Covidiots thread

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The medical issue thing is hilarious.

"Oh I have a breathing problem so severe that I can't wear a surgical mask which doesn't really impact my breathing at all but I'm happy to go out in public during a respiratory pandemic!"
Honestly Karen if your respiratory condition is that bad you want to be getting everything delivered and not leaving the house!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

great thread of a person working at a grocery store and his experience asking people to wear a mask while entering the store

saying it's almost exclusively middle aged white people throwing tantrums
The fact that people believe this like this...

So this last one of the day I do feel bad about. A young woman comes with without a mask. I do my thing and she says she doesn’t have to wear a mask because she’s pregnant. I tell her about our pickup and delivery options. She says she’s dying and just wants food. 1/3

... is completely mind boggling to me.

Reactions: KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
The medical issue thing is hilarious.

"Oh I have a breathing problem so severe that I can't wear a surgical mask which doesn't really impact my breathing at all but I'm happy to go out in public during a respiratory pandemic!"
Honestly Karen if your respiratory condition is that bad you want to be getting everything delivered and not leaving the house!

Yeah, I’m in Maine for the week and had to run to Walmart for something I forgot to bring with me.
Woman & young man in front of me when asked “Do you have a mask?”
“No, we have asthma”

I really felt like saying my mom has had asthma for 70 plus years. She is capable of wearing a mask in Walmart

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, I’m in Maine for the week and had to run to Walmart for something I forgot to bring with me.
“No, we have asthma”

I really felt like saying my mom has had asthma for 70 plus years. She is capable of wearing a mask in Walmart

Just curious, which Walmart? I hopped over July 4th weekend, was dismayed. The high percentage of rational non-assholes in VT has spoiled me I guess.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Just curious, which Walmart? I hopped over July 4th weekend, was dismayed. The high percentage of rational non-assholes in VT has spoiled me I guess.

Sanford (I think) Maine.
Mask wearing was not perfect inside the store but pretty good. Probably 90-something percent. I saw these two at the door, Walmart did have someone politely challenge them who had a mask if needed.
I saw a mid 20s couple who had masks around their necks, I saw an old dude with a tough guy shirt on no mask at all. I assume he had asthma too.
Oh and another young couple without masks at all.
Store was moderately busy I easily saw 100 people while in the store.

Summary so far Maine doesn’t appear to be better at mask wearing than Mass, really rare I see people without a mask in Mass. Not so rare to see an old guy wearing the mask wrong.
Maine does have the virus under control. I think the mask requirement is recent due to tourists arriving.
Funny how I can spot the no mask wearing required at home visitors easily. They are overly worried about shit sort of like I was in March. Wear the mask, sanitize hands when you leave, don’t touch for face/eyes/nose until you wash or sanitize.

Reactions: Pohemi

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah people online think the medical issue thing is a loophole they can exploit so they lie and say they have problems. My gf has asthma and works 8 hours a day with a mask on (pharmacist) and we wear masks whenever we go out.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
2 boats at Niagara Falls show stark difference between social distancing in US, Canada

Idk. While I certainly agree Canada has taken corona waaay more seriously than the US has, I think that example also speaks to the realities of a closed border*.

We have a higher population of people who vacation, also attract a lot more tourists in general than Canada (sorry though eh). Isn't the Canadian side better there? I've heard that anyway. 6ft-16ft sounds like social distancing done right. Near 60ft distancing sounds more like people are getting laid off soon. Says Canadian one was limited to just 6, I'd like to know if there was a line back at port. The one out of NY looks like it has more than a 50% passenger load, is it just me? I do kinda see people wearing masks here and there, but still, that's a throng of people shoulder to shoulder. Canada went nuts on cancelling flights for awhile didn't they? From what I've heard from people in Quebec and New Brunswick overall numbers of visitors are way way down.

*to non-essential traffic

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Makes me realize taking fam to Banff is likely going to have to wait awhile.

Sadness.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Idk. While I certainly agree Canada has taken corona way more seriously than the US has, I think that example speaks to the realities of a closed border* just as much if not more.

We have a higher population of people who vacation, also attract a lot more tourists in general than Canada (sorry though eh). Isn't the Canadian side better there? I've heard that anyway. 6ft-16ft sounds like social distancing done right. Near 60ft distancing sounds more like people are getting laid off soon. Says Canadian one was limited to just 6, I'd like to know if there was a line back at port. The one out of NY looks like it has more than a 50% passenger load, is it just me?

Looks like near 100% to me.

Mar 11, 2004
“No, we have asthma”

You should've responded "as the ma what?"

Mar 11, 2004
Idk. While I certainly agree Canada has taken corona waaay more seriously than the US has, I think that example also speaks to the realities of a closed border*.

We have a higher population of people who vacation, also attract a lot more tourists in general than Canada (sorry though eh). Isn't the Canadian side better there? I've heard that anyway. 6ft-16ft sounds like social distancing done right. Near 60ft distancing sounds more like people are getting laid off soon. Says Canadian one was limited to just 6, I'd like to know if there was a line back at port. The one out of NY looks like it has more than a 50% passenger load, is it just me? I do kinda see people wearing masks here and there, but still, that's a throng of people shoulder to shoulder. Canada went nuts on cancelling flights for awhile didn't they? From what I've heard from people in Quebec and New Brunswick overall numbers of visitors are way way down.

I don't know, I think I'd take this as a sign that maybe Canada has the right idea with that stuff?

The United States reported 57,777 new COVID-19 cases as of Tuesday, compared with Canada’s 786.

I mean, sure as shit makes more sense to go nuts to limit spread of a major infectious disease than to go nuts in the total opposite direction.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't know, I think I'd take this as a sign that maybe Canada has the right idea with that stuff?

I mean, sure as shit makes more sense to go nuts to limit spread of a major infectious disease than to go nuts in the total opposite direction.

To be fair, their population is only about 12% of our own. So if our numbers were 8X as large as theirs, we'd be on par with each other. We're more like 80X as large. They're eevil soshulists, anyway, and we still have our freedumb. So there. Fuck you Libtard. Don't ask us to look out for anybody other than #1. No can do. Hail Trump. They're just trying to make him look bad even though he's doing a fantastic job.

Mar 11, 2004
would have been great if the door counter/mask checker said “we ask one member per household do the shopping, one of you please wait outside”

Yeah it'd be nice if they'd limit the amount of people in store to allow for proper social distancing, but I can only imagine what'd happen then.

I should've elaborated on my earlier response, my point being play completely dumb. Then when they tell you about asthma then freak out and be like "what are you guys even doing outside of your house?!? That sounds very dangerous you shouldn't even be risking your health like that during a pandemic of a deadly respiratory virus!" Then go up to the door greeter and say "what are you doing to stop the spread of asthma? These two over here have it and I don't wanna catch it!" Give the greeter a wink and a smirk that the other two can't see. Or start shouting "I think we need a doctor we have two people with asthma who say they're having a hard time breathing!"

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi