Question CPU Contact Frames

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone here using the Thermal Grizzly or Thermalright CPU contact frames? Interesting concept. I've always questioned the Intel ILM mechanism as it doesn't seem to apply even pressure to the CPU into the socket. Turns out, that's truer than I thought.

I've ordered the Thermalright version for the new build. I'm not an overclocker, (I've dabbled with the motherboard's o/c software a couple of times, never messed with manual overclocking) so it probably won't make as much of a difference for me as for those who do overclock, but temps matter...and if it makes the cooler more efficient...then it seems like it's worth the minor cost and time spent. I saw a brief discussion in the Raptor Lake thread, but not much.

Opinions?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Also interested.

Also, is this still an issue on z790 boards as well as 690?
I had no issue on my board and using a graphite pad instead of paste with a cheap $45 cooler on 12700k.

It's an option though to use one. When I think of these though it's usually for delidding the CPU for direct contact for lower temps. Iirc the new AMD CPUs drop a good margin with a delid and frame.

Reactions: Leeea