Covidiots thread

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There's not a lot of light between that statement and Jonestown. The koolaid just comes in a smaller, more frequent weekly doses. It's possible to chose both god and science. It's not a binary decision. One of them is actually evidence based to be pretty good at saving your life.

Also not a vast gulf with the ISIS-K guys who just blew themselves up at Kabul airport.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Why do these guys so desperately want a “magical” cure that is right under our noses?
Get vaccinated, if you are sick (and young) man the fuck up and deal with it.

Yeah, I posted that earlier. I cannot understand the logic being against injecting a widespread, studied, and now fully approved vaccine, yet are willing to gamble on getting it, then pay out of pocket to inject themselves with unproven medicines meant for livestock parasites and hope for the best.

It's entirely irrational.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Here’s another one for the “The Republican Party is a death cult” file. Governor. Tate Reeves (COVID19-MS), whose state has a higher per capita fatality rate than New York, says not to worry about covid because, Jesus will give them eternal life.

https://www.rawstory.com/mississippi-2654826341/

Reeves - "I'm often asked by some of my friends on the other side of the aisle about COVID … and why does it seem like folks in Mississippi and maybe in the Mid-South are a little less scared, shall we say, When you believe in eternal life — when you believe that living on this earth is but a blip on the screen, then you don't have to be so scared of things" Now, God also tells us to take necessary precautions."

I'm not scared because I believe in science and am vaccinated and properly understand risks.

Our hospitals aren't overflowing with dead and living dead young people and kids. We don't have scores of 30yo with destroyed lungs that can only live with a machine running. We're not manufacturing a generation of COVID orphans.

God won't pay your bills when you are a single parent.

Brushing it off staying "well it will be all better once we're dead" is insane and a recipe for a painful life

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not scared because I believe in science and am vaccinated and properly understand risks.

Our hospitals aren't overflowing with dead and living dead young people and kids. We're not manufacturing a generation of COVID orphans.

Brushing it off staying "well it will be all better once we're dead" is insane and a recipe for a painful life

Infectious diseases eliminated in the in the United States by medical science...

1. Yellow Fever
2. Smallpox
3. Malaria
4. Polio
5. Measles
6. Rubella
7. Diphtheria

Infectious diseases eliminated in the United States by Prayer

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Our hospitals aren't overflowing with dead and living dead young people and kids. We're not manufacturing a generation of COVID orphans.

Reminds me of the story where a man is stranded during a flood and thinks "god will save me!". He sees a box of flares, but waits for god. He sees a log go by, but waits for god. He sees a dog go by, and still waits for god. Eventually the man starves and dies. When he gets to heaven, he asks god "why didn't you save me?!?" And god says "didn't you see the flares, the log, and the dog?"

It is stupid to say god will save us magically, when presumably god also gave us intelligence to understand the world around us and develop things like vaccines or find out that masking and social distancing make a huge difference.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It seem
Reminds me of the story where a man is stranded during a flood and thinks "god will save me!". He sees a box of flares, but waits for god. He sees a log go by, but waits for god. He sees a dog go by, and still waits for god. Eventually the man starves and dies. When he gets to heaven, he asks god "why didn't you save me?!?" And god says "didn't you see the flares, the log, and the dog?"

It is stupid to say god will save us magically, when presumably god also gave us intelligence to understand the world around us and develop things like vaccines or find out that masking and social distancing make a huge difference.

One could easily surmise that god, through our scientists had given us a miracle cure and many of his followers are refusing his gift to them. In so many ways, it's all a matter of perspective. Faith tainted by a political agenda could also be considered the devil's work such is the broad and nebulously vague way god's intentions are interpreted.

God's duly appointed spokespersons at their houses of worship should quit preaching politics from their pulpits because it seems to me there is nothing holy in that act. I mean, one can simply look at how misguided so many of Trump's religiously influenced supporters are that believe Trump was tasked by god to do his work in the White House and that Trump's stance on treating the pandemic as no big deal comes straight from their man in the heavens.

It's a form of insanity, a special kind of hysteria spread by, of all people, religious leaders who should know better.

edit - BTW, that galactic pic you posted over at Shot of the Day is awesome. Gotta try that sometime.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Infectious diseases eliminated in the in the United States by medical science...

