Cpu run 70-100% load .

wowempire

Jan 12, 2014
HI ! I have a poor athlon 64x2 4200 + and since my pc made some " Automatic updates " ( without my permision or asking me something ) my cpu run +70% load even in idle and games crash frequently.. ( TOO FREQUENTLY ) . Its really annoying i hope u can help me with that problem, BTW the cpu ran till 2-3 days ago at 2.5Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz and +0.05 Voltage.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
That sounds like you have a secret program using your CPU without your permission. maybe you have a virus or other malware?

To solve, try to use a tool like windows task manager to list the active processes when your computer is idle. Sort by CPU, and see if there is some strange name there. Then google the name and see what process is hogging up your CPU.

wowempire

Jan 12, 2014
Guess what? i already did it and i found nothing strange there . About malware, i used iObit malware ... (whatever) and it found no malware even after a full scan ( i have license ), and yes im running xp

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Does task manager show your CPU as idle, then? How are you seeing load?

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
Your tone seems hostile for someone looking for help. What's the point of asking for help if you snap back with "Guess what? i already did it and i found nothing strange there" when someone offers a practical suggestion?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
The CPU needs to have a load to show the 70-100% load.

Are you suggesting that you see the process called "idle" is loading up your CPU?

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Your tone seems hostile for someone looking for help. What's the point of asking for help if you snap back with "Guess what? i already did it and i found nothing strange there" when someone offers a practical suggestion?

Maybe english isn't his first language?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Guess what? i already did it and i found nothing strange there . About malware, i used iObit malware ... (whatever) and it found no malware even after a full scan ( i have license ), and yes im running xp

Did you hit the "show processes from all users" button. Can you sort by CPU usage and take a screen shot to post here?

Edit. The reason I ask is because I have come across an issue on 2 PCs now which invlolved a windows media player sharing service that was randomly eating up most of the CPU usage even though nothing was being "shared". Both of those were on windows 7 though.

Last edited:

wowempire

Jan 12, 2014
That reply also dont help me in any way.
Maybe english isn't his first language?
Ye, english isn't my first language .

Thank to everyone for trying to help, i solved the problem.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
When in a public forum, it is always a good idea to tell others how you solved the problem, not just that you solved it.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Looks like it is actually, and was a bit sarcastic.

I don't want to know what kind of people you deal with if you couldn't see the signs in his posts...

And yes wowempire, you should tell us what you did.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
I think so as well, but one month does not fit into that category.
It's a matter of opinion, really.

Regardless, as bononos mentioned, it was probably some form of malware. This has has been my experience, as someone who fixes computers for a living. The OP apparently ran a single scan, which simply isn't enough to rule out an infection. Bitdefender (which is what IObit uses) is fairly good, but nothing is 100%.

My big 3 for infection cleanup are HitmanPro, MBAM, and ESET Online Scanner. Those usually get most of everything. If those three don't find anything, you're probably clean.

Occasionally something new will come out that bypasses scanners, and running msconfig and cleaning up your startup programs and services is a handy tool. chkdsk with /r and /f, and sfc would be another thing I would try. Although the OP certainly wasn't experiencing this issue given the crashes, sometimes CPUs get pinned at ~100% because the power settings are messed up and the processor is running at a sub-optimal frequency.

Last but not least, there's the backup and reinstall option. The OP seems to have done something similar by upgrading to Windows 7.

This list is far from exhaustive, but it's a good start. I can't imagine this being being anything but a software issue.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Just a heads up if you're referring to Windows Updates, it has always been that way, with auto updates enabled by default.
1.gif

Talk about necro'ing a thread.