Covidiots thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I was bracing for reports of a big increase in covid sickness and death in Texas but instead reports say TX hospitalization rates are flat. Which means it's not going up as expected. Not sure exactly why and I don't want to fan any false political agendas.

Last week in the thread it was posted that maybe people in Texas are more aware of trying to avoid catching the virus and that could be helping the situation in spite of the lifting of the mask mandate. But people in Texas behaving? Sorry had to throw that in there.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Rates are spiking but hospitalizations and deaths are flat or declining. Two proposed factors are:
1) deaths and hospitalizations are a lagging indicator by roughly 2-4 weeks and 1-3 weeks respectively, so they may be brewing still.
2) the most at-risk populations are likely nearing herd immunity levels of vaccination in large swaths of the country so the case death rate will hopefully drop from what we've seen to date, especially during the holiday surge.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

More like the "million idiot march". they didn’t get a Million. Apparently they got “hundreds of idiots”

Couple of gems:

The "anti-mask" shit is just so annoyingly stupid. Had to go to facebook to read our governors statement, and it was just full of people crying about mask are literally Auschwitz! "we've vaccinated 8 people, get rid of mask! blag blah!"
Lockdowns, closing stores, travel restrictions; ok these kill businesses and have an impact, we can argue the cost/benefits. But mask?! About the most inconsequential inconvenience, the personal cost is near zero, and just putting something on your face to go to the grocery store?? How big of a hassle is this really? Who fucking cares?!?! Just WHY?
I'm just so sick and tired hearing that absolutely anything and everything! is a government plot to control us! Sigh. Not a single public service can be offered without it being full on 1984/stasi/nazis/stalin. So damn exhausting! And I don't even belive it! I can't imagine how tiring it is to live like this and believe all of it. That can not be healthy!

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Rates are spiking but hospitalizations and deaths are flat or declining. Two proposed factors are:
1) deaths and hospitalizations are a lagging indicator by roughly 2-4 weeks and 1-3 weeks respectively, so they may be brewing still.
2) the most at-risk populations are likely nearing herd immunity levels of vaccination in large swaths of the country so the case death rate will hopefully drop from what we've seen to date, especially during the holiday surge.

I'm optimistic for door #2. Though there could be some variation from place to place depending if you're got a bunch of old white republicans who think it is Bill Gates nanobots or something because Facebook says so and won't take it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was bracing for reports of a big increase in covid sickness and death in Texas but instead reports say TX hospitalization rates are flat. Which means it's not going up as expected. Not sure exactly why and I don't want to fan any false political agendas.

Last week in the thread it was posted that maybe people in Texas are more aware of trying to avoid catching the virus and that could be helping the situation in spite of the lifting of the mask mandate. But people in Texas behaving? Sorry had to throw that in there.

Weather has been pretty good around here so lots of people are outside where the risk is minimal. Patios are quite busy here in Austin. That's going to change once it heats up but most people should have at least a first dose by then.

Reactions: Dave_5k

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Weather has been pretty good around here so lots of people are outside where the risk is minimal. Patios are quite busy here in Austin. That's going to change once it heats up but most people should have at least a first dose by then.
Agree, several recent articles mentioning the observed minimal risk of transmission outdoors.

Also, with >35% of total Texas population now with at least 1 vaccination shot, and >22% fully vaccinated, absent increased contact activity, I would have expected cases to drop by more than 20-30% - but instead has been staying roughly flat.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
In a House Coronavirus Crisis Subcommittee meeting, Jim Jordan kept asking Dr. Fauci stupid questions like, “Give me a date when the pandemic will be over”, and “when will public health mandates be lifted”, and wouldn’t stop asking questions and demanding answers, even after his speaking time was up. It got so bad the committee chair told him, “You need to respect the chair and shut the fuck up!”

Sheesh! ... I know Fauci is good at not "taking the bait" ... but! ...

it would be nice if Fauci had said something like this. Or at the very least:

“Unfortunately, we can’t give a specific answer to when the pandemic will be declared over or when we can lift public health mandates. This is because there are far, far too many fucking idiots like yourself, who are not doing their part, and are helping to spread not only this disease, but also are responsible for foolish and wrong notions that are actually prolonging this crisis. It would be nice if dipshits like you - Instead of just posturing for your mouth breathing electorate - You would promote mask wearing and vaccines instead of mocking them . So YOU, Mister Jordan, have it in your power to make this go away sooner. It’s a shame that you’re doing the opposite.”

Fauci can’t really win in these situations because he doesn’t feel he can say ‘you and your irresponsible messaging are the main problem here’ or anything close. Intelligent onlookers, of course, realize that the Gym fucking Jordans of the world and their opportunistic fellow Trumpists ARE the problem.

Reactions: balloonshark

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Lately, my Trumpie anti mask anti vaccine relatives have added to their BS from a different angle, posting crap on their FB that the covid vaccines are killing people. This, I guess, justifies for they're not taking the vaccine, none of those offered. But we all know by now that you can't argue with these people, they have fallen off the cliff of reality. Frankly, for them I'm not even sure if this is still a Trump thing, or some type of insanity that goes far beyond Donald Trump? I'm beginning to believe they were already insane, hid it well, no one knew, and Donald trump had little to do with it.