1. Yellow Fever
2. Smallpox
3. Malaria
4. Polio
5. Measles
6. Rubella
7. Diphtheria

Infectious diseases eliminated in the United States by Prayer

Well there is a cleansing of these hate filled radio hosts. Now if only Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson could be next

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
No, you are not pointing out jack shit. You're reading a news article trying to interpret something using opinion and then interjecting your own ideas into that opinion.

Truth is, measles vaccines do not stop you from carrying the measles virus either and it's not 100% effective.

Yet measles is considered an eradicated illness in the US, so could Covid-19 be unless the news busybodies and you little busybodies interpreting their opinions were a fucking thing.

My advice to you is to shut the fuck up and get vaccinated, twice. Boosters are at least 8 months from when you received your second shot to make any difference what so ever but mutation vectors are everywhere so let's spread the vaccine rather than giving useless shots to the already vaccinated.

Oh wait... it's the US... Sharing is not an option, even forced us in the EU to forgo our contracted doses because of your export ban. Don't think we'll forget about that.

If you need something... lol, fuck off 'muricans.

I'm not sure what your background is but, I think I'll trust Sir Andrew Pollard a little more than another "internet expert".

In a parliamentary panel on Tuesday, Professor Sir Andrew Pollard warned that herd immunity is a “mythical” concept and should not inform the design of vaccination programmes in the UK or across the globe.

“This virus is not measles – if you have 95 per cent of people vaccinated against measles, the virus cannot transmit in the population,” said Sir Andrew. “But we know very clearly with the coronavirus that the delta variant will still infect people who have been vaccinated, and that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus.”

He added that vaccines may slightly slow the transmission process, as there is some evidence that inoculated people are infectious for a shorter period of time, but warned “we don't have anything” which will completely halt the spread of Covid-19. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-goal-will-never-reached-says-oxford-vaccine/

It still appears that we will not vaccinate our way out of this and we must put more focus on treatments and alternative prevention strategies.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The latest is that given the patient's condition, the doctor expects her to be on the vent for at least three months so add long term lung damage, muscle wasting, heart damage, and high likelihood of secondary infections (pneumonia).
Oh, wait, never mind, hospice care it is. Now my coworker gets to attend the funeral of a sister that should have lived another thirty years.

it’s a death cult indeed.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
weird-hill-to-die-on-but-at-least-youre-dead-memes-26df5cf6fc317b40-e7cefb4c1ae2d8bc.jpg

to callous?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Well, to be fair, he did get to heaven, so I guess that's a "win"?

Really seems like it all touches on the fundamental awkwardness about the way religions promise "eternal life". If you really believe that, it makes _this_ life just an inconvenient waiting-room, or a strangely-arbitrary qualifying exam.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Well there is a cleansing of these hate filled radio hosts. Now if only Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson could be next

I would bet money both Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones have been vaccinated in secret.

I suppose that may not matter if they still regularly go maskless and refuse to social distance.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'm not sure what your background is but, I think I'll trust Sir Andrew Pollard a little more than another "internet expert".

In a parliamentary panel on Tuesday, Professor Sir Andrew Pollard warned that herd immunity is a “mythical” concept and should not inform the design of vaccination programmes in the UK or across the globe.

“This virus is not measles – if you have 95 per cent of people vaccinated against measles, the virus cannot transmit in the population,” said Sir Andrew. “But we know very clearly with the coronavirus that the delta variant will still infect people who have been vaccinated, and that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus.”

He added that vaccines may slightly slow the transmission process, as there is some evidence that inoculated people are infectious for a shorter period of time, but warned “we don't have anything” which will completely halt the spread of Covid-19. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-goal-will-never-reached-says-oxford-vaccine/

It still appears that we will not vaccinate our way out of this and we must put more focus on treatments and alternative prevention strategies.
What you really want is an effective treatment the patient isn’t responsible for.

What we have is a very effective prevention and treatment that the patient must be responsible for.

What do I mean? Most people have treated serious illness as something that happens to them that is out of their control. Any medicine or treatment required to combat the illness is again something they do not control. It’s a choice made by the medical community.

