Covidiots thread

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This is why people that reject science shouldn't open their pie holes. Summer is the reason why viruses decline not surge (warmer weather, people outdoors). Can you imagine if this delta variant was surging in the winter? The cases would probably be a couple hundred thousand a day instead of 50K a day as we are seeing now.
desantis is an idiot.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
But, wait...it's generally supposed to be the other way around. Virus spread gets worse when people have to hang out close to each other inside (cold weather). Clown.

Well, yeah, it's the exact reverse of what Trump was saying back when the pandemic first hit.

You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April.
- President Trump Feb 10 2020

Reactions: Saylick and Pohemi

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
FWIW, Florida did have a summer spike last year, but that was attributed to Florida climate being an oppressive hellhole that drives everyone indoors to AC to survive.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Better off divorced than with a loon.

I was on a afternoon picnic date this afternoon. She is more progressive, but has a lot of friends all over the country with lots of different views. She mentioned a couple who are married to dudes who are like crazy anti-vax. Including one who is director of a major part of a hospital in NYC and has worked there for 20 years, and told her husband she has never seen anything worse than the Covid outbreak last year in the hospital system ever. By far. Didn't make him flinch, he just posts crazy Covid conspiracy theories and anti-vax stuff anyways. I dunno how these people do it with these neanderthals. It is hard to leave people even as you watch them get sick with Republicanism. Luckily I don't have that problem, nobody I care about is sick with the disease of the GQP.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This probably qualifies as 'covidiocy'. I guess there's an alternative universe out there where Boris went ahead with his usual recklessness and proceeded to kill the Queen. I further guess he won't get re-elected in that one. On the downside, everyone is lumbered with King Charles.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Better off divorced than with a loon.

I was on a afternoon picnic date this afternoon. She is more progressive, but has a lot of friends all over the country with lots of different views. She mentioned a couple who are married to dudes who are like crazy anti-vax. Including one who is director of a major part of a hospital in NYC and has worked there for 20 years, and told her husband she has never seen anything worse than the Covid outbreak last year in the hospital system ever. By far. Didn't make him flinch, he just posts crazy Covid conspiracy theories and anti-vax stuff anyways. I dunno how these people do it with these neanderthals. It is hard to leave people even as you watch them get sick with Republicanism. Luckily I don't have that problem, nobody I care about is sick with the disease of the GQP.

The case in that story

Anthony was a Trump supporter but had never been very politically engaged, nor had he ever shown any interest in conspiracy theories. That changed in February of this year when he tested positive for COVID-19 and was almost entirely unaffected. During the two weeks he spent in complete isolation post-diagnosis, he heard repeatedly on social media that the virus wasn’t actually killing people and that the death tolls had been fabricated — QAnon theories that seemed to be supported by his own mild, cold-like symptoms. (It’s common for coronavirus cases to be mild or asymptomatic.)

Up until that point, the entire family had been very cautious about COVID-19, and Anthony began to feel foolish for having been so afraid. It was the catalyst for his nosedive down the Q rabbit hole, where he absorbed all kinds of QAnon falsehoods. Soon, he was telling Carrie and the kids that President Joe Biden and his cronies had stolen the election from Trump, there was a Democrat-run child sex ring under the White House, the pandemic was a hoax, and everyone who got any of the COVID-19 vaccines would be dead within two years.

“I think my husband has lost his mind,” said Carrie, who tried tirelessly to debunk his delusions until she eventually accepted that no amount of logic or evidence would sway him. “How does someone go from being a normal human to being so crazy?”

Makes me wonder if there might not be a direct, biological, effect of COVID on the brain involved. He got COVID, didn't have any obvious physical symptoms, then turned into an insane Q-anon believer. Makes one wonder.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
RIP to another Covidiot that thought their invisible super friend would protect them better than getting the vax.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57958358

4CILp5T.jpeg

Christian rapper that would rather slap your cheek than turn the other -

gQ4ile4.jpg

So many Darwin Award winners now, there is no way to keep up.

B580Yqn.jpg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Last week, Zuern was one of four people who protested in Provincetown against the state's VaxBus program. The bus is a mobile vaccination unit to help inoculate rural residents who might lack access to nearby health clinics.

On her social media, Zuern shared posts claiming that COVID-19 was a man-made virus used by "globalists" to push the "UN Agenda 2030" for a one-world government. She also shared posts pushing the QAnon conspiracy theory, opposing Critical Race Theory in schools and repeating the claim that voter fraud "stole" the 2020 election from Trump.

