CPU or motherboard dead?

exedanni

Oct 17, 1999
I have an old Abit ZM6 (socket 370) motherboard and a Celeron 366 CPU. This summer there was a thunderstorm. All the cables were pulled out, yet when lightning struck nearby a surge of static electricty passed though the house and the computer died.

Now none of the components were harmed, except either the motherboard or CPU (or both). How can I tell if it is the CPU or motherboard which has failed, seeing as I don't easily have access to another similar system?

exedanni

exedanni

Oct 17, 1999
The CPU fan and PSU fan turn on, and the "power" led on the case is on. Nothing else. No beeps, nothing is output to the monitor.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
now that is a tough one, I would have to say the motherboard is dead because it doesn't output anything to the screen, and no beeps, but the cpu may also be dead. I think your best option is to start with the mobo, and if the chip doesn't work, then they were probably both dead.

exedanni

Oct 17, 1999
I am inclined to agree with you that it is the motherboard. They seem to be the most sensitive component by far, at least in my experience.

I've been looking around and there just don't seem to be any good deals on eBay or other places for good socket 370 motherboards. Either they are cheapo-integrated-sis chip boards, or else they are as expensive as buying a brand new one.

I suppose everyone is still using them for their Celeron / Coppermine secondary system?

exedanni

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
did you check the FS/FT forums here? You'll need to enable your profile, but there might be some deals, just do a search.

exedanni

Oct 17, 1999
I did, nothing immediately seemed to be what I am looking for. I suppose I could post a "wanted" post though.

I've been seeing Heatware.com .sigs when people post, so I went to that site and signed up. However, even though I looked hard I could not find a single description of what the site is. Am I right in assuming it is a site where you can post feedback regarding deals you have reached outside of the popular auctions?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
yes heatware is an evaluation system used by anandtech and others, you post the details of your transaction, and leave a positive or negative evaluation. Many people on anandtech will ask sellers with few heatware evaluations to pay or ship first. Check the trading guidance locked at the top of the FS/FT forum for more info! Good luck on your search too.