If the disease or treatment ends negatively at no point would most people feel they had a choice in the matter and therefore aren’t responsible for the outcome.

Taking a vaccine on the other hand means you definitely made a choice When you did you were healthy and now YOU took the risk that the vaccine might make you sick for a benefit that only occurs if you eventually get sick AND if it protects you.

For many people it make sense to avoid taking the responsibility of choosing the vaccine. Most people are horribly ignorant when it comes to judging risks too

When you take the current numbers you come up with the following risk likelihood’s:
  • Chance of death from Covid if unvaccinated = 1/61
  • Chance of hospitalization from COVID if unvaccinated = 1/14.5
  • Chance of death from COVID if vaccinated = 1/18,800
  • Chance of hospitalization from COVID if vaccinated = 1/4300
  • Chance of death after receiving a COVID vaccine for any reason including COVID = 1/52,600

But I might not catch COVID. If I don’t my chance of hospitalization or death is 0 unless I take a vaccine then my risk is higher - someone ignorant might say.

The delta variant is as transmissible as Chicken Pox. Until the chicken pox vaccine 95% of people caught it by 18 years old. It’s unlikely you know anyone who reached 18 before the vaccine came out that didn’t have it except for me.

Without the proven mitigations of masks, distancing, and vaccines the chance of catching COVID is about 100% . Then the risks above are the ones everyone will face.

Actual COVID treatments like, regeneron, dexamethasone, and tocilizumab reduce your chance of death by 5-33% depending on circumstances. A COVID Vaccine reduces your chance of death by 30,700%.

With all due respect but waiting for an effective treatment in place of masks and vaccines is deciding to risk death from this disease.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Here's another gem. This psychology prof quit when a student refused to wear her mask properly.

An 88-year-old professor in Georgia resigned in the middle of class because a student refused to wear a mask over her nose: 'That's it, I'm retired'

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
What you really want is an effective treatment the patient isn’t responsible for.

What we have is a very effective prevention and treatment that the patient must be responsible for.

What do I mean? Most people have treated serious illness as something that happens to them that is out of their control. Any medicine or treatment required to combat the illness is again something they do not control. It’s a choice made by the medical community.

If the disease or treatment ends negatively at no point would most people feel they had a choice in the matter and therefore aren’t responsible for the outcome.

Taking a vaccine on the other hand means you definitely made a choice When you did you were healthy and now YOU took the risk that the vaccine might make you sick for a benefit that only occurs if you eventually get sick AND if it protects you.

For many people it make sense to avoid taking the responsibility of choosing the vaccine. Most people are horribly ignorant when it comes to judging risks too

When you take the current numbers you come up with the following risk likelihood’s:
  • Chance of death from Covid if unvaccinated = 1/61
  • Chance of hospitalization from COVID if unvaccinated = 1/14.5
  • Chance of death from COVID if vaccinated = 1/18,800
  • Chance of hospitalization from COVID if vaccinated = 1/4300
  • Chance of death after receiving a COVID vaccine for any reason including COVID = 1/52,600

But I might not catch COVID. If I don’t my chance of hospitalization or death is 0 unless I take a vaccine then my risk is higher - someone ignorant might say.

The delta variant is as transmissible as Chicken Pox. Until the chicken pox vaccine 95% of people caught it by 18 years old. It’s unlikely you know anyone who reached 18 before the vaccine came out that didn’t have it except for me.

Without the proven mitigations of masks, distancing, and vaccines the chance of catching COVID is about 100% . Then the risks above are the ones everyone will face.

Actual COVID treatments like, regeneron, dexamethasone, and tocilizumab reduce your chance of death by 5-33% depending on circumstances. A COVID Vaccine reduces your chance of death by 30,700%.

With all due respect but waiting for an effective treatment in place of masks and vaccines is deciding to risk death from this disease.

To be clear, at no point have I advised against masks, vaccines or any current measures of prevention or treatment. I do take issue with those who think that vaccines are our only salvation and I feel that there is no where near enough discussion of alternative treatments and prevention. My position is that the vaccines are proving to be less effective as we gather more data which includes the delta variant and that a much greater emphasis should be placed on other forms of treatment and prevention.