I just am unable to understand how people get so crazy. Something about the culture and life-experiences of white Americans causes many of them to lose all touch with reality.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
My Trumpie/Anti-Vaxxer family members are STILL claiming that hospitals were PAID MONEY to label non-covid deaths AS COVID DEATHS. Quotes some lady on some right wing radio talk show as claiming that her husband was shot in a holdup, autopsy revealed he was covid positive as well and thus the hospital labeled the death not as gunshot but as covid. And thus the hospital was paid $$$. Paid by whom? The tooth fairy? :rolleyes:

I guess its the psychologist in me, but beyond the lunacy and the nonsense I really want to know WTF is wrong with these people? These people that were so conned by Donald Trump (and continue to be), these people who are so ignorant when it comes to common sense, who believe the government is out to kill them, would rather risk death than get a simple shot in the arm, but still have the intelligence to figure out how to use toilet paper. How low can they go? What is their problem????? Is it the fluoride?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Facebook and YouTube. After being primed by Fox.

That just doesn't seem sufficient to explain it. There has to be a deeper explanation, something long-standing in the culture and general conditions of life that made them receptive to that stuff. The "UN plot to achieve world government" and Qanon stuff seems _so_ crazy. The role of race in US history and culture must be a big part of it (and, over here, the history of Empire and the attitudes that went with it), but even that doesn't seem quite enough.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That just doesn't seem sufficient to explain it. There has to be a deeper explanation, something long-standing in the culture and general conditions of life that made them receptive to that stuff. The "UN plot to achieve world government" and Qanon stuff seems _so_ crazy. The role of race in US history and culture must be a big part of it (and, over here, the history of Empire and the attitudes that went with it), but even that doesn't seem quite enough.

There was always an undercurrent of belief in conspiracy and quackery in America but it's gotten mainstreamed so now a larger portion of the population believes it, this time with very harmful results. I imagine there are books on this subject but I haven't looked for them.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I just am unable to understand how people get so crazy. Something about the culture and life-experiences of white Americans causes many of them to lose all touch with reality.
That just doesn't seem sufficient to explain it. There has to be a deeper explanation, something long-standing in the culture and general conditions of life that made them receptive to that stuff.
There was always an undercurrent of belief in conspiracy and quackery in America but it's gotten mainstreamed so now a larger portion of the population believes it, this time with very harmful results. I imagine there are books on this subject but I haven't looked for them.
I see many of the GQP idiot fucks clinging to these unrealities due to feeling the need to belong to some supposedly "informed" group that is uncovering (read: making up) these conspiracies.

They're some of the dumbest c*nts in the country, and want to feel smart and informed and "in the know", even if it's based on bullshit. They just dig in their ignorant heels if questioned or challenged, and eventually reach the point where it doesn't matter how crazy it sounds.

They've chosen their "side" and don't understand where to draw the line, so they just dive in head-first and forget where the doorway they entered through was located (back to reality).

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
"Florida is recording more Covid-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic."

We're #1! Yay! We're #1!

Oh, wait...

:eek: :confused: :( :(:(

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
"Florida is recording more Covid-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic."

We're #1! Yay! We're #1!

Oh, wait...

:eek: :confused: :( :(:(
And that while DeSantis is scaling back COVID reporting. How fucking bad is it actually?

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Clearly the problem here is we need more pieces praising how DeSantis has handled COVID

According to the Trumpists in my family, the surge in cases in FL and TX are because of unvaccinated illegals that are just being "waved across" the border by CBP. Even trying to point out the most obvious thing wrong with that, i.e. "FL doesn't even have a land border for illegals to cross" gets rebutted with "well they come in though TX and then go across the southern states to FL and then point to the increase in cases in LA, AL, etc. as proof.

• Haha
Reactions: Bitek

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
And that while DeSantis is scaling back COVID reporting. How fucking bad is it actually?

Who knows? DeSantis decreed a while back that daily statistical reports were out and numbers would only come out weekly. Unfortunately the weekly death toll for last week and this one are not matching up by nearly 300 deaths. Fifteen % of covid tests are coming back positive. And the state only vaccinated an additional about 175,000 this last week. Fully vaccinated rate is at 46%. Not thrilling.

Our county, the state capital county , hasn't sent out a situation report since Jul1. Subsequent weekly reports are apparently under review. No idea why. Our county's positive testing rate is about 15% positive as well.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie