CPU Fan

Killeruk

Jul 7, 2002
I have a Cooler Master AAC-001 heatsink. Yesterday I brought a Akasa 60-80mm fan adaptor and I put a Y.S Tech 80mm fan on top. My question is it better to have the fan sucking or blowing? At the moment I have it blowing.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
What temps are you getting with it blowing? It seems each heat sink is different, some prefer sucking, some blowing. If your temps are good right now leave it how it is. Or you can switch it around and see if that is better.

Killeruk

Jul 7, 2002
I have got an XP1900 cpu and at the moment I am getting around 41c. Also what temp should I expect with a Delta 80mm fan?

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
41C is fine for your rig and what you can expect from the Globalwin Delta is a wholla lotta noise as it's 1 very loud Fan

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most heatsinks prefer the fans blowing into them. Just thought I would post that...

MrC4

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I agree with Fallen Kell, almost all heatsinks are designed for air flowing down towards the cpu.

Jackbike

Jan 13, 2002
Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink runs cooler with air being sucked from, not blown into it, according to Alpha and supported by cooler review article on this site.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Any time you use an adapter to size a bigger fan to a smaller shroud, the extraction (suck) will deliver better performance.
If you use the fan to blow into the heatsink, the adapter becomes a constriction, funneling if you will - 30% more air
into the same opening. This will increase the pressure and result in compressive heating of the air before it is pushed into
to heatsink. By using it as an extraction device, the adapter becomes an expansion chamber, and will actually result in
a lowering of static pressure and temperature of the air - as it is released through the opening.
Simple application of aerodynamic and thermodynamic principals.

Before anyone challenges this statement - please look up the scientific facts.
Opinions are fine, but data is specific on this configuration throughout the Aerospace industry and in the HVAC industry.