View attachment 42830
I mean I'd go with the "BuT iS tHaT WitH VaCciNe or fRoM VaCcIne" because that annoyed the piss out of me when they did it with reported covid deaths!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
In a House Coronavirus Crisis Subcommittee meeting, Jim Jordan kept asking Dr. Fauci stupid questions like, “Give me a date when the pandemic will be over”, and “when will public health mandates be lifted”, and wouldn’t stop asking questions and demanding answers, even after his speaking time was up. It got so bad the committee chair told him, “You need to respect the chair and shut the fuck up!”

Sheesh! ... I know Fauci is good at not "taking the bait" ... but! ...

it would be nice if Fauci had said something like this. Or at the very least:

“Unfortunately, we can’t give a specific answer to when the pandemic will be declared over or when we can lift public health mandates. This is because there are far, far too many fucking idiots like yourself, who are not doing their part, and are helping to spread not only this disease, but also are responsible for foolish and wrong notions that are actually prolonging this crisis. It would be nice if dipshits like you - Instead of just posturing for your mouth breathing electorate - You would promote mask wearing and vaccines instead of mocking them . So YOU, Mister Jordan, have it in your power to make this go away sooner. It’s a shame that you’re doing the opposite.”

Fauci can’t really win in these situations because he doesn’t feel he can say ‘you and your irresponsible messaging are the main problem here’ or anything close. Intelligent onlookers, of course, realize that the Gym fucking Jordans of the world and their opportunistic fellow Trumpists ARE the problem.
Gym always delivers. I wonder how many times he was voted class clown.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Unfortunately Gym "what's a little molestation" Jordan is speaking to the 25% of the population that is dumber than a box of rocks.

Pretty much. And yet to millions of alleged human brains, Jordan’s screaming demands at Fauci to predict the future (to the day) counts as both “intelligent” and “leadership.” Because you yell at expert witnesses to show that YOU are in charge, not them with their stupid FACTS!

We saw the same thing with Trump’s fandom, of course. They looked at toddler tantrums and saw “leadership.” And it wasn’t solely a function of being in a news bubble that gave them nothing but praise of the toddler. It was looking at the exact same toddler behavior and conduct the rest of us were seeing, and somehow coming to the conclusion: ‘that’s what a real leader does!.’

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Bill Maher is at it again, this time giving credit to the Florida governor, but this Forbes article takes issue with him.

In my opinion Maher thinks some or most of the lockdowns don't work very well as practiced in the US. Whether or not that's true he neglects to emphasize social distancing and masks in the workplace. He wants more businesses to reopen now but like the typical conservative won't seriously discuss working safely where possible on the job to curtail spread of the virus.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
  • Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So Alaska state republican rep Lora Reinbold has been making trouble for Alaska Airlines. Every time she gets on a flight, she refuses to wear a mask, and calls them "masks bullies." So they banned her. She evidently lives in Anchorage and now she has to take a 14 hour ride to get to the state capital in Juneau, travelling though part of Canada and taking a ferry for the last leg.

Moron.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
So Alaska state republican rep Lora Reinbold has been making trouble for Alaska Airlines. Every time she gets on a flight, she refuses to wear a mask, and calls them "masks bullies." So they banned her. She evidently lives in Anchorage and now she has to take a 14 hour ride to get to the state capital in Juneau, travelling though part of Canada and taking a ferry for the last leg.

Moron.
As indicated by the (R) by her name.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Moron.

I wish Canada would ban her ass from our airspace as well.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Private school in Miami warns staff not to get the Covid 19 vaccine

More at the link, but this shit is classic:

Unsatisfied with the schooling options available locally, they opened Centner Academy in the Design District in 2019 as the first “Happiness School.” The school’s website prominently displays: “MEDICAL FREEDOM FROM MANDATED VACCINES.”

&

The school has a chiropractor on staff to give adjustments to students and staff and practices meditation among students with the use of crystals.

Lol ... A veritable bastion of science!

So, the school sent forms to all staff for them to fill out, to declare their vax status and/or intentions, with threatening language should they lie.

So, if I get vaccinated, I have two choices:
  1. Tell the truth, and immediately get fired.
or
  1. Lie about it, and keep my job until I am discovered.
What to do, what to do…

This just sounds like a purity test to make sure everybody is dinking the kool-aid. If you’re not drinking the kool-aid, you might want to find a job at a real school.

The Trump Indoctrination Center. Those poor kids. For all the reasons.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Private school in Miami warns staff not to get the Covid 19 vaccine

More at the link, but this shit is classic:

&

Lol ... A veritable bastion of science!

So, the school sent forms to all staff for them to fill out, to declare their vax status and/or intentions, with threatening language should they lie.

So, if I get vaccinated, I have two choices:
  1. Tell the truth, and immediately get fired.
or
  1. Lie about it, and keep my job until I am discovered.
What to do, what to do…

This just sounds like a purity test to make sure everybody is dinking the kool-aid. If you’re not drinking the kool-aid, you might want to find a job at a real school.

The Trump Indoctrination Center. Those poor kids. For all the reasons.

LOL that their sign says "The Brain School." They should get a refund since the painter left off the "less".