CPU Fan error!

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
I finished building my computer and resolving the annoying chassis intrusion errors..

But I get this error message that says:

CPU Fan error!
Press F1 to resume

I read some other posts about people who are using water cooling systems and proceed to ignore the fan speed in the BIOS setup.. However, I am not using any water cooling systems. I have a stock CPU fan that is sitting on top of the CPU.

Any suggestions on how I might solve this problem?

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Make sure you have your CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan plug on your motherboard and not just an auxiliary plug.

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
The auxiliary means the 4 pin from the PSU right?
THe motherboard slot and the AUX slot is pinned in..

Any suggestions now?

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I'm sorry that's not what I meant. Ok, so your motherboard probably has many different plugs for fans. One of them will be specifically for your CPU HSF. It will probably be labeled "CPU Fan" or something. There will also be many others that are just extra plugs for case fans and such. Make sure that your CPU fan is plugged into the plug on the motherboard for the CPU fan, and not just a normal plug for an extra case fan.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: masteryoda34
I'm sorry that's not what I meant. Ok, so your motherboard probably has many different plugs for fans. One of them will be specifically for your CPU HSF. It will probably be labeled "CPU Fan" or something. There will also be many others that are just extra plugs for case fans and such. Make sure that your CPU fan is plugged into the plug on the motherboard for the CPU fan, and not just a normal plug for an extra case fan.

^ what he said is usually the case

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: masteryoda34

This here.

Usually right by the CPU there is "CPU_Fan" and then either next to it or or the adjacent side of the cpu there is "PWR_FAN". Then somewhere else on the board there is "CHA_FAN" perhaps more than one of those.

Make sure you plugged the fan header into "CPU_FAN" and not one of the others as he said.

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
Oh. I will try that and let you know how it went. By the way, I have been reading around, and some people have said that if the cpu fan exerts too much pressure on the CPU, such errors can show up? Is that true?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: serenadesx
Oh. I will try that and let you know how it went. By the way, I have been reading around, and some people have said that if the cpu fan exerts too much pressure on the CPU, such errors can show up? Is that true?

I have never heard of that. I have only seen this error when I don't use the CPU fan plug. I have a P5K, I do not use the CPU fan plug. My board returns this error, until I change the setting to Ignore the CPU fan speed, voila problem solved.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005

I don't even see how that is possible. The one thing I can think of is that the motherboard is using a RPM limiter to display when it should or shouldn't display the warning. So say that RPM limit is 750 RPM and the CPU fan is only spinning at 500 RPM initially, instead of ramping up the fan speed, it just whines about how there could be a problem.

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
Sorry for late reply. I was coming home for thanksgiving break, and did not have time to look into the forums. My motherboard is ASUS P5QL PRO, and the processor is Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz. Fan is, of course, the fan that stock fan that comes with the processor.

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
Also, I "solved" the problem by going into BIOS and ignoring the fan speed. Now, whether it was from ignoring the CPU fan speed or not, my computer is extremely slow while inside Windows XP. It literally takes 5 minutes to just show the start menu when i click on it. Apparently, problems just compound problems... Any thoughts whether this slow-ness is from ignoring the fan speed?

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
Sorry for late reply. The CPU fan is spinning well.

The temps listed in BIOS is:

CPU temp: 36'C / 96.5'F
MB temp: 29'C / 84'F

The temps listed in Windows is:

CPU temp: 30.5'C
MB temp: 32'C

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
Sorry for late reply. The CPU fan is spinning well.

The temps listed in BIOS is:

CPU temp: 36'C / 96.5'F
MB temp: 29'C / 84'F

The temps listed in Windows is:

CPU temp: 30.5'C
MB temp: 32'C

with those temps the fan is working, so if the fan rpm's dont show up and the fan is good then the ability of the mobo fan header to read the rpm's has failed.

serenadesx

Nov 11, 2008
Oh. Okay, but you see, the sad thing is..

I am faced with yet another challenge.

I was playing some games such as Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 and Starcraft, and when I am in the middle of playing games, or even just dbl-click on the icon to start the game, sometimes the computer just turns off and restarts by itself... i read around and it says if the CPU is over-heated, then the computer might just turn off? How to solve this problem...

please help me... T.T

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
I was about to post the same error and start a new topic today when I saw this thread! I'm having the same problem with my PC (check Rig 1 in my sig for specs). I took the CPU from my older PC. That older PC didn't really have a CPU fan, all it did have was a huge heat sink on the chip itself. Now when I put the CPU + a CPU cooling fan on the new Asus (P5K-VM) mobo I get a CPU Fan Error and F1 to resume. I changed the said fan and also tried a new CM X Dream 4 Fan but I'm still continuing to get the same error!

Btw, I ran a few games on it including Crysis and it ran flawlessly without any freezing or such. Any idea's on how to solve this problem? :confused:

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
you are using a 3 pin fan connector on a 4 pin mobo connector, get a better heatsink and fan, much better.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Now I'm in trouble! That CM fan I got was the best I could get where I stay (after a lot of searching). I know Newegg does not ship to India so that's not an option...wonder what I should do now? Will running my system with that fan harm it?

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
i would get a 4 pin fan and heatsink combo that allow what has been implemented on the mobo and chipset to work as needed.