Question CPU change - tweak current rig or buy a new full system - Advice please

Feb 5, 2011
Hi all,

Would really appreciate some advice from fellow members.

My rig is as below, and am looking to figure out what the best next step is in terms of whether I can get more out of this rig or if I now need to take the plunge and upgrade the entire gaming rig.

Asus P8-Z68 V-Pro Gen 3 M/B
Intel 2500k (Sandy Bridge) overclocked to 4.4ghz @ 1.4v never goes above 50c
Gelid Tranquillo air cooling
Corsair XMS3 16GB 1600 C11 DDR3 2x8GB Memory RAM
EVGA GTX 1070 8gb Black Edition
Display is 1920x1200
4x 860 EVO 2TB SSDs
Corsair AX850 PSU
HTC Original Vive

System was overclocked by the company (Scan computers) and has been solid for 9+ years and been able to play most/all games on high or ultra level graphics.

I play VR games like Arizona Sunshine, Alyx and others, as well as Elite Dangerous, Far Cry, GTA on the screen.
Mainly gaming but also use for desktop/ MS Office stuff.

So I saw that I can increase the Ram to 32gb, and managed to find another matching pair (to the Corsair I have), but was advised I also need to upgrade the processor to handle that much ram so also have 2x 3770k CPUs (bought 2 on the basis I would keep the best one that OC and sell the other one). One of the CPUs had a much lower stock voltage level than the other, so assuming this would be the better one to keep?

When I installed the 3770k CPU and extra Ram at stock speed, I found that whilst windows was a bit quicker my VR started dropping frames and became a bit unplayable, this was still the case after running the ASUS EZ OC which took the 3770k CPU to 4.4Ghz, could push it a bit more to 4.6Ghz but heat started to get to 70-80c when running Aida64 system stress test which seemed a bit too high.

So the question is what do I need to do to get a bit more out of this rig? should I have seen a significant speed increase after this CPU/RAM upgrade, or do I need to change the Ram/CPU or something else. The GPU wasn't OC and ran at stock with the 2500K and gave a great performance.

When I went back to the 2500K, and reset everything back to the company saved OC profile 2500k@4.4Ghz Ram at 1600, I am finding that Vive is still displaying i7 logo when starting and doesn't perform as well as it did previously before I tinkered.

Never really done OC myself before so still learning everything.

Would like to try and keep this rig for another 1-2 years before taking the plunge on a full new system, so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks all

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
If you are reliably holding a 4.4GHz OC on that chip, that's about all you can ask for out of it. I'm still running a 2500K in my game rig, but I don't play any recent titles.

Aside from buying a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo, I don't know that there is anything else you can do to prop it up for another 1-2 years.

As far as the poor performance since you reset the 2500K, you might try an OS reload with fresh drivers for the 2500K.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Avatar33
Jul 27, 2020
If you can sell everything and afford to go with Core i5 12th gen, your games should see an amazing performance boost. I actually did the same thing with my Sandy Bridge i3 by upgrading to i7-3770. However, I didn't notice any performance regressions and everything seemed much better. Then my XFX Radeon RX 580 blew up my mobo's PCIe lanes (long story), so I upgraded to a used i7-5775C. However, nothing I've seen before prepared me for the speed improvement of the Core i5 12th gen I bought for a friend. Why wait two years when you can get amazing performance right now? You are long overdue for an upgrade.

Reactions: Avatar33

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Outstanding lurk game.

Something is wrong; A 4/4 CPU performing better than a 4/8 CPU. Then, it no longer working as well after reinstallation confirms it. Did you clear CMOS each time? And since you are new to overclocking, look up a guide for the brand of board and chipset you are on. There will be many out there. Might be ram speed is not at XMP or some other basic setting that is nerfing performance.

But the advice to upgrade is solid too. Even a 12100f and B660 is an excellent upgrade from either of those CPUs and platform. Add a cheap NVME SSD, and use your 1070, and you have a modern system for very little money. As DDR4 is very nicely priced, and win 10 pro can be had legitimately for $12-$15.

Going to be a while before you can get a worthwhile upgrade to a 1070 for anything approaching a decent price.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
OP could also get a Z690 with i3-12100 and BCLK overclock it to 5 GHz or more. I have a feeling that would thrill him.
Even though AL cores are very powerful, I still would recommend at least a six core for any upgrade. Since you have to upgrade ram and motherboard already, an extra hundred or so to upgrade to six cores instead of 4 would definitely seem worth it to me.

Also, I would not count of BCLK overclocking as a permanent solution. I will be very surprised if Intel does not nerf it at some point with a Bios update.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Also, I would not count of BCLK overclocking as a permanent solution. I will be very surprised if Intel does not nerf it at some point with a Bios update.
I also wouldn't be suggesting it to someone with very little or no OC'ing experience. He might be willing to dive in and learn how to do it, but OC'ing wasn't what his query was about.

He's asked whether to upgrade or not, and he should do that NOW if he can afford to, in my opinion. His GPU still has legs on it, but the system core needs to be updated.

Reactions: Tlh97 and coercitiv

Feb 5, 2011
If you are reliably holding a 4.4GHz OC on that chip, that's about all you can ask for out of it. I'm still running a 2500K in my game rig, but I don't play any recent titles.

Aside from buying a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo, I don't know that there is anything else you can do to prop it up for another 1-2 years.