You may not have noticed but all of the statistics you've cited above are increasing daily since Delta came on the scene and the percentages are only expected to rise as more people become vaccinated. This statement is telling - Up to 15 percent of deaths in May were among vaccinated people, the presentation shows. That contrasts with previous public CDC data showing deaths occur in a tiny number of vaccinated people, just 0.0005 percent. https://www.rollcall.com/2021/07/30/cdc-report-shows-vaccinated-people-can-spread-covid-19/

Since the arrival of the Delta strain, we've learned that the vaccines are not effective at preventing transmission. How effective they will prove to be at preventing hospitalization and/or death against delta and newer variants is still being evaluated. People are looking for some chance at a return to normalcy and the current vaccines are not going to provide that chance.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Generally, I thought people in Marin are a little more thoughtful than this teacher.
This was May so I know the vaccination rates were lower than now where 88.6 % of people over 12 fully vaccinated.
First she was unvaccinated teaching unvaccinated children.

I find her behavior kind of deplorable.
1) Unvaccinated - which an elementary teacher really should not be unvaccinated
2) Had nasal congestion and fatigue but continued to teach school for a couple days just assuming allergies
3) Was reading to the class with her mask down - really WTF?
"For two days, the teacher continued to work, occasionally reading aloud to their 24 students without a mask on, despite a school-wide requirement to wear one indoors. "
4) 12 in her class became sick and this became an additional 14 people because of the transmission before it was caught.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This statement is telling - Up to 15 percent of deaths in May were among vaccinated people, the presentation shows. That contrasts with previous public CDC data showing deaths occur in a tiny number of vaccinated people, just 0.0005 percent. https://www.rollcall.com/2021/07/30/cdc-report-shows-vaccinated-people-can-spread-covid-19/

Those are two different statistics though, I don't see the logic in comparing those two figures, they are measuring different things.

What percentage of deaths were among vaccinated people, is a completely different stat to what percentage of vaccinated people die. Comparing those two, only tangentially-related, numbers borders on dishonesty.

Pretty obviously the former figure is going to be relatively high because the first people to be vaccinated were the elderly and medically-vulnerable, who are more likely to die than the young and healthy, who are also less likely to be represented among the vaccinated.

Personally I'm not entirely in disagreement with the argument that vaccines are not the be-all-and-end-all solution that we once thought they would be. Precisely because it now seems that Delta can be spread pretty widely even by vaccinated people. That's why it's probably a good idea to continue to be cautious and retain measures like masks and social-distancing, even among the vaccinated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other forms of treatment". Vaccines aren't "treatment" anyway.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
To be clear, at no point have I advised against masks, vaccines or any current measures of prevention or treatment. I do take issue with those who think that vaccines are our only salvation and I feel that there is no where near enough discussion of alternative treatments and prevention. My position is that the vaccines are proving to be less effective as we gather more data which includes the delta variant and that a much greater emphasis should be placed on other forms of treatment and prevention.

You may not have noticed but all of the statistics you've cited above are increasing daily since Delta came on the scene and the percentages are only expected to rise as more people become vaccinated. This statement is telling - Up to 15 percent of deaths in May were among vaccinated people, the presentation shows. That contrasts with previous public CDC data showing deaths occur in a tiny number of vaccinated people, just 0.0005 percent. https://www.rollcall.com/2021/07/30/cdc-report-shows-vaccinated-people-can-spread-covid-19/

Since the arrival of the Delta strain, we've learned that the vaccines are not effective at preventing transmission. How effective they will prove to be at preventing hospitalization and/or death against delta and newer variants is still being evaluated. People are looking for some chance at a return to normalcy and the current vaccines are not going to provide that chance.
You cherry picked the that "up to 15 percent" from the article without adding the next relevant sentence.

"Up to 15 percent of deaths in May were among vaccinated people, the presentation shows. That contrasts with previous public CDC data showing deaths occur in a tiny number of vaccinated people, just 0.0005 percent.
But that may reflect that older, immunocompromised people made up a larger proportion of vaccinations earlier in the year."

