CPU HS installation

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I just installed the CPU in my sig for the second time, different MBs. On both occasions, two of the pins went in with a solid, reasuring click - firmly in place. But the 3rd/4th pins didn"t click at all, and I wrestled with them for about 15 mins, almost cracking the MB in the process by applying a LOT of pressure. I had to end up just leaving it as is, and assume it goes on that way.
Is it normal to have the pins react differently liek that?

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
Dunno... never used the push-pin style HS. Mine have always used screws. Let's figure it out empirically. How are your temps compared to on the old board?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I usually have the first three reassuringly click, but the fourth and final one doesn't like to go. Try taking them out and re-inserting them, starting with the hardest to reach, with the fourth one being the easiest one to get access too, to make it easier on yourself

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Pushpins are really designed for one use. Afterward (I know I will get flamed for this!) they may still work but the pressure cannot be guaranteed. I wish they would just get away from them altogether and make it a requirement that all heatsinks bolt through the motherboard. Socket 771 boards are like this.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
yh125d, ya, I tried that, several times, but it just wouldn't go. The pins actualy touched the back of the case, physicaly impossible to go any further. I'd have to take out the MB and try it from both sides to make it work.
Is it possible its OK? The whole HS seems basicaly solid, although one of the pins is wiggley.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Think I got it sorted now. The last 2 pins seem to hold, although they didn"t do much "satisfying clicking" - more like a sort of click. Perhaps the plastic is worn a bit from last time? Anyway, looks OK now.
The temps, IIRC, were about 75 at startup, and are now 45, so looks like it did the trick.
Thanks folks.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Those temps seem to high for an E8400. Heck they seem too high got a Q9650. Are you positive you got all four corners clicked in place?

I've never successfully installed a push-pin HSF with the mobo in the case. I've convinced myself I did, suffered the consequences, and eventually (after many HSF reseats and frustrations) resorted to removing the mobo and then attaching the HSF and then reinstalling the mobo (with HSF installed) into the case.

After that experience it was easy convincing for me to migrate to a Tuniq with the bolt-thru and backplate.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
You shouldn't need a huge amount of pressure. When I use push pins the one thing I make sure of is all the pins are level and in the 4 holes before I lock it down. If any of them are off kilter you'll have problems. I always test the pins too by making sure they click properly before I use the heatsink.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Use a flat head screwdriver to help push down that last pin. That groove on the pushpin is there for a reason.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
Originally posted by: eelw
Use a flat head screwdriver to help push down that last pin. That groove on the pushpin is there for a reason.
I'm pretty sure the groove was meant for removing the heatsink, but I suppose that's another way to use it.

It seems like some heatsink require more force than others. It took me a lot of force to get the Intel stock on, but a bit less for my Scythe Ninja (or was it the other way around?). I can never be sure it installed it correct, but I just hope I did, and so far, I haven't had the heatsink pop right out while my computer is on.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
The HSF pins aren't really push-pins, they're "twist" pins. It requires virtually no force to mount these things properly if you know what you're doing. The only reason I discovered this is because I got very familiar with changing out LGA 775 mobos and CPUs while doing an extensive rebuild recently. I get the impression that the LGA 1366s are very similar. It's possible that any Asus mobo manual has a photographically illustrated procedure on how to align the pins on an HSF so that the HSF simply snaps into place with a series of judicious twists. The LGA pins have a narrow groove along one side of the flat top, where you normally think you would "push" down on the pin. Those grooves should be aligned with each corner of the HSF. Carefully insert two diagonal pins into their holes and then twist the pins. You should hear a nice satisfying "click" as they seat. Then, do the same for the other two. You may have to play with it a couple times to get it; however, it works and it's a darn sight easier than trying to cram those stupid pins in there from above, and much easier on your expensive mobo.