cpu for mpeg2 1080i

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Was looking at the MC001-N, but AMD doesn't support mpeg2 in linux and I don't know if the Intel Atom D525 could do it in software. Which would make it a no go for live TV coming from an HD Prime. I was really liking this system due to its price, size, io ports, and lack of fans, but why couldn't they have used an NVIDIA gpu. This was going to run OpenELEC with MythTV as the backend or maybe just mythtv depending on how well PVR in XBMC works.

I guess I could use my old X2 3800 and ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 with an 8400GS I have laying around, but that is much larger, louder and power hungry. I would need to get a soundcard with spdif out also.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Well after doing some looking on ebay, I think I should sell the whole X2 3800 system and get a newer low power system. What is the cheapest cpu/apu that will play 1080i and 1080p in linux. Without hardware support for 1080i (should be coming soon though) what AMD cpu can play it. Can the intel Celeron's play 1080i in linux? The new ivy bridge one is only $49. The cheapest Trinity (AMD A4-5300) is $54.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I guess I don't understand your question. Are you trying to encode video with the cpu to mpeg2 format? I would think any modern processor would have more than enough power to decode (play) mpeg2 video in software. Intel's newer processors often have a feature called quick sync which I believe helps encode h.264 quickly (but at the cost of quality from what I've read).

I admit I'm not familiar with decode acceleration support of video cards but the mpeg2 standard is so old and common at this point I'd be surprised if there any issues there. I just don't think the decode/play operation of mpeg2 is much of an issue anymore as far as performance with modern processors. I haven't been able to find great comparisons of the exact tax on resources but I did read some mythtv setup articles where Pentium 3s were encoding standard definition to mpeg2 and displaying (decoding) another feed at the same time with no apparent issues.

I think performance issues with regards to encoding is mostly a concern for the mpeg4 part 10 / h.264 standard these days which produces smaller file sizes but is much more computationally expensive. But as far as playing that standard I don't think that is to difficult for a modern machine to do.

I apologize if I'm going in the wrong direction on this. I've been wading through a lot of this stuff for the first time recently and thought I would share my thoughts.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
This would be for decoding and deinterlacing mpeg-2 1080i for live TV. I believe the mythtv article you read is for 480i SD TV. I know that will work. So my questions are:

1. Will the A4-5300 without using its GPU decode and deinterlace mpeg-2 1080i? mpeg-2 GPU decoding for AMD is not supported in linux yet.

2. Will the G1620 decode and deinterlace mpeg-2 1080i with its GPU in linux? It has a much weaker GPU than the A4-5300, so I am not sure.

3. Should I just use a dedicated Nvidia GPU and use the cheapest lowest power cpu I can find, E-350, atom, Sempron, etc.? I like the idea of not using a dedicated GPU, but really just comes down to which way is cheapest and uses the least amount of power.

4. Should I even worry about deinterlacing and just let the TV do it? Will mythtv or XBMC allow that?

As for deinterlacing quality. I just don't want it to look worse than what I see now which is whatever my HD cable box and 1080P Panasonic Plasma TV shows me. What nvidia setting one field, bob, temporal, advanced would equal what most TV's do? I don't know what Intel or AMD call their settings, but equivalents for them would be nice to know also.

Last edited:

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Found a few answers.

1. I doubt it, but still looking for proof of what it can do.
2. Intel can only do bob and weave under linux.
3. If you want the best deinterlacer in linux you go Nvidia. GT 430 seems pretty good.
4. XBMC seems to have a fork/patch that will allow this for 1080i, but not 480i. Still looking into what mythtv has.

So, it seems for live TV in linux you use Intel or use alot more power and use a dedicated Nvidia card. Letting the TV do the heavy lifting part aka deinterlacing seems to be the best option, but I am having problems finding much information on that. I could use some help in that area. Has anyone here configured XBMC or mythtv to let the TV handle the deinterlacing?