Covidiots thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Brain damage from football can be a subtle thing. I can't imagine how many times he's been smacked in the head.

He played at Southern Methodist University. That school is famous for generating uneducated sociopaths.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Exactly. My Mom has an auto-immune condition and is on a very powerful biologic immune suppressor (Plus MTX and prednisone). So powerful that she would have to wait months off it, for any chance to form a decent antibody response and once she started again, it likely would get pushed back down to useless again.

People like my Mom rely on healthy people doing the right thing to establish solid herd immunity.

Any healthy person not getting a vaccine is a selfish prick.

10X that for any health care workers not getting immunized as they end up interacting with the most vulnerable populations. COVID ravaged nursing homes in many places.

To this day it perplexes me that admission to medical school, nursing school, PA programs, Pharm school, etc, do not require a full complement of vaccinations for each individual (health permitting) before being admitted.
There is simply no legitimate religious or otherwise excuse that can preclude a medical worker from actually engaging in modern medicine.

This country needs a giant fucking enema, and we need to start flushing these fucking turds out of these fields.

Dec 10, 2005
To this day it perplexes me that admission to medical school, nursing school, PA programs, Pharm school, etc, do not require a full complement of vaccinations for each individual (health permitting) before being admitted.
There is simply no legitimate religious or otherwise excuse that can preclude a medical worker from actually engaging in modern medicine.
My spouse is starting med school and they are requiring shots - though, it wasn't required during the admissions process, just after acceptance and before starting. She even had to get titers for rubella and hep B, which suggested she needed boosters (though, I'm a little skeptical of how reliable antibody titers are).

Reactions: zinfamous

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The mRNA vaccines have been shown to be very effective, even against this variant.

The cases you are linking to are two 80+ yo patients already in hospital and caught the virus there.

I don't think you can extrapolate much from a pair of frail hospital patients to the general population.

That being said, this is why the NFL as an employer, will want employees vaccinated as not to endanger the business or other coworkers. The fact that the business is sports doesn't make it extraordinary.

Now Israel (one of the most Vaccinated countries) has an outbreak of Delta, with about half the cases being among the vaccinated:

As before, I am not saying don't get vaccinated. Most definitely get vaccinated as it does offer significant protection, which is better than no protection.

I am just saying don't treat your vaccination as an immunity shield, and it might still be prudent to avoid the potential plague carrying anti-vaxxer, anti-masker idiots like Cole Beasley, that we were discussing.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Now Israel (one of the most Vaccinated countries) has an outbreak of Delta, with about half the cases being among the vaccinated:

As before, I am not saying don't get vaccinated. Most definitely get vaccinated as it does offer significant protection, which is better than no protection.

I am just saying don't treat your vaccination as an immunity shield, and it might still be prudent to avoid the potential plague carrying anti-vaxxer, anti-masker idiots like Cole Beasley, that we were discussing.

According to the article, it looks like the vaccines are doing their job. Yes there are cases, but no serious cases have been reported.

As I've said before, this is where the antivaxers are in far more danger from me than I from them.

There will likely be a low level of infection that continues on for some time. Vaccinated may even get mild or asymptomatic cases here and there, but we've stopped the cautionary measures. In the end, not a big deal for us.

So if people like Cole are out and about without masks or being distanced, then they are putting themselves at great risk of getting seriously ill and possibly winning a Darwin award. The risk calculation they are doing makes no fing sense to me.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Doing the right thing for the wrong reason. Totally unsurprising.

As i probably mentioned before, i care only about safety of myself and my family. Base on mutation of Covid, it made sense to get vaccinated against possibility of getting seriously sick.

shouldn't the vaccine scare you more? like, 100 or so kids had to take some ibuprofen recently.
Your joke makes no sense but you're welcome to keep making yourself look stupid.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
As i probably mentioned before, i care only about safety of myself and my family. Base on mutation of Covid, it made sense to get vaccinated against possibility of getting seriously sick.
The more dangerous and deadly covid mutation evolving because not enough people vaccinated in the first place has always been one of the strongest arguments for everyone getting vaccinated as soon as possible. Well, now that what everybody warned you was going to happen actually has happened, now you're going to get vaccinated? Real smart of you. The horses already left the barn. People like you - people refusing to vaccinate while also refusing to mask up is big reason why we have these variants. You get no brownie points you selfish prick.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ha. And now you can wait for the variant that might pop up because a bunch of other people haven't got vaccinated because they think in the same stupid short term way you do. You can hope that that variant is still stopped by the vaccine.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The more dangerous and deadly covid mutation evolving because not enough people vaccinated in the first place has always been one of the strongest arguments for everyone getting vaccinated as soon as possible.

I wonder if enough Anti-Vaxxers believe in evolution for that argument to carry any weight? Probably not.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'd love to know the back story. Why inspired such as stupid act like spitting on someone.

Me too. I can imagine words exchanged prior, but the spitting is assault and imo what the guy did could be viewed as self defense. Whatever happened, it sucks.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Me too. I can imagine words exchanged prior, but the spitting is assault and imo what the guy did could be viewed as self defense. Whatever happened, it sucks.
Self defense doesn't give him the right to escalate the way he did

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Self defense doesn't give him the right to escalate the way he did

Spitting is criminal assault in most locales if you deliberately spit in someone's face. It's also disgusting, the guy reacted how I would expect most reasonable people to react. I would have been disappointed if he stood there like a dummy. She could have whacked her head and gotten injured from that fall, but then again she shouldn't have spat in his face to begin with. So, fuck her she deserved it.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
If you spit in someones face, expect to get the living crap beat out of you.

It was one of the most grievous insulting/instigating behaviors, even before the COVID factor.

I'd punch someone in the face over spitting in their face. I consider spitting in the face worse.