Anyways, this is the covidiots thread. There are at least 2 other more appropriate threads to discuss what's being discussed here.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, 1 out of 100 kids ends up in the hospital, no big deal. Fuck outta here.

This post is a tour de force in failed analytical skills. I'm impressed.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Generally, I thought people in Marin are a little more thoughtful than this teacher.
This was May so I know the vaccination rates were lower than now where 88.6 % of people over 12 fully vaccinated.

2) Had nasal congestion and fatigue but continued to teach school for a couple days just assuming allergies
"For two days, the teacher continued to work, occasionally reading aloud to their 24 students without a mask on, despite a school-wide requirement to wear one indoors. "
4) 12 in her class became sick and this became an additional 14 people because of the transmission before it was caught.

You vastly overestimate marin County as a whole. This is spot on from my experience. Marin County in general is the norcal south orange county.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

Our granddaughter was exposed in preschool. Now they shut the elementary school down for at least this next week.

We have a 4 and 6yr old btw. We are the grand parents.

Edit, they didn't even make it 2 weeks of in person school.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Where to rant? Here? A new thread? Certainly worth a new thread but I'll do it here.
The people who refuse to vaccinate, the people who refuse to mask up are killing us all. Some killing us physically, but my concern is with those poor workers who are trying to stay working.

I went to my BestBuy to exchange an iPad for an iPad Air. I had an older iPad and BestBuy has this trade-in program. So their customer service is closed because the two people called in sick. Then a rep for Cisco Technologies (wearing a BestBuy outfit) was very helpful and directed me to the check-out registers, well.... they we not sure how to do the trade-in program either. ""Only a cs rep can help you with that, and cs is closed today"". Then this same Cisco rep (not officially a Best Buy employee) tells me that the two cs reps had tested positive and that was why they called in sick.

The few people working at BestBuy were running their asses off trying to assist people. Two register clerks on duty, one poor guy in the geek-squad dept with a waiting line of 8 people waiting for a geek. It was pathetic. And I felt soooo sorry for these people who are TRYING to hold down a job however.... these god-damn anti-vaxxers and god-damn anti maskers are making life difficult for EVERYONE.

Finally, I drove many miles to another BestBuy and that store had one cs rep on duty that knew how to process the trade-in program. I know... I know... you can do this online but my particular iPad was not coming up in the list (online), so I needed in-store assistance. Job done! New iPad Air in the sack.

Then I stopped by a Wendy's to get the doggies a hamburger treat (something they love), and the drive-thru line was atrocious. But I waited... And realized that only two workers were on staff with the two staff taking orders, handling the payment window, cooking the food, and operating the handout window. Again, I felt soooo sorry for these people working that I felt like tipping them $20 each just for being there and just for trying. And then again I realized... this is solely the blame of the god-damn anti-vaxxers and the god damn anti maskers. THEY are spreading the covid around like a plague, and refusing to do their patriotic duty. You know, like Americans did during other pandemics (polio) and during wars (WWII). Back then, patriotism meant being a patriotic, not an obstructionist.

Yes, those anti everything assholes are the only people keeping America from returning to normal, And to top it off, the republican governors within those republican states have blocked the stimulus assistance of $300 to the workers. So..... you have state republican lawmakers passing laws banning mask mandates and blocking schools from imposing masks, and you also have these very same republican lawmakers blocking that $300 financial aid to people working within that state. AND.... you still have workers getting sick with covid, testing positive for covid. The asshole republican governors/lawmakers along with the anti everything assholes are making life extremely unbearable for all of America.

These assholes protest in front of schools, they protest in front of government buildings, they protest in neighborhoods about how THEIR PERSONAL FREEDOM is sooooo threatened. And all the while the people out there who are trying so hard to do the right thing with working and keeping businesses open are the people suffering in so many ways. All because a bunch of republican ass-wipes can join the overgrowing cult of delusional PERSONAL FREEDOM PROTECTORS.

I'm sorry, but someone has to start shooting these assholes in the asshole because their antics and the antics of republican ran states are spoiling it for the rest of us. THEY are the people keeping America so screwed up. I say abduct them, knock them out, force inject them with the shot, and be done with it. Do whatever it takes to GET AMERICA VACCINATED, or we will come after YOU!