CPU for video rendering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
for ~70 dollars you can change the cpu in your board to an e5-2670 8 core 16 threaded monster.

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
for ~70 dollars you can change the cpu in your board to an e5-2670 8 core 16 threaded monster.

That is not an upgrade,
he have already 6 cores @ 4.2 ghz,
that xeon would get around 3ghz at turbo, which is overall similar or slightly slower.

Heatshiver

Jun 9, 2013
If you are speaking of the MPE in PPro, then I would imagine the Titan anything is overkill. Get something far less pricey and just add it to your card list in the PPro files (very simple to do).

I am wondering exactly what is up with the sequence. They come out weird? They process too slow? MPE is really for certain effects and filters more than anything, and while a good CPU won't match MPE through GPU, it should suffice in most instances.

What version of PPro are you using? Do you have AE sequences in PPro?

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
If you are speaking of the MPE in PPro, then I would imagine the Titan anything is overkill. Get something far less pricey and just add it to your card list in the PPro files (very simple to do).

I am wondering exactly what is up with the sequence. They come out weird? They process too slow? MPE is really for certain effects and filters more than anything, and while a good CPU won't match MPE through GPU, it should suffice in most instances.

What version of PPro are you using? Do you have AE sequences in PPro?

In fact Titan X makes HUGE difference (against Radeon 7970), probably mostly because of its 12GB (vs. 3GB for HD 7970) of memory. I have been testing it since last week, but I would like to see also how GTX 1080 is going to perform. I heard that it may be even 30% faster than Titan X in video rendering apps.
But, I am still undecided about the CPU: I have i7 3930K @ 4.2GHz and I also tried Xeon E5-2697 v2, but I don't see any significant speed boost. All the benchmarks show that it's up to 30% better in multithreaded apps, but when I run the same rendering job on both I can't see any significant difference. So, I will probably wait for i7 6950X, which is also coming this week. Do you have any other suggestions as far as the CPU is concerned?