Covidiots thread

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Canada has organized Covidiots too. Prairie Provice(Canada's far right conservative belt) churches are trying to overturn gathering bans. Not a single mask in the crowd:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Canada has organized Covidiots too. Prairie Provice(Canada's far right conservative belt) churches are trying to overturn gathering bans. Not a single mask in the crowd:

I have the impression Alberta is the Texas of Canada.

At the same time, this is perversely funny

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also, the Quebecois seem to have all the more annoying traits of the French, but dialed up to onze.

Even French people apparently aren't sufficiently French for the Quebecois

Yohan Flaman, a long-haul truck driver from Limoges, France, however, was confident that proficiency in his native tongue would be enough to satisfy officials in the Canadian province of Quebec.

But after taking a French proficiency exam required for permanent residency, Flaman was dismayed to learn he had failed.
“I was shocked,” he told the Guardian. Despite apprehensions over taking the test by computer, he had anticipated a far better result. “It’s not great to be French and to fail an exam like this.”

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Also, the Quebecois seem to have all the more annoying traits of the French, but dialed up to onze.

Even French people apparently aren't sufficiently French for the Quebecois

Canada's burden. I remember when I was a kid, we took a tour through that part of Canada. If you spoke English they would look at you cross eyed, so then being in my second year of French in Jr. High School attempted to speak in French to them and received even more scorn.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I hope he gets his ass sued off.

Eye-popping lawsuit portrays GOP lawmaker’s office as a Covid-19 petri dish - POLITICO

The lawsuit claims that Lamborn ignored congressional pandemic protocols and endangered his own staff, mocked aides who wanted to wear masks, forced staffers to show up for work in person and dismissed social-distancing guidelines. Eventually, those actions resulted in “widespread transmission of the virus throughout both the district and Washington DC offices,” the lawsuit states, leading both offices to shutter for a time.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm kind of worried about some political consequences if illness and deaths from the virus go down to zero or near zero in 12 to 15 months or so even if most people don't wear masks and less than 50% or 60% of the US gets vaccinated. The conservatives will say the Republicans are the heroes for the vaccine production in 2020.

And they'll even try to say conservatives saved our lives because of that. They may use it as a campaign tool in the 2024 election and unfortunately it may work to get a Republican to win. Or even sooner to turn the Congress in 2022. Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, didn't read all of the last few pages.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Ok then let me try a conspiracy theory. First off I'm for CA governor Newsom, I hope he survives the recall efforts and stays in office. But I wonder if the CDC relaxation of the mask guidelines was partly meant to help him remain as governor and defeat the recall. By having the voters feel things are close to normal again maybe they will not vote to recall him.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Ok then let me try a conspiracy theory. First off I'm for CA governor Newsom, I hope he survives the recall efforts and stays in office. But I wonder if the CDC relaxation of the mask guidelines was partly meant to help him remain as governor and defeat the recall. By having the voters feel things are close to normal again maybe they will not vote to recall him.

Apparently someone's written an entire book already, critiquing the CDC's pandemic response. Heard Ezra Klein interviewing the author. I hadn't really paid attention to the CDC's performance, Trump being easy to blame for everything that went wrong, and anyway there being more than enough ineptitude going on on this side of the Atlantic to take up my attention. But from the sound of it, it doesn't seem like the CDC comes out of it smelling of roses either. One thing I hadn't known before is that it was the Reagan administration that changed the CDC leadership to a political appointment rather than a career civil-service scientist. Sounds like a bad idea, to politicize the institution like that.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

lol, that along with no fly list will suck

A passenger on a JetBlue flight from the Dominican Republic to New York on February 7, 2021, failed to comply with multiple flight attendant instructions to wear a face mask. According to the FAA, the same passenger threw an empty alcohol bottle and food, shouted obscenities at crew members, grabbed a flight attendant’s arm, struck the arm of another flight attendant twice in the arm and scratched his hand, and drank from her own stash of personal alcohol. As a result, the flight was forced to returned to the Dominican Republic and the passenger faces a fine of $32,750.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Canada's burden. I remember when I was a kid, we took a tour through that part of Canada. If you spoke English they would look at you cross eyed, so then being in my second year of French in Jr. High School attempted to speak in French to them and received even more scorn.

A woman at work's husband is from Quebec. They went to France on vacation where they made fun of his Quebec french which caused him stop speaking french for the rest of the trip.

My inlaws are from Quebec originally and my wife points out how they use all these weird filler words that only exist to them.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Just shows you can't fix stupid. How did this maroon get elected to congress?

Lauren Boebert stated there hadn't been a single COVID-19 death in Texas since mask restrictions ended in March. Data shows thousands had, in fact, died.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
A woman at work's husband is from Quebec. They went to France on vacation where they made fun of his Quebec french which caused him stop speaking french for the rest of the trip.

My inlaws are from Quebec originally and my wife points out how they use all these weird filler words that only exist to them.
My dad and I were at the train station in Antwerp and this nice old Belgian man asks to share our table. Sure! Chatting with him and we say we're from the states, and it wasn't 3 minutes into the conversation where he bitched about the French Canadians and not being able to understand a single fucking word they said 😂

There's a decent contingent of french folks at my work and one quebecois and they get together for french lunches and a buddy of mine insists it's not too much of a problem.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Lauren Boebert stated there hadn't been a single COVID-19 death in Texas since mask restrictions ended in March. Data shows thousands had, in fact, died.

Elected by fellow morons.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
We still have too many used masks laid on the ground (different locations) around here. Nasty individuals.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm kind of worried about some political consequences if illness and deaths from the virus go down to zero or near zero in 12 to 15 months or so even if most people don't wear masks and less than 50% or 60% of the US gets vaccinated. The conservatives will say the Republicans are the heroes for the vaccine production in 2020.

And they'll even try to say conservatives saved our lives because of that. They may use it as a campaign tool in the 2024 election and unfortunately it may work to get a Republican to win. Or even sooner to turn the Congress in 2022. Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, didn't read all of the last few pages.

I mean, conservative leaders have already shown they'll just say whatever and their voters will cheer them on. Facts aren't important.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Here's a mind F... Here's TX vs MA deaths per capita. I've removed the labels. Tell me which one is which.

txvma_1.png

Don't like BoBo, and zero is a lie, but gotta be data faithful.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Orange is MA, we got wrecked last spring, and 1/3 the population of TX

It's normalized to per capita. MA is also a lot denser.

You are right tho. If I cropped to just Nov-now, you couldn't tell.

NJ has been more restrictive, but one of the highest per capita death rates (#1?).

Compare a lot of Trumpy states to strong blue states... Not huge differences in data.

AL even. Horrible vax rollout even, but low rates. We'll see this summer if they pay, but another data point to say that the mask lifting is not too much to worry about at this time with lots of immunity and low rates.

Last edited: