CPU Running Too Hot On Guild Wars 2?

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Gigabyte B75M-D3V motherboard
8 GB DRAM PC-3 12800 @ 800MHz
Radeon HD 7870
Stock Intel heatsink, case cover is off, one 120 mm stock fan at the back.
Nothing is overclocked; standard BIOS settings.

Right now the CPU is running at approximately 50 degrees Celsius with just the browser open. Last night I happened to open Piriform Speccy when playing Guild Wars 2 and was shocked to see the 4 cores of the CPU running at 90 to 102 degrees Celsius. :eek: I put a fan blowing into the case but little changed. Is this normal? Is it acceptable? I have only had a couple of game CTDs in the months I have been playing, and no apparent ill effects on the computer.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Gigabyte B75M-D3V motherboard
8 GB DRAM PC-3 12800 @ 800MHz
Radeon HD 7870
Stock Intel heatsink, case cover is off, one 120 mm stock fan at the back.
Nothing is overclocked; standard BIOS settings.

Right now the CPU is running at approximately 50 degrees Celsius with just the browser open.

You need to check your "cpu time" column in task manager. An adobe flash process can easily get stuck running one core at full load. Or an instance of the browser process could be stuck running one core at full load. All it takes is one bugged javascript. I bet some people have that crap running in the background for weeks without ever knowing it.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
You need to check your "cpu time" column in task manager. An adobe flash process can easily get stuck running one core at full load. Or an instance of the browser process could be stuck running one core at full load. All it takes is one bugged javascript. I bet some people have that crap running in the background for weeks without ever knowing it.

There is no core stuck at full load. Besides, with Guild Wars 2 all of the cores are running at high to full capacity when playing the game. Looking at the heatsink while making sure it was seated correctly, I noticed that it really is a piece of junk. You'd think that Intel would sell its CPUs with a heatsink that would actually allow the CPU to run at full capacity, but whenever corporate greed comes up against quality and service, greed wins.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
I'll be installing an aftermarket HSF. Any recommendations for a good HSF that'll fit in a tight motherboard?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
1500 RPM. I have it set to run at 100% because there is no point with slowing down such a tiny fan.

If its the stock fan, it should run around 3000rpm at 100%. 1500rpm is close to idle speed.

Either its getting 5V instead of 12V. Or some "smart fan" setting is hindering it.

tollingalong

Jun 26, 2014
My experiences will Intel stock cooling is not so great on anything above a celery. Send $20 on a CPU cooler and you'll notice the noise and temps lower.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
If its the stock fan, it should run around 3000rpm at 100%. 1500rpm is close to idle speed.

Either its getting 5V instead of 12V. Or some "smart fan" setting is hindering it.

I changed some BIOS settings and got the fan speed up to 2000 rpm, but the temps did not fall significantly while playing GW2 (still 90 - 100 degrees Celsius). But if I've been playing GW2 for weeks without any problems, are these temps really an issue?

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I'll be installing an aftermarket HSF. Any recommendations for a good HSF that'll fit in a tight motherboard?

What case is it in? Noctua LH-9i maybe for a small case.

"(still 90 - 100 degrees Celsius)"

Thats too high even for a stock fan.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I changed some BIOS settings and got the fan speed up to 2000 rpm, but the temps did not fall significantly while playing GW2 (still 90 - 100 degrees Celsius). But if I've been playing GW2 for weeks without any problems, are these temps really an issue?

Well something is obviously not right in your BIOS. Tried resetting to default? It may get toomuch voltage as well. And maybe turbomode OC(multicore enchancement etc).

Fanspeed really needs to get up around 2800-3000rpm as well.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
Well something is obviously not right in your BIOS. Tried resetting to default? It may get toomuch voltage as well. And maybe turbomode OC(multicore enchancement etc).

Fanspeed really needs to get up around 2800-3000rpm as well.

Resetting the BIOS didn't do anything so I'm just getting a new heatsink. This is one of the few times I've used a stock Intel HSF, and I guess I should have known better.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Only one fan in the case? That can be a problem. Also is the problem with just GW2 or do you play other games and have same problem? There are a lot of hsf that will do much better than the Intel stock hsf. I'd buy a new hsf and get more air flowing through that case if you can.