As far as the poor performance since you reset the 2500K, you might try an OS reload with fresh drivers for the 2500K.
Many thanks, the refresh (in place upgrade of Windows 10) seemed to work and resolve the issue. Will definitlely uninstall the CPU drivers before I install a new CPU next time

Reactions: Charlie98

Feb 5, 2011
If you can sell everything and afford to go with Core i5 12th gen, your games should see an amazing performance boost. I actually did the same thing with my Sandy Bridge i3 by upgrading to i7-3770. However, I didn't notice any performance regressions and everything seemed much better. Then my XFX Radeon RX 580 blew up my mobo's PCIe lanes (long story), so I upgraded to a used i7-5775C. However, nothing I've seen before prepared me for the speed improvement of the Core i5 12th gen I bought for a friend. Why wait two years when you can get amazing performance right now? You are long overdue for an upgrade.
Many thanks and sorry to hear your GPU blew up! :(
The reason I am trying to hold out is looking to save up about 2k and spend on a full system, but would need to spend weeks porting everything over (long story) so will only have time to do this next year at the earliest. Thanks for whetting the appetite though, the 12600k looks amazing! Would you delid this to then get more OC?

Feb 5, 2011
Outstanding lurk game.

Something is wrong; A 4/4 CPU performing better than a 4/8 CPU. Then, it no longer working as well after reinstallation confirms it. Did you clear CMOS each time? And since you are new to overclocking, look up a guide for the brand of board and chipset you are on. There will be many out there. Might be ram speed is not at XMP or some other basic setting that is nerfing performance.

But the advice to upgrade is solid too. Even a 12100f and B660 is an excellent upgrade from either of those CPUs and platform. Add a cheap NVME SSD, and use your 1070, and you have a modern system for very little money. As DDR4 is very nicely priced, and win 10 pro can be had legitimately for $12-$15.

Going to be a while before you can get a worthwhile upgrade to a 1070 for anything approaching a decent price.
Yes that's is what I thought, all like for like benchmarks state the 3770k should reasonably outperform the 2500k, I think it probably was a basic setting, so will find a guide for this m/b. As mentioned earlier upgrade has to wait for at least 12 months.
But sent off my 3770k to be delidded, so hopefully this will address the OC heat issue and will then need to see where I get in the short term and what other tweaks maybe useful.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Feb 5, 2011
My 2cents: "it belongs in a museum".
It's fine for "office" but not for any gaming.
Keep the GTX 1070, but upgrade CPU/MoBo/RAM... like yesterday, not in 1-2 years.
I am really surprised at how long it's kept going myself, given I can play (prior to messing around) all games on high or ultra, I didn't think I needed to take the plunge, but over the years can see it is getting a tad slower

Jul 27, 2020
Many thanks and sorry to hear your GPU blew up! :(
GPU didn't blow up. It bloody survived but pulled so much power through the PCIe slot that all the PCIe slots died. It's a design flaw either in 580 or XFX's fault. The mobo went from a fine Z77 to a mere shadow of its former self, not able to run a serious game ever again. Sold that damn 580 for less than $125 and a month later, prices tripled! That's my darn luck!

Jul 27, 2020
The reason I am trying to hold out is looking to save up about 2k and spend on a full system, but would need to spend weeks porting everything over (long story) so will only have time to do this next year at the earliest. Thanks for whetting the appetite though, the 12600k looks amazing! Would you delid this to then get more OC?
Nah. I'm too squeamish for something like a delid. Don't want to lose an expensive new CPU through some clumsy mistake. Next year you will be spoiled for choice. Zen 4 and Raptor Lake will be vying for your attention. Zen 4 might turn out to be the hot skinny blonde while Raptor Lake could be the sexy black girl with the big booty! :p

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Nah. I'm too squeamish for something like a delid. Don't want to lose an expensive new CPU through some clumsy mistake.
I only did it once with my 7700K chip, and the thermal improvement was even better than expected.

I remembered hearing the (Intel) IHS was changing to STIM (soldered thermal interface material) though, making a de-lid harder if not impossible.

STIM chip info directly from Intel

Feb 5, 2011
All,

I would like to get your thoughts on a new gaming rig as mentioned at the beginning of the post, that is what I will be doing going forward mainly gaming and desktop.

I am looking to budget around 2-2.5k for a complete new rig, will keep my monitor for now Iiyama Prolite E2607WS as it runs 1920x1200.

Always stuck with intel and Nvidia, so some ideas about a complete system spec which will be future proofed for 4-5 years, don't mind upgrading RAM/GPU/CPU in years to come, just not a M/B or PSU change. Important that it is quiet and don't really care for RGB/LEDs.

I have seen good reviews about the 12600K. and I know GPUs are mad atm, will the Intel GPU help matters? Is it worth waiting a few more months?

Thoughts appreciated.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
12700k $375
5200 ddr5, 32 gig $349
Motherboard ASUS prime P690 $210
Corsair 1tb 2280 gen4 with heatink $149

So $1,063 + whatever video card you can afford, but I recommend (I assume your case and PSU are OK and compatible.)

3080ti EVGA (this one is $2050 alone.)

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the quick responses, this would be a complete new build so new case, new PSU, I wouldn't be reusing anything except the monitor keyboard and mouse

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses, this would be a complete new build so new case, new PSU, I wouldn't be reusing anything except the monitor keyboard and mouse

Why? If the PSU and case are not broke, it doesn't make much sense to spend another $200-$300 for no performance benefit whatsoever.