUs have a much higher Max Temp so it can properly stress the Cooler.

Cheers

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
If I'm not wrong the FX-8120 Max Temp is 61, so yeah you are pretty close to the max
That is correct, I got a bit nervous last night, shut down, cleaned everything out (fan / heatsink) and was still seeing those temps... doesn't surpirse me the stock one isn't cutting it, plus it sounds like a jet engine.
For $35 it seems tough to beat... I might just give it a go, and if it isn't cutting the mustard return it, but don't like the thought of the effort that goes into that.

This is better than 212+
It does look quite good, but I'm hoping to get something that Microcenter carries (in stock) so I can just pick one up at lunch today rather than order / ship / etc

Here is there selection / brands (I don't see the Enermax on there)
http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966927/CPU-GPU-Chipset-Heatsinks

Sep 24, 2013
Well yeah I'v read some review now on the Enermax seems a solid Cooler to, but MC doesn't seem to have it, its your choice for that price point the Hyper seems the best you can get on MC.

snouter

Jan 5, 2008
I have two 212 Evos. Good cooler.

Now it's up to your skillful application of the thermal paste!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Just changing the sink sometimes wont help you.
The reason for this is, if your case is warm, you may have an airflow problem more so then a cooling problem. This is usually caused by poor wiring, or a messy wiring job.
A easy way to test and see if it is airflow issues, Open the side panel, and leave it open.

If you see a noticeable decrease in temperature by doing so, it means you should take some time and rewire / reroute cables so you get better airflow...
Or it could mean you got too much dust stuck on the inlets of your case, it needs a good air blowing.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Just changing the sink sometimes wont help you.

Oh cmon, dont be ridiculous. You can't have an airflow problem serious enough that a 212 Evo wouldn't help temperatures versus the stock cooler.

If you see a noticeable decrease in temperature by doing so, it means you should take some time and rewire / reroute cables so you get better airflow...

Cable clutter has negligible impact on cooling because the bulk of case cooling performance typically results from exhaust airflow. And cables don't exactly STOP air from getting to components, they merely make it less streamlined.

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
Stock cooler -
Idle - 35*c +/-
Most games - 45-50*c
BF4 - 58-60*c

With teh 212 Evo
Idle - 24*c
BF4 - 41*c (max temp on any core)

.... it is also about 1/10th as noisy, well worth $30, I would reccomend this fan / cooler in a heartbeat.

Now it's up to your skillful application of the thermal paste!
Nailed it.

Sep 24, 2013
Stock cooler -
Idle - 35*c +/-
Most games - 45-50*c
BF4 - 58-60*c

With teh 212 Evo
Idle - 24*c
BF4 - 41*c (max temp on any core)

.... it is also about 1/10th as noisy, well worth $30, I would reccomend this fan / cooler in a heartbeat.

Nailed it.

Nicely done...Pics or it didn't happen tho..... =P

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
I did take this one, I have a buddy with the same processor and he wanted to see the heat sink size compared to stock
1385086_10100284664114482_1883581883_n.jpg

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Good move. I had a hyper 212+ on my FX 8150. Cooled it just fine at 4ghz!

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
Cooled it just fine at 4ghz!
I planned on waitng to OC my CPU and GPU until games started needing me to, which it is getting to be about that time... I might crank things up a bit now that I can cool it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Oh cmon, dont be ridiculous. You can't have an airflow problem serious enough that a 212 Evo wouldn't help temperatures versus the stock cooler.

Cable clutter has negligible impact on cooling because the bulk of case cooling performance typically results from exhaust airflow. And cables don't exactly STOP air from getting to components, they merely make it less streamlined.

its an AMD stock cooler... they arent as bad as intels... yes he will get better temps on the Evo... however i think its gonna be less then what he expects at a non OC stand point.
Of course increase the heat load (once he overclocks), then its a no brainer... however at stock settings... again, i dont think the OP is going to get what he is expecting from that cooler.

Edit... well looks like i was wrong... he got almost a 20C reduction in BF4.... im guessing that is very heavy on the cpu ...

Last edited: