CPU & GPU for HTPC build

danik56

Feb 23, 2014
I have an ASUS H81M-K board that I want to use for a new HTPC build.
This board has no HDMI output so I will need a GPU card.
The machine will run WIN8.1 64 bit and will not be used for gaming.

Will it make sense to use a G3250 CPU assuming the GPU will perform the video decoding ?
What low profile passive cooling GPU is recommended ?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Will it make sense to use a G3250 CPU assuming the GPU will perform the video decoding ?

Sure, every now and then you run into something the GPU can't decode.

What low profile passive cooling GPU is recommended ?

I personally recommend this GPU after experience with it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121778

Very low heat, and enough power to decode any file the most powerful GPU out there can. I have one in my livingroom HTPC.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I have a G620 (Sandy Bridge) in my HTPC, I've not really wanted for anything stronger... it works very well, your G3250 should rock. It does not work well with video encoding, however. Just saying.

The alternate to Poofy's GT630 would be the HD6450. I have a Diamond in mine, I think I got it for $23 AR.

danik56

Feb 23, 2014
I have a G620 (Sandy Bridge) in my HTPC, I've not really wanted for anything stronger... it works very well, your G3250 should rock. It does not work well with video encoding, however. Just saying.

The alternate to Poofy's GT630 would be the HD6450. I have a Diamond in mine, I think I got it for $23 AR.

GT630 or HD6450, which one is less noise and less heat ?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Question is whether the GT630 isn't an overkill just for streaming HD movies?

Personally I think it is the EXACT amount of power needed to decode all sorts of HD file types you run across. That GPU can do 3D movies, interlaced movies (think BBC Blu Rays or stuff from a TV tuner), and the meanest 1080p movies ever encoded. Oh and this GPU can run every XBMC skin they have made at 60fps. The ability to throw everything at it is why its my HTPC GPU of choice.

If you just want to decode plain jane 2D 1080p mkvs from the net or something a GT 210 would work.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Question is whether the GT630 isn't an overkill just for streaming HD movies?

Certainly, heck... the HD6450 is, too (essentially equivalent to the Pentium's onboard graphics, but is probably the least expensive route to an HDMI port on a reasonable GPU. After looking at the specs, I'd probably go with Poofy's suggestion, too, given that it's only $20 more.

As far as heat, the GT would probably produce less heat. As far as noise? They are fanless... :D

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
The nice part about the GPUs with HDMI is that they have an HDMI audio source built into them. If you use the adapter you have to go digital -> analog out -> back into HDMI adapter (assuming it has audio in) -> back to digital in the TV.

Also, with the GPUs, most HTPC cards are plenty powerful. I recently found that my single slot cards are proving more useful than my dual-slot passive cards as the single slots allow me to put them into those OEM (dell, hp) super slim systems. I'm currently working on replacing one of my HTPCs, a dell Precision 390 with a SFF optiplex at about 1/4 of the size and expect I may do more in the future.

May 27, 2008
No, DVI carries audio. There is no analog cables involved.

Wikipedia said:
To promote interoperability between DVI-D and HDMI devices, HDMI source components and displays support DVI-D signalling. For example, a 1080p HDMI display can be driven by a single-link DVI-D source - since HDMI and DVI-D both define an overlapping minimum set of supported resolutions and frame buffer formats. So, DVI-D devices output HDMI signals, many including audio, (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[9] and some multimedia displays input that HDMI signal, including audio, by using a DVI to HDMI adapter. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

This adapter from Asus ($2.99) will carry sound.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3423

Same exact adapter (part number 04G460002450) from Asus on this page. But at a ridiculous price! But read the description "By using their adapter you do not need a separate sound connection"
http://www.hightechoutpost.com/DVI-...e-to-HDMI-Female-Adapter-New-04G460002